PDA

View Full Version : Another Dumb Merc Question!

MOP
06-09-2005, 02:55 PM
On my Alpha there was a big black square Oring that went on the drives snout to keep water out of the U joint area, does the Bravo use the same thing? The mounting kit only comes with the small stuff.

Phil

marcdups
06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Phil, the bravo only comes with one somewhat rectangular O ring and a regular O ring for the shift, I normally put some bellows adhesive on them or perfect seal. Also do not omit changing the O rings on the output shaft.

RickR
06-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Phil
The front of the upper gearcase goes against the aft part of the bellows. No extra O-ring.
I use Hylomar (Permatex product) for a good seal.

MOP
06-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys!

With all the crap I have laying around from a few drive packages I grabbed one of the big Orings and stuffed it in there, when I pulled the drive it was munched! I did Adhesive M all the orings and I grease the heck out of the bore & snout also use non hardening gasket compound on the mating surfaces.

Phil

Rootsy
06-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Standard alpha mounting... Gen I uses 2 o-rings on the input shaft to seal in gimble bearing... new GEN II uses an additional o-ring for sealing grease into newer extended couplers...

you also have the big ole main gasket, a round o-ring for sealing the water passage...

finally you have a CUSHION... the BIG ROUND SQUARE PROFILE rubber slips into the bellhousing BEFORE installing the drive...

JR

MOP
06-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Jamie it is the BH drive on a 04 Bravo ginble only two shaft rings, and now I know not to put the the big Oring on the Bravo snout.

phil

jstokes8407
06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
So will it be ready for this weekend ??? It is supposed to be another perfect weekend.. Hope 2 meet up with U soon
John

MOP
06-09-2005, 09:44 PM
So will it be ready for this weekend ??? It is supposed to be another perfect weekend.. Hope 2 meet up with U soon
John

I caught the weather earlier was showing some rain Sat & iffy Sun, I will get the drive back on tomorrow. I picked up the prop from the machine shop did the final fitting this afternoon, I should be able to bay test late tomorrow or Sat with rain gear.

Phil