PDA

View Full Version : Parts Houses #@%@%#^$&

harbormaster
06-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I remember the good old days when parts house counter guys, actually knew something about what they were selling.

I went this morning to a few auto parts houses looking for starter bolts for my 502's.

All they had was blister packs of 4 bolts that you could pick from.

I asked about some Spark plugs. If I could not tell them what kinda car it was out of they could not help me. GGGRRRRRRR.

I freakin gave up and came home...

I guess I will go to west marine this next week and get them after they bend me over the counter.

BUIZILLA
06-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Scot, this is easy... measure the mount flange thickness on both positions of the starter, and i'll get you the correct GM part number from my SPO book, any Chevy store will have the correct knurled bolts in stock. I have done this more times than I care to admit...

Jim

Zudnic
06-13-2005, 11:08 AM
I hate when you ask for something and they think you might be wrong! Costco tire center: "I'll take 4 of these" Costco guy: "are you sure?" me: "yes" Costco guy: "well those will not fit a car" me: "thats because they are for my truck!" :wrench:

Craig S
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
All they had was blister packs of 4 bolts that you could pick from.

I asked about some Spark plugs. If I could not tell them what kinda car it was out of they could not help me. GGGRRRRRRR.

I.

That is exactly why I don't go to Auto Zone (auto nome) at all, and pick my O'Reillys where the other gear heads go. Don't know where you live, but the one at Shepherd and Washington have bolts in the back in boxes, fine/coarse/metric/ in diff lengths. Much cheaper than that blister sh..
also, I have had a good experience at the Seabrook store when my wholesaler doesn't have it.

AER/Blackburn (wholesalers) and Bluewater (both) seem to meet my needs better than West...IMHO

Tidbart
06-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Scott,
If this helps, NGK BR6FS w/.040 for all 502s
I usually know my part numbers before I go for the same reason you just stated.
Call ahead, the marine plugs may not be a normally stocked item, but they can get them.

B