PDA

View Full Version : Can trim tabs be too long?

harbormaster
06-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I have a pair of the long K-Planes (approx 3') for my 31 foot boat. Would it hurt to use them?

MOP
06-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Scot I have read that longer tabs are in fact some what better then wider ones. I have seen posts and spoken to a few of the performance boat owners that have gone to longer tabs and really like the quicker action but also cautioned that they need to be mounted with the trailing edges higher so they do not create drag. Not sure how to figure that on a long boat and also compensating the running attitude. I would go ahead and use them, just try for decent input on how high the trailing edges should be up when fully retracted. Maybe a trip to OSO would help, a lot more big stuff up there.

Phil

roadtrip se
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
When I tried a longer set last year, I lost 3-4 mph.

Needless to say, they came off.

We did like the way the boat handled in big water with them,
but I couldn't stand the scrubbed speed at all.

Next!

RT

MOP
06-09-2005, 06:35 PM
I think the lose of speed has to do with getting them mounted with the trailing edges high enough, that is what the fellows I spoke with said. Still think with Scot's size boat OSO is the place to ask.

Phil

blackhawk
06-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Should work great on a boat of that size. Like Phil said they need to be mounted so they don't scrub speed. Just be careful and get used to them as bigger tabs can "trip" the boat.

roadtrip se
06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
My current and original Bennett tabs have clipped ram stops getting them higher than stock for just the reason you are talking about.

The Victory rams that I tried out had even higher mounting points than the Bennetts to get them higher still. They were nineteen inches and too much tab for a 22 Classic.

Before stepping into a Donzi, I had three Fountain offshore boats, two were 32 feet, one had really big power. I put 380 k-planes on it in place of the 280s and regretted it the first time, and only time, I ran it. The boat would grab a tab and try to hook over at the worst possible time.

HM, a 31-foot boat doesn't need that much tab, unless you intend to drag them all of the time, because you'll never get them high enough to keep them from doing spooky things to your handling.

Of course, you never know until you try it...

gcarter
06-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Before stepping into a Donzi, I had three Fountain offshore boats, two were 32 feet, one had really big power. I put 380 k-planes on it in place of the 280s and regretted it the first time, and only time, I ran it. The boat would grab a tab and try to hook over at the worst possible time.

Todd, can you address this a bit more?

Moody Blu'
06-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Todd, can you address this a bit more?
grabbin a tab sounds like they were mounted to low.

harbormaster
06-10-2005, 06:28 AM
This is a good thread.

What is the definition of a "spooky thing" or "trip" a boat?

blackhawk
06-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Tripping a boat is when the bow of the boat starts to come up from a wave, but then the tabs hit on the next wave (usually because they are down to far) and "trips" the boat forcing the bow down quickly and usually stuffing it.

roadtrip se
06-10-2005, 08:56 AM
hit it right on the head on the "tripping" part. Not fun at all for friends and family in the boat with you! By the way Scott, I have seen boats running all out with the tabs all the way up, trip for any number of reasons. Very ugly.

But of course, then there is the "hooking" part. Not as bad, but a sure test of your intestinal fortitude. Basically, the boat is running flat and the water conditions change from one side or the other, resulting in a momentary lean, and then bam, the tab grabs, and the boat gives you a good look at the water before righting itself. Kind of like somebody threw an anchor out off of one side while under way.

As a comparsion, imagine the lean we see in the Classics on a planned turn, but at 80+ mph and with no warning. Now that will get your attention.

Finally, as for the mounting point issue. I went down the road of temporary insanity with twin 800's in a Fountain 32 with the intent of running with the big dogs at the 1000 Islands Poker Run. I had the help of a former F2 racer and current OSS Supercat racer in set up. He built a 38 with twin 1000's, just to be sure he could stay ahead of me. We had access to all of the rigging tricks that you could imagine. Fun days, but take the money that we spend on messing with our Donzi toys and quadruple it! We had the tabs mounted correctly...

This IS a great thread, thanks for something new to noodle on HM!

RT

turbo2256
06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Walk around the pits at an offshore race and check out the tabs. Some are machined off in length, width and/or sides. Some trimming is for clearance usualy the