PDA

View Full Version : Yayyyy, got it running

Lenny
06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
:) carb is back on with proper gasket for the Performer, lines all done and new distributor in. Bought a ballast resistor for the distributor/coil. Wrong one mind you. .8 cold and 1.75 hot. I will get the correct Mallory one another day. It has 12 initial and 37 total advance. The compression was great, cyl 1= 155 psi, ALL the rest 150 psi. Tightened up the rockers, turned in the idle mixture a bit as it was extremely rich idling at 800. Turned the choke OFF forever. All sounds good now, just got to get a new 5/16 " flame arrestor rod for the cover. Thunder and rain now, not sure what I am going to do. :(

Time for the Solas vs Ultra testing for sure. :yes:

A quick video (19MB) :D
http://www.donzi.net/mvi_0692.avi (11 second video, 4 minute downlaod)

ITTLFLI
06-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Looks good Lenny!

penbroke
06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Nice plumbing job! Looks great!

Are you going to remove the entire choke assembly or just leave it open? Just curious. I'm thinking about removing mine completely.

Frank

Lenny
06-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Leaving it there but I don't see any use for it. It is rich anyway at idle. The pain with the Demon is the choke rod travels through the perimeter where the air filter/flame arrestor normally sits so a pair of tin snips and a small relief diameter are required to place anything (5 1/8" ) on top of the carb.

I am going to try and find a K&N that will fit it and let the hatch close. I believe their lowest if 3 1/8" and I think it might fit. I just don't want to put myself in there, lower the hatch and have it accidentally latch on me so I am doomed to sniff gas fumes until someone comes home and WANTS to let me out...

It is close already with the tiny Bendix on there.

MOP
06-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Lenny 37 is a wee bit high most limit it to 34 I am running 32 for now, you may want to drop it down to 9 at the bottom.

Phil

BUIZILLA
06-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I was just sitting here thinking the same thing as MOP... :sombrero:

MOP
06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Would be a shame to hole a piston!!!!!

Lenny
06-10-2005, 09:08 PM
THANKS for the call MOP and noticing this. Jim too. I just got off the phone with the fella and he agreed it should be turned BACK, so about 8-9 initial and 34 all in.

Thanks you guys. Never went out in it other than driveway :D .

He said you can run higher levels with EFI and a knock sensor. Obviously I don't have that stuff. :(

So, long story short, we are gonna take here back to 34 all in.

Thanx

I hate being stupid about this stuff.

BUIZILLA
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Len, read your manual with that carb... I think it has an additional *idle mixture trimmer screw* down in the center area.

JH