PDA

View Full Version : Prop Testing

dfunde01
06-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Does anyone in the Lake Lanier area have a Quad IV or Tubo I prop in 19 to 21 P that I can rent, buy cheap, or borrow for testing on the 05 Classic 16 4.3 MPI?

Thanks,

Dave

BigGrizzly
06-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Funny you should ask. As I said before you need to come over to Big Grizzly's training camp. I don't know all the answers but I hav had a 16 since 1966

dfunde01
06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I realize that it has been over 25 years since I spent any time playing with "speed boats" but I am at a loss with the lack of technical spec info provided by Donzi and Merc with their products. I have combed both the Merc installation and owners manual trying to answer two simple questions. What is the drive ratio on the Alpha 1 with the 4.3? Is the 4.3 Alpha LH or RH rotation (I know I can tell from the existing prop, but that doesn't count)? After 30 minutes I threw my hands up and uttered expletives. The Merc manual did strongly state that it is the mfg's responsibility to deliver the boat with the proper prop for the configuration. I guess that is why they shipped in with the wonderful Vengenance 21P. But if I need tranny gear ratios of rear end ratios for any of my cars it is pretty sinple to pull the manual and look them up. Thanks for letting me vent a tad. If someone can answer those two questions I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Dave

dfunde01
06-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Funny you should ask. As I said before you need to come over to Big Grizzly's training camp. I don't know all the answers but I hav had a 16 since 1966
I sent you an e-mail yesterday requesting admission. Call me, I am anxious to learn at your knee ;>)

Dave

BigGrizzly
06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
My E-Mail is rccarabelli@charter.net. The drive ratio is stamped on the left side of the out dribe right below the Alpha 1 sticker. Gota go still moving stuff to new lake house.

tmdog
06-09-2005, 08:28 PM
I have a 19p ss. The brand is a merc. I believe. Been in the attic for some time. Where do you lauch your boat from? I use Long Hollow or Vann's Tavern on the Forsyth side.

dfunde01
06-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a 19p ss. The brand is a merc. I believe. Been in the attic for some time. Where do you lauch your boat from? I use Long Hollow or Vann's Tavern on the Forsyth side.

I usually launch at Big Creek. I will be at Hartwell tomorrow and Sunday hoping that most of the rain will be a little farther South. I wonder if your 19P Merc prop shares the same traits of the 21P Merc Vengenance I am running now? Do you recall how your boat reacted to the 19P when you last used it? I am looking forward to meeting the Lanier Donzi folks and will welcome the opportunity to give the prop a run if we can sync up.

Thanks,

Dave

gold-n-rod
06-10-2005, 04:20 PM
I wonder if your 19P Merc prop shares the same traits of the 21P Merc Vengenance I am running now? Do you recall how your boat reacted to the 19P when you last used it?

Your boat will leap out of the water like it was shot from a cannon. Mid range, you'll open the throttle and you'll get pressed hard back into the seat. You'll over rev at high speeds and get worse results that you are currently experiencing. Try it and then tell me I was spot on.

:banghead:

dfunde01
06-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Your boat will leap out of the water like it was shot from a cannon. Mid range, you'll open the throttle and you'll get pressed hard back into the seat. You'll over rev at high speeds and get worse results that you are currently experiencing. Try it and then tell me I was spot on.

:banghead:

Fiesty after the tach switch call, aren't we ;>). Remember this is a 4.3 MPI, but I also think a 19 might be a tad to little bite. What I don't know yet is what RPM WOT is with the 21 Vengenance since I have not done any WOT runs still being under 10 hours on breakin. I would like to be able to pull my football player son on his wake board, big kid on a big board. A 21P may be just fine. I am really looking forward to trying a four blade, a Turbo, and maybe a Solas. If we can get it sync'ed I'll accept golden rods kind offer and document what it does with a 19P. It is just punishing to stay out cruising around with the Vengenance without blasting around a 75% power. That is why I'd like to try something a little tamer to get through the break in period

MOP
06-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Fiesty after the tach switch call, aren't we ;>). Remember this is a 4.3 MPI, but I also think a 19 might be a tad to little bite. What I don't know yet is what RPM WOT is with the 21 Vengenance since I have not done any WOT runs still being under 10 hours on breakin. I would like to be able to pull my football player son on his wake board, big kid on a big board. A 21P may be just fine. I am really looking forward to trying a four blade, a Turbo, and maybe a Solas. If we can get it sync'ed I'll accept golden rods kind offer and document what it does with a 19P. It is just punishing to stay out cruising around with the Vengenance without blasting around a 75% power. That is why I'd like to try something a little tamer to get through the break in period

I have delivered several hundred new boats both I/O and O/B, after initial setup and check we would do a couple of WOT runs and prop the boat to its highest RPM range, we always went high because owner pile so much junk aboard it saved us from re-proping at the 10 hour check. Short WOT bursts just enough to see where the top RPM is don't hurt, never broke one in 30+ years.

Phil