PDA

View Full Version : Not Al Eagles, but...

TuxedoPk
06-12-2005, 12:55 AM
I was just looking over the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) regulations for 2005 (for absolutely no meaningful reason) and read the following on page 30:

"53 FRICTION
A boat shall not release or eject a substance, such as a polymer, or specially textured surfaces that could improve the character of the flow of water inside the boundry area."

What does this mean and why wouldn't it work to help our top speeds?

mattyboy
06-12-2005, 06:01 AM
there are many many things here that trouble me???

first i hope when you are "reading" the isaf manual you are "looking "at the pictures and not just "reading the articles :p

second it's not a planing hull

third its sounds like the isaf has no sense of humor

4th "ejecting a substance" that's pretty personal don't ya think, no wonder sailors get a bad name ;)

5th If you start looking for mp3's of the village people's "in the navy" I'm outta here

6th I'm sure there is some truth to less friction, such has wax causing little bubbles of air hence less drag , and I've been told a sanded hull will do the same,very much like the principal of a step hull, surfers wax their boards don't they

7th what's up with all this sailing stuff lately Tux ??? did you have a tramatic expierence during fleet week ???

8th all you sailors don't get your spinnickers in a knot just having a lil fun at Tux's expense :)

9th do the words bigblock gt v drive mean anything to you

10th Tux I'm beggin ya come back to us

;) :)

txtaz
06-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Too funny Matty. BTW, surfers wax the top of the stick (board) with Sex Wax for better grip.
Tux, I'm srarting to worry here. :rlol:
Wes

mattyboy
06-12-2005, 07:36 AM
top of the stick, sex wax, better grip ,ejecting a substance , :eek: this thread needs to be moved out of the performance section :rlol:

gold-n-rod
06-12-2005, 07:50 AM
BTW, surfers wax the top of the stick (board) with Sex Wax for better grip.

Umm, shouldn't a product called Sex Wax provide more slip and less grip? I'd sure hate to grab a tube of that stuff in the heat of the moment. :bonk:

:smile:

gcarter
06-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Could this possibly be an example of hijacking a thread?
Once again Matty, you're a funny guy. :smile:

mattyboy
06-12-2005, 08:04 AM

or a desperate cry for help ??? :p
I think we need a powerboat intervention here

no Gcarter I don't think it is hijacking I call it adding a lil spice and flavor, if you note there are references to the overall theme of Tux's thread less friction and their said effects on the increase of speed in my post, a hijacking would be let's say talking about getting old and moving to Fla in a thread about the length of trim tabs ;)

:rlol:

Fish boy
06-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Umm, shouldn't a product called Sex Wax provide more slip and less grip? I'd sure hate to grab a tube of that stuff in the heat of the moment. :bonk:

Doesnt come in a tube, more like a bar of soap in the shape of a can of dip. If you are reaching for either one of those in the heat of the moment... see matty's post above about scaring us :D

txtaz
06-12-2005, 08:08 AM

OK, I'll be serious here, or at least try.
Rich I have heard and tried waxing the bottom stern 1/3 of my boat and leaving it on (meaning wax on, no wax off...George I'm trying here :bonk: ) just prior to doing a speed run. It's supposed to give you 1 or 2 MPH increase. I think the idea is to break surface tension which is less effective on planing hulls than diplacement hulls since they have more surface area. BUT, remember these sailing guys are REALLY serious competitors and will do almost anything for an edge. I raced with a buddy once in California as a guest hand and I was shocked. These guys had training sessions, team meetings the night before and on the morning of the race, matching outfits, etc, etc. Talk about going overboard.
Wes

txtaz
06-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Doesnt come in a tube, more like a bar of soap in the shape of a can of dip. If you are reaching for either one of those in the heat of the moment... see matty's post above about scaring us :D

Especially since you are supposed to rub sand in with it for extra grip....Ouchhhh........... :banghead:

harbormaster
06-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Rich,

Probably the reason for this is that when sailing in a one design class, there is so much emphasis put on the "Alikeness" of all the boats that they discourage the use of hull treatments. Its as simple as that.

BUIZILLA
06-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Actually, it's elementary scientific's... the real question is, what *boundary* are they referring to...

:alligator

MOP
06-12-2005, 09:07 AM
We just recently had a boat/owner disqualified just for that reason, the owner (scoundrel that he is) had a gallon jug with something (that I still have not heard what was in it) that was routed to a wee tube at the bow so this guy could squeeze the jug and squirt the substance out while underway. He is a prominent yacht club brat, trying to be better then thou but got caught at it! The local yacht clubs are going back through the race records and his sail inventory to determine when his boat mysteriously jumped up about 4-5 seconds a mile. Man he is in big trouble with the rest of the snoot's and just may have to join our ranks! Did someone say BB and a Blower!!!

Written by a former serious rag racer still allowed to BS with the blow boat crowd though they no longer wave but give me the finger as I roar by in my "Stink Pot"!!

Bob
06-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Back in my youthful days of racing J/24's, (an ultra-competitive one design sailboat) we would wet sand the hull with 600 wet or dry before big races. Then rub in liquid ivory soap to make a hydophilic? boundary layer and to prevent any algae growth while the boat was in the water for the regatta. (Boat was always stored on trailer when not racing.)
Wax is hydrophobic, and repels water which actually slows the hull down due to turbulence at the hull-water interface.
On non-planing sailboats, this gives a minor advantage but not enough of one to overcome bad tactical mistakes.

gcarter
06-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Yup!
Ultimately, it's always the tacticians fault. Even if the wind dies on his part of the course, it's still his fault! :boat:

TuxedoPk
06-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Too funny! I came close to spitting out my coffee a few times reading these replies.

I would have responded sooner but I was listening to Margaritaville :boat:

What's up with the sailing? Prior to last week I'd never stepped foot in a sailboat but it has been on the list of my mid-life crisis checklist. Two years ago it was powerboating, this year I'm adding sailing. All that leaves is dating a 21 year old. Now if any of you have wives or girlfriends with 21 yo friends who like out of shape mid life crisis men.....

I took a 4 day sailing class in NY harbor on a J/24 last week. I had a great time and really enjoyed it although I couldn't remain silent as the instructor commented about those damn power boats! You know you still have the "disease" when you instinctively try to launch a sailboat off a wake.

An intervention won't be necessary, I'm not surrendering myself completely to the dark side.

"Talk about going overboard"- I'm glad nobody with a Donzi would ever be guilty of this.... GEOO, Doc, Todd, Byron, Jamie, yada yada yada

MOP
06-12-2005, 09:58 AM
George you hit that on the head, another is race committee both are bad positions, I have had a taste of both which at times are a lose lose jobs. There is one more that is even worse Commodore, I was thrilled to become commodore of Eastern Sailing Club. That lasted about two weeks then was a major pain until the next election which I was more then happy to lose!

Phil

Rootsy
06-12-2005, 10:02 AM
back when i was a young poor teen and pre-teen for that matter i had a couple of blow boats... nice sunday mornings at the late, cup of coffee zig zagging up and down the lake...

but alas i saw the dark side.. bought a donzi now i am everyone's alarm clock :eek!:

J

TuxedoPk
06-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Whether by power or by sail, in sun or mist, I think NY harbor is still one of the most beautiful places to boat.

I don't believe I'll grow old enough to ever look at the skyline again without feeling a great sense of loss.

Fish boy
06-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Tux, I figured out how you can get the 21 year old and fulfill your sailing dream. Get a sailboat, go to the yacht club and pick up the first chick that seems interested in sailing. Before you set sail, ask her invite her grandaughters too, one of them is bound to be 21 years old. :boat: LOL :D

BTW; Beautiful shots of NY harbor.

txtaz
06-12-2005, 11:33 AM
All that leaves is dating a 21 year old.

Rich, You're asking for a heart attack. Stay cool man. Remember Anna Nichol Smith? Why do you think that old Billionaire died? :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Talk about going overboard"- I'm glad nobody with a Donzi would ever be guilty of this.... GEOO, Doc, Todd, Byron, Jamie, yada yada yada

Yeah, I know I'm guilty but now as much as some. :yes: :yes:
Wes

olredalert
06-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Tux,

-----The 21 year old is third on your list?????.......Whats up with that, bud? Push that no.3 a bit higher than that. At least to no.2! 21 year old has to be above blow-boating. Is this fixation with sails some kind of weird reaction to fuel prices or something? Since its Sunday Ill put in a word for you to someone higher up. I know he will listen as its heavily rumored that he likes DONZIs............Bill S

gcarter
06-12-2005, 12:02 PM
The problem with 21 year olds is it's difficult to comunicarte with them, but then maybe that's not what you had in mind.......
Just watch Dr. Phil, frequently he has on couples like that. The guy is in his 50's and the girlfriend/wife is 25, and you just have to ask yourself; "What's wrong with this picture"? :yes:

TuxedoPk
06-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Bill, 10 years ago I'd probably had put the 21 yo as #1 on the list. At my age I'm still interested in sex but just like to see what's on cable first :)

Those young ones are great to look at but once you start talking with them you tend to feel older not younger anyway. Now a 21 yo mute.... hmm :propeller

