PDA

View Full Version : Carpet remover?

Bob
06-09-2005, 07:05 PM
The previous owner of the Hornet lined the cockpit and ski-locker with a glue-down, rubber backed carpet. :mad: I pulled the carpet up easy, but the rubber backing and brown glue are firmly affixed to the gelcoat.

Anybody tackle this issue previously? What should I use, a dull putty knife and elbow grease? Any suggestions for solvents?

MOP
06-09-2005, 08:26 PM
I have run into that on a few of the spec boats I have played with, what I have used is Pettit Brushing thinner comes in a red/white can. You need to get the surface level so it will sit there and soak, it takes "several hours to overnight" to soften that stuff. Then I use a plastic window scraper it does not mark up hte gel, once you get most of it scrapped off then use a lot of rags and more of the thinner. Once done wash it with detergent and hot water to remove the oily residue.

Phil

Dr. Dan
06-09-2005, 09:19 PM
:smash: Bob..... I am not a big believer in Heavy or Agressive Solvents. Fact is you will wanna use a Plastic or FiberGlass Scraper of some sort...

My Suggestion is to contact a Reputable Flooring Store in your Area...ask them to explain a Safe Method for doing the Removal. If ya use a Metal Scraper you will hate the Result!

Also any heavy Solvent or disolver will off gas substantially...use alot of Fresh Air, a Fan placed far away and Blowing in your direction...and exercise Caution because these items can be very Flammable.

Again get the Flooring Store Advice....if you email me your number I will contact our Technical Dept and ask what they suggest as well.

Dr. Dan :bighug:
Regional Sales Manager
Mohawk Industries

MOP
06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Dan the Pettit Brushing is a very mild product, it is very similar to 3M glue remover but less offensive in odor and does the job better for less cost, it leaves a thin oily film that needs to be washed off later. It is about as harsh as Kerosine!

MOP
06-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Another point if you try to use anything that evaporates fast anything in the Acetone or Ketone family it will make the rubber based glues brittle as it dries and a B($#( to remove, done this for many years it is damn near fool proof. You have to use something that evaporates very slowly to allow the glue to be softened, plastic tools are a must to protect the gel surface.

Richard McCoy
06-10-2005, 12:43 AM
How about WD40? Spray it on let it set wipe it off.

MOP
06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
WD40 is good for small jobs, works a little slower and is more expensive and requires more clean up.

Phil

MrsDigger
06-11-2005, 03:07 AM
In theory, canola oil is supposed to remove sticky crap from plastics. I've never actually tried it, but it might be worth a shot.

My personal favorite is "Goop." Smells noxious, but works like a champ. Imperial cleaner would also work, I bet. It comes in a red and yellow can, and can usually be found in the laundry/cleaning aisle at Kroger/Dillons stores.
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/9134834/prd/13868253/ccsyn/260/ccsid/413965444-1079/adtg/06090541

fasttrucker
06-11-2005, 07:18 AM
How about 3-m addhesive remover?works on stickers and marks from rubs with docks.Ive used it....wont hurt paint.

MOP
06-11-2005, 07:38 AM
About the same a s the Pettit as I mentioned about just a little more expensive.

Phil

Bob
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The worst part will be the inclined footrests and the vertical portions. :bawling:

MOP
06-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The worst part will be the inclined footrests and the vertical portions. :bawling:

Wet paper towels ans lay them on the non flat surfaces to keep them damp give it several hours to soften it up.

Another very good use for the Pettit is if you have Plexi Glass that the protective paper has become stuck to it wet the paper with the Pettit let it sit for about 30-45 minutes then peel the paper off easier then when it was new.