PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Mosquito Magnet or equiv?

harbormaster
06-09-2005, 05:37 PM
The little mosquito beasties are out again.

Anyone use a Mosquito Magnet or equivelent?

Did it work? What would you recommend?

Marlin275
06-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Was just reading this today.
20 cents per house

Fungui destroy mosquitoes

To bring the insect-killing powers of fungi into the home, Matt Thomas of Imperial College London and colleagues made an oil-based spray of the Beauveria bassiana fungus. The oil helps to keep moisture locked in and allows the fungus to thrive. When the team exposed mosquitoes to a surface sprayed with this concoction, not only did many of the insects die, but those that survived were less able to transmit the malaria parasite to humans. This made for a striking 80-fold reduction in the number of mosquitoes able to transmit malaria, they report in Science2.

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050606/full/050606-13.html

Mac
06-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I have one, I bought it in July last year, it made a difference last year and I got a late start, I have had it out a month already and it seems to be making a difference, I base this on being in my yard and then going to my neighbor’s yard, my yard definitely has less mosquitoes. I bought it direct, a refurbished model and saved $100 over HD and Lowes. I have the Liberty, this is it

, http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/productlib.html

this is the refurb page,
http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/freedom.html

Worth the money.

MOP
06-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I have a friend with one of those propane jobs it works well, not sure what the costs involved are I will try to see.

Phil

dfunde01
06-09-2005, 07:34 PM
The little mosquito beasties are out again.

Anyone use a Mosquito Magnet or equivelent?

Did it work? What would you recommend?
I bought the big one a few years ago. Found very few bodies in the trap less than 10) after a few days use. Based on that I was not impressed.

Dave

Zudnic
06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm lucky in that my neighbors all use pesticides on their orchards, so bugs are not a problem for me. I'll check and see what organic growers use. :umbrella:

Mac
06-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I bought the big one a few years ago. Found very few bodies in the trap less than 10) after a few days use. Based on that I was not impressed.

Dave

Depending on where in the breeding cycle the mosquitos are will dictate to some extent what you catch in the trap in the short term, the instructions say it needs to be running 24/7 for 4 to 6 weeks before you will notice any significant reduction in mosqitos.

dfunde01
06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Depending on where in the breeding cycle the mosquitos are will dictate to some extent what you catch in the trap in the short term, the instructions say it needs to be running 24/7 for 4 to 6 weeks before you will notice any significant reduction in mosqitos.

6 weeks of 24/7 would be over three 20lb tanks of propane. I've found that fogging every few days around the house for a week or so is much more effective.

Dave

MOP
06-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Scot I can't afford those fancy gizmos, I buy a $10 can of powdered stuff from Agway and sprinkle it all around the yard keeps the little buggers away for about a week cheaper then propane.

Phil

Patti
06-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Mosquitos have been absolutely terrible here..since we live right on the lake..but the ticks have been even worse..i've already found two on me and been bitten once..not pleasant :(

MrsDigger
06-10-2005, 01:49 AM
I bought some bug killer that you sprinkle on the yard, and it seems to work exceptionally well. We don't have much for a lawn in the back as of yet, and there are low spots that hold moisture for a week, after a good rain. This stuff has killed almost all the noxious bugs out there. I don't remember the brand, but I got it at Lowe's.

Before I tried the lawn bug killer, I used UltraThon, which is an insect repellent (like OFF, but better) that doesn't smell too bad, and it repels everything. Consumer Reports gave it their highest rating, and I think it's working well for Digger in Iraq, also.

I should also offer this caveat...bugs don't bite me. Maine blackflies don't bite me, mosquitos don't bite me, chiggers don't bite me...but I hate the swarming stuff. The only things that seem to want a piece of me (erm, the only non-human things, liberals and buxom New Hampshirites notwithstanding!) are what we called "horseflies" out west, ("mooseflies" in Maine), and they tend to take a large chunk of skin out when they bite. Ultrathon repels them, as well. (It is possible that these creatures actually do bite me, but I don't notice it because I don't seem to have an allergic reaction to their saliva/toxin...I don't get poison ivy or poison oak, either...)

p729lws
06-10-2005, 02:59 AM
I have one, I bought it in July last year, it made a difference last year and I got a late start, I have had it out a month already and it seems to be making a difference, I base this on being in my yard and then going to my neighbor’s yard, my yard definitely has less mosquitoes. I bought it direct, a refurbished model and saved $100 over HD and Lowes. I have the Liberty, this is it

, http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/productlib.html

this is the refurb page,
http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/freedom.html

Worth the money.

What Mac said! :yes:

I have the Defender model and definately have fewer mosquitoes than my neighbors. A tank of propane lasts about 5-6 weeks running 24/7. I clean the trap with every tank change and can not begin to count all those dead little guys! :eek!:

I don't think they will work unless you run them 24/7. They get held in the trap by the suction of the fan and suffocate because the CO2 from the propane combustion is drawn through the trap. They would fly out if you turned the machine off often. They work by decreasing the size of each successive generation so you have to run them all season which is almost all year for us. :bawling: On the negative side, they will not work well in windy areas because new populations are always blowing in. We got alot more in the trap after Ivan last year.

There has to be a better way to control these than burning that much propane, but I haven't found it yet :rolleyes: I'm running the Mosquitoe Magnet until then.
Dan