PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Front Ski Box on 22C

RickSE
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Has anyone ever considered removing the ski box on a 22-Classic. The one on my boat is absolutely useless and hinders storage more then it helps. The dang thing is too short and won't even hold a set of normal length skis. It's more like a wakeboard box. :frown:

I'm seriously considering removing mine, leaving the foot rests and finishing off the abundance of room under the front deck.

Are the ski boxes on the older 22's short? The box on my 96' 18 was perfect, plenty long enough for skis. What happened??

Trueser
06-09-2005, 03:57 PM
I had a hard time deciding what to do on mine. I decided to leave it the same. The glass guy really wanted to change it. I agree it would be nice to install a floor and carpet.

Anyway good luck with your decision...

Tom Davis
06-09-2005, 04:06 PM
I've been considering that modification for awhile now. Making sure to leave enough of the structure intact, then filling and slightly padding the storage space under the deck. I may be doing this modification over the winter this year. The cost would be minimal, the mess will be a major cleanup, but the end result I think will be cool.

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Dr. Dan
06-09-2005, 06:55 PM
:spongebob OK, it was 2 Owner's Rally's ago, I don't know if it was Budmann, his friends or who...but a 22 came into the Saturday BBQ with some interesting acoutrements(Hotties) and the 2nd most noticeable thing was the Boat had the entire under side carpet off, Subfloored off and it looked cool.

I apologize cuz I was "Destracted at the Time" but I never really took note of who's boat it was or much else...Trust Me..anyone who was there...understands what I am talking about- anyway who was that?

I think it might be pretty cool...wouldn't wanna go too heavy on the Flooring due to weight and Center of Gravity...but it would be cool. :beer:

Doc...Remembering Some Heavenly Visions!

MOP
06-09-2005, 08:13 PM
I also have looked at decking it over with a light cored deck, what initially stopped me was the forward tank with its fill hose coming up in the way. Now that I put a new tank aft like the late models that may be a fall project, first need to get this thing wet and working!

Phil

tmdog
06-09-2005, 08:21 PM
The removable box was taken out and stored in the attic for three yrs. I got tired of seeing bilge water everytime I lifted the hatch for locker. It was the place I stored my tool box for emergency repairs. Last month I got some plastic stips and made a floor and overed the whole compartment with a grey indoor/outdoor carpet. I could'nt be more pleased. I used double back tape to secure carpet. First chance I get will post pic. Jim :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

RickSE
06-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this. We pack our boat a lot for camping and I really think this mod would make the boat easier to pack. I also did the indoor/outdoor carpet addition, placing some up front last year. I don't want to add any major flooring, just maybe smooth things out, add some padding & vinal, and improve the access.

tmdog, sounds like you just unscrewed and removed the entire front section?? I'd have too look again but is this possible? Only downside I see to this is that you'd loose the footrests.

pmreed
06-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Bud and Jody's friend, Paul, who owns the Undertow bar on St. Pete Bch, is the guy with the red 22 with the whole front section of the cockpit flooring removed. He's decked over and carpeted the space forward. Great Idea in my opinion. I don't recall whether he installed footrests or not, but I would. Probably some sort of flip-up device.

Phil

Dr. Dan
06-10-2005, 05:17 PM
:bighug: Thanks Phil for clearing that Mystery Up for me...

Doc :smash:

RickSE
04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
This is on Ebay right now. Pretty interesting. I don't think I'd do it this way but still kinda cool. I think there is much more room if the floor is a little lower and no side walls. Just a nice vinal pad to fill in the floor space with light padding on the inside hull sides and underside of the deck. Nothing too heavy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-DONZI-CLASSIC-22-CUSTOM-EVERYTHING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31271QQitemZ 4635658774QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

ChromeGorilla
04-28-2006, 06:09 PM
How about 560 HP goin to that Alpha 1.......:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ChromeGorilla
04-28-2006, 06:39 PM
MOP.... I didn't enlarge the pictures and really look... I was just going of his own description......

Vehicle Description

1994 22’ Donzi Classic, CUSTOM EVERYTHING! This is the ultimate performance/play boat. ONLY 28 HRS. on this brand new custom-built 502 engine (560 HP!), 1 pc. stainless steel Stainless Marine water injected headers, this boat has been COMPLETELY redone, new racing motor mounts and stringers, dual batteries, pwr steering Kiekhaefer throttle, white Gaffin gauges, big Kiekhaefer tabs, Alpha 1 w/ bullet drive lower unit, Cust. built coolers and seats, fresh water pump with 25 gal. tank, Cust. rug, Cust. built cabin with storage bins, AM/FM/CD marine radio w/ 4 JBL marine speakers, comes w/ snap on cockpit cover and heavy duty Torino trailer w/ mag wheels. This boat was built to impress with only the best components over $60,000.00 invested. Call for more info. (786) 290-9242

Pismo
04-28-2006, 08:28 PM
My box blows as well. The first thing I would do is reroute the gas fill if center type. There must be a way to remove the box and keep the rests, lots of cutting I guess. I would love to see a picture of one of these carpet finished ones. There seems like a lot of space up there.

MOP
04-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Just don't put to much weight up front it will slow you down.

yeller
04-29-2006, 10:36 AM
I am definately removing mine before the end of the summer. I know the purists will disagree but I think it's a waste of space. I plan on taking the whole thing out (so it could be put back in, if desired) and installing a floor/pad with removeable footrests.

...wouldn't wanna go too heavy on the Flooring due to weight and Center of Gravity...

Because the floor will be resting on the stringers, you wouldn't have to use more than 1/2 plywood. I would think this would weigh considerably less than the present locker. :)

MOP
04-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Even with the fill pipe coming up the middle if there was an area from the foot rests to the pipe from chine to chine a fairly decent sized rectangle that would give quite a bit of storage space. We are talking storage aren't we! Kinda tight for indoor sports!

Budmann
04-29-2006, 03:46 PM
You are right Phil. Paul did a great job with that!! Cost him 4k to do the entire thing but wow is it nice!!!
He carpeted the entire bottom and sides of the deck and put a fiberglass floor under the deck. He then had a friend of ours that does great cushons make two v-birth cushons. he left the fill in the same place and doesn't appear to get in the way at all.

TONS of storage and a good place to get out of the weather. He has even spent the weekend on it with his girlfriend at Southseas.

All he needs is a port-a-podie and he could sell it as a cruiser!!!:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

yeller
04-30-2006, 11:54 PM
You are right Phil. Paul did a great job with that!! Cost him 4k to do the entire thing but wow is it nice!!!
He carpeted the entire bottom and sides of the deck and put a fiberglass floor under the deck...
Wow, 4k is quite a bit just for more storage space and a pad. Wish I had customers like that when I was in the business. :biggrin:
That said, sounds like he did it right. :yes: If you're going to remove the ski locker, carpet the entire area to give it a professional, finished look. Rick, if you're planning on doing it yourself, give me a call. I still have an account at the upholstery wholesaler. I'll get you a price on the material to carpet the entire area and if you like I'll bring it to Powell for ya.