PDA

View Full Version : buffing/polishing advise

smokediver
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
I have been seeing a lot of posts regarding faded stripes / gelcote / paint ... I would like to share my 14 years of experience doing this on my off days from the fire dept . I will start by saying that I mostly work on boats that are painted , however , it works equally well on gelcote . I am not going to knock any products as product familiararity is real important ... I will just say what works for me after doing this for so long ...
1. Start with a clean , dry surface even if you are gonna wet sand , dry it first .
2. Go light and work backwards , meaning , try a compound before taking out the sand paper ... If you are going to sand , you don't need and extra cut compound ..
3. Usually , a suface that is wetted and looks great , can look that way dry , just need to take your time and you will get a great result ..
4. If you do wet sand , you don't need a white wool pad , a good foam cutting pad is way better .. 3m makes foam cutting and polishing pads and while they are expensive , they are very good . Remember how tandy computers were amazing when they first came out ? So were white wool pads ... Now there is foam ...
5. Start with 800 grit paper and a sanding block , don't use your bare hand ! If you need to go heavier than 800 , get some help from someone unless you have a good knowledge of what you are doing .
6. After sanding with 800 take a good look at the finish ... Make sure the blemishes are out that you were after ...
7. Now , to get excellent gloss , you need to reduce the size of the scratches made by the 800. Switch over to 1000 then 1500 ... Happy now ? OK ... I go down to 2000 ... Like I said earlier , if you sand , sand , forget the extra cut compound ... On hard finishes like Awl-Grip.... you need to go all the way to 2500 ... that is a hard paint !
8. ok, the sanding is done and it has been washed again and dried ... Now for the compound ... I prefer 3m rubbing compound # 5933 .. Don't get super duty 3m compound , unless you plan on buffing your dock box , then i would apply that with a white wool pad :) ... Start out nice and slow applying the material in about a 2 - 3 foot section . Increase the speed to about 1800-2200 rpm. This is applied with a white FOAM pad . See how the scratches are getting smaller , now they are swirls .
9. Switch over to a black polishing pad and use a good swirl remover .. 3m makes an excellent swirl remover , for both light and dark colors ... Apply like the compound to start , but increase the speed to about 2500 rpm ... Looking wet now !!!!
10 . finish off with a good carnuba wax . If your finish was real bad , you will need to wax about once a week until the finish stays ..
I hope this helps ... Below is a black Hinckley, yeah , I know , they are way over priced and I am still trying to figure out why they are ! ... I maintain the finish on about 14 or 15 of these here in town ... Most are dark colored and all are painted .. I have no choice but to work in the direct south florida sunlight .. It can be brutal in August !

Pismo
06-09-2005, 08:33 PM
If I am using a mild to moderate compound for light oxidation (no sanding required), what pad would be best, the cutting pad (yellow I think), the white, or the black polishing.

Thanks

smokediver
06-09-2005, 09:46 PM
I would compound with a cutting pad , probably the white pad you have , followed by a good machine or hand glaze , then wax ..

txtaz
06-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Hey Smoke, Thanks for the info. I was just getting ready to tackle my stripe again. This time sanding. How long does the finish stay shiny and wet looking?
I got a summer out of compounding and waxing and the boat stays inside.
Wes

blue-z
06-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Smoke diver is ooooooooooonnnnnnnnn the money. With time and patience anything will shine. I even did my 4 blade ss prop and it turned out awesome. I could see my bald head shining in the reflection.
If you mess up a paint job on a car it can be brought to show quality with this method. It is all about straight line reflection!!!

Trueser
06-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Another great product to get the shine back on is 3M 6025 ! It comes in a gallon and it really puts the high gloss shine back. Check some of my before and after pictures.

And yes it does take alot of time.....

Tidbart
06-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey John,

Good post. A question for you. I did sand the boat this year as it was time.
Speaking with a 'Professional' paint guy at the local autobody supply, he told me to change direction with each pass of sand paper. I did 600 one way, 800 across that, 1200 back the same as the 600, etc., until got to 1500. It came out fine. I then went to the compounds, polishes, and wax.

Anyway, do you sand the same direction each time??? Every post that I have ever read on the board didn't say anything about this. What do you think? I am sure the paint guy knew his stuff.

PS How's it going down there?? It is near time for a road trip to Naples.

Bob

Moody Blu'
06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
this is a awesome post, my buddy paint lamborginis ferraris etc and thats how he buffs them out.... hes the best on the east coast imho

smokediver
06-11-2005, 07:46 AM
The longevity of the finish really depends on a lot of things like where it is kept and so on . Bob , Naples is wet !!!! I haven't had any time to get my boat going yet :bawling: Would enjoy seeing you guys .. I think you are still one up on me ! The cross direction sanding was maybe recommended to make sure you removed the scratches from the heavier grit . I don't do it because on a big hull side it would be difficult sanding from the water line to the rub rail . I go parallel with the rub rail . They key really is to rinse and dry a lot to check your work and rinse the paper often so that it doesn't get loaded up . Soaking them in a bucket for about 10 minutes prior to sanding with a little boat soap in there is really helpful ...

Pismo
06-11-2005, 08:45 AM
I have been using wool pads and light compound with some success and have tried the foam cutting pad but it seems to load up very quickly. Can these pads be washed out and used again, can a wool pad be washed out?

Thanks