My significant other is 15 years my senior... You all probably didn't realize you've been chatting with a "boy toy" these past two years-lol.

mattyboy
06-12-2005, 01:48 PM
with all this talk of sailing I can't get the movie with John Candy out of my head when he sails the restaurant in the big regatta and the lil chinese chef is throwing cases of fish sticks overboard :rlol:

I liken sailing to gliding, i am a very insecure person I need to hear the HP doing it's thing 4 miles off shore or 4 miles up I WANT TO HEAR FOSSIL FUELS BEING BURNT!!!! ;)

That also drowns out the 21yr old :)

Richard Rees
06-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Must be some thing in the Air, just got back from Houston looking at sailboats, want one bad. I have not been sailing in the last few years,but got the for cruising, looking at a Beneteau 423. Still selling program to wife.

Patti
06-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey..there is something to be said for us "older women" http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gif

As Andy Rooney put it...

Andy Rooney says:

As I grow in age, I value women who are over 30 most of all.

Here are just a few reasons why:

A woman over 30 will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

If a woman over 30 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do. And, it's usually something more interesting.

A woman over 30 knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom. Few women past the age of 30 give a damn what you might think about her or what she's doing.

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated.

A woman over 30 has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends. A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn't trust the guy with other women. Women over 30 couldn't care less if you're attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won't betray her.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 30. They always know.

A woman over 30 looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 30 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk if you are acting like one! You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise women over 30 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed hot woman of 30+, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year-old waitress.

Ladies, I apologize.
For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage...Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

Formula Jr
06-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 30 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.

Well said Patti.
Wouldn't trade my 45 year old womanfriend for a girl. Leave the girls to the boys, and the men to the women.

This thread had something to do with sail racing rules I guess.
I use to race Windmills, single class design, an there is something called a shaver that use to exist in wooden boats days. This is where you build or bought a boat and then shaved everything off of it. Till it was paper form in the non-critical places. It wasn't againt the rules. Sailers are nutcases on the extra knot. But to be honest, that shaved boat wasn't in the same class anymore, the wooden shaved one sailed faster.
Like the guys that will extend a transom to be in a bigger class. No body respects the people that win by these means. In an open class there should be no such rules. This rule I like though. It is defining a boundary between the sailor and his environment. You don't change the environment to favor your boat. You don't have the personal photo chopper lead your sails.

BUIZILLA
06-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I started in prams (actually finished 2nd and 3rd in the world in Junior Olympic's for 2 years).... I taught sailing at Miami Yacht Club and Coral Reef Yacht Club for 2 summers, sailed/taught in the Univ of South Fla/TPA-St. Pete Collegiate Series in Laser's and 420's...
then went on to own and/or compete >
Sunfish - wetter than a surfboard, boring, but easy
Moth - rare, but fast, lot of hiking
OK Dinghy - my favorite single hander, real cool boats, LOT of hiking
Snipe - awesome boats, masterful ability
Lightning - the name didn't fit this one, lot's of owner's though
Windmill - tricky to keep upright in rough weather
420 - reaaaalllll cool, great racing
Flying Dutchman - lot's of energy needed here
Star - wayyyy over rated
Scow - the plow, but fast as hell in a screaming downwind reach
Soverel 28 - family sled
Gulfstar 44 mid helm - ever faithful comfy daycruiser

:boat:

Formula Jr
06-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I wish there wasn't this big division of sail boaters and power boaters.
Hang off the tapezee in a Laser and sail when no else is out and sailing.
No body shows pics of a sail boat four feet in the air. Yet that happens.
And the fastest sail boat in the world is getting way past what most of us run. Not on water yet, but the land speed is 92. Water speed is in the fiftes now. Everything that happens with sailboats has application to powerboats.

Having spent alot of time at ego alley Annapolis, it was the guy that sailed in, tacked and sailed out,......... that was something to watch.

BUIZILLA
06-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I've ALWAYS wanted to compete in ice sailing...

man, that just look's like a TON of fun.

:cool!:

gold-n-rod
06-12-2005, 08:51 PM

I suppose that could be fun, but chopping a big enough hole in the ice for the boat just sounds like hard work.

:yes:

PS: That's why I don't ice fish, all that chopping..... :bonk:

Jack Frost
06-13-2005, 08:09 AM

let your feelings go my son, and turn to the dark side, fulfill your destiny.............

mattyboy
06-13-2005, 09:40 AM
ice fishing is a waste, you get them home fry them up and the melt away to nothing ;)
here ya go Jim did this once on the lake hit like 60 mph and froze my butt off