PDA

View Full Version : More prop stuff

John W
06-11-2005, 08:12 AM
I want to try a new prop on my 04 22 classic w/ 496ho. I called Turbo, because I had great luck with a turbo 1 on my 16 classic. The nice lady on the phone told me their props were only good for up to 300hp, The HO is rated at 425. She then gave me the phone number for Hydromotive. I figure all is well I can give my info to hydro and they can sell me a prop, however the whole team is out testing props till the 20th of this month.
I know we have gone over this before in earler threads , but what I am interested in is who has a 2002-2004 22 classic with the 496 HO, and what are you running prop wise? I currently have the stock mirage plus, 25 p, 71 mph on gps at 4900wot.
Would like to see some increased stability,read porposing reduction.
Thanks for the input.
Have a great day on the water I will tomorrow.
JW

boldts
06-11-2005, 10:17 AM
John, I'd recommend calling Turbo again and asking for Chris Boo. (Wrong spelling, but that's how it is pronounced) While Precission I believe builds the Hydromotive props for Hydromotive, there have been many running higher horse power engines here and using the Turbo1 for a prop. Turbo's new hot 3 blade prop is the TXP. Roadtrip ran one at AOTH and except for being the wrong pitch for his application, said it performed much like a 4 blade Hydromotive prop. Since the pitch wasn't correct, speed numbers can't be compared at this time unless Todd has since tried the TXP in the correct pitch. I have not talked to him recently.

Point is, I can't believe any prop company would send someone to another company with-out at least telling you what they have to offer in a high horse power props. Especially to a returning customer. Turbo developes props for tunnel boats of Formula 1 or what I believe is now called PROPS series and APBA. Most of their experience is with Bass boats and the Bass Tour, but they have attended AOTH for the last 4 years and know what kind of boats we have. Talk to Chris and tell him Scott Boldt from the Midwest Donzi Club told you to talk to him. My understanding is that they want prop customers to talk to them about performance needs. Maybe the lady you spoke to just wasn't quite up to speed yet. Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you. BTW, the Hydromotive Quad IV prop works very well on the Classic also. You'll lose some speed, but it really settles the handling down in high speed runs.

I want to try a new prop on my 04 22 classic w/ 496ho. I called Turbo, because I had great luck with a turbo 1 on my 16 classic. The nice lady on the phone told me their props were only good for up to 300hp, The HO is rated at 425. She then gave me the phone number for Hydromotive. I figure all is well I can give my info to hydro and they can sell me a prop, however the whole team is out testing props till the 20th of this month.
I know we have gone over this before in earler threads , but what I am interested in is who has a 2002-2004 22 classic with the 496 HO, and what are you running prop wise? I currently have the stock mirage plus, 25 p, 71 mph on gps at 4900wot.
Would like to see some increased stability,read porposing reduction.
Thanks for the input.
Have a great day on the water I will tomorrow.
JW

tmdog
06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
The lady you talked to at Turbo was more than likely Kathleen. I spoke to her on several occasions and she seemed hurried and had a personality tinged with curtness. Her answers for the right prop to run on a particular application was limited. I talked to Steve about my prop dillema, He was very helpful and knowledgeable on what type of prop to use. Talk to Chris or Steve about your setup. You will be satisfied.

blueliner
06-11-2005, 10:46 AM
could you provide contact info for turbo. i would be interested as well in a prop that help reduce the porpoise problem.

thanks

boldts
06-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Turbo Props - http://www.turbo-props.com/

John W
06-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Scott,
Thanks!!!! Chris hooked me up with a 26 txp should be here in a week, out of stock.
I post performance info after it arrives.
Thanks,
JW

Turbo Props - http://www.turbo-props.com/

roadtrip se
06-13-2005, 11:55 AM
from Madpoodle.

Looking to have it for 1000 Islands at a minimum.

I ran the 27 at AOTH and really liked it, but I was turning it into the
5500-5600 range, not good. Good stability, nice lift front and back, and really sweet mid-range accelleration. Still out to lunch on the top end, but we'll see how a little more pitch does.

Now the standard disclaimer, I have a 500HP motor turning an XR with IMCO 2 inch shortie, which gives my Classic handling characterstics that are different than most others. I have no earthly idea how it will handle on a more moderately powered boat with a stock x-dimension.

Never know until you try it!

RT

hyperlite98
06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi John,

A little off topic, could you tell me what pitch your Turbo 1 was for your 16? I am looking into swapping out my Merc Vengeance. Can you let me know what engine your 16 has aswell.

thanks,

Jeff

gold-n-rod
06-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi John,

A little off topic, could you tell me what pitch your Turbo 1 was for your 16? I am looking into swapping out my Merc Vengeance. Can you let me know what engine your 16 has aswell.

thanks,

Jeff

I'll answer for John, since I have the same 16 as he had (5.0 mpi powered). John really spoke highly of the Turbo 22P that he upgraded to. I am following his lead and am awaiting delivery of a 21P for my 16.

My boat had a Vengeance 19P on it when I got it. Great holeshot and mid range acceleration. Poor top end. I am having better luck with a Mach Sterndriver, 4 blade 20P, but I need it for my other boat.

HTH, sorry John, for butting in.

hyperlite98
06-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the response, I run the 4.3 Carb (190) stock. I guess I should be looking at a 19P Turbo 1. My boat shipped with a 19P vengeance but I was hitting the rev limiter at WOT, I suppose I can assume the larger diameter of the Turbo should help me out there.

cheers,
jeff

ChromeGorilla
06-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Scott,
Thanks!!!! Chris hooked me up with a 26 txp should be here in a week, out of stock.
I post performance info after it arrives.
Thanks,
JW

John, I am eagerly awaiting your results and opinions with the 26P TXP.... :D

I was gonna try the same prop but I guess you can be the guinea pig.... :garfield:

This may be my new prop....

RickSE
06-14-2005, 09:51 AM
John, good luck with the test. I'm also interested in your results.

Does anyon know if Turbo will let customers test props, i.e. run a prop and return for another if it's not the correct pitch? I thought I heard that Throttle-Up would let you do this.

gold-n-rod
06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the response, I run the 4.3 Carb (190) stock. I guess I should be looking at a 19P Turbo 1. My boat shipped with a 19P vengeance but I was hitting the rev limiter at WOT, I suppose I can assume the larger diameter of the Turbo should help me out there.

cheers,
jeff

Only speculation, but I don't think you want to stay at 19P. The 1" larger diameter of the Turbo can't be enough of a difference (I'll let you know after I try my new 13.25 x 21 Turbo). I think you need to increase the pitch, not just the diameter.

hyperlite98
06-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Only speculation, but I don't think you want to stay at 19P. The 1" larger diameter of the Turbo can't be enough of a difference (I'll let you know after I try my new 13.25 x 21 Turbo). I think you need to increase the pitch, not just the diameter.

Hi,

Why are you not going for the 14.25 diameter? Is the 13.25 better for a 16 Classic?

Jeff

gold-n-rod
06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi,

Why are you not going for the 14.25 diameter? Is the 13.25 better for a 16 Classic?

Jeff

I haven't any idea if the 13.25 is better than the 14.25. I saw it on eBay and thought, "What the hell, I'll give it a try." I'll keep you posted after I try it.

What I can tell you is that the Venegence 19P (also a 13.25, IIRC) on a 16 Classic isn't worth the powder it would take to blow it to pieces.

blackhawk
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
A 13.25 diameter prop is small. Geared toward smaller boats with low power. I would think a 14.25 would give you better performance. I would say there is probably 200 rpm difference between a 13.25 21 and a 14.25 21 Turbo.

hyperlite98
06-15-2005, 08:55 AM
A 13.25 diameter prop is small. Geared toward smaller boats with low power. I would think a 14.25 would give you better performance. I would say there is probably 200 rpm difference between a 13.25 21 and a 14.25 21 Turbo.

Would you say that the 14.25 would also have less slip than the 13.25? all thing being equal the 13.25 should be able to spin faster and therefore move the boat faster?

I feel as though I am slipping into madness trying to find the best prop!

cheers,
Jeff

blackhawk
06-15-2005, 09:33 AM
It may spin faster(more rpm) but if it has more slip it MAY not move the boat any faster. But, If I have learned anything about props in the last few weeks it's you don't know until you try it on YOUR BOAT! :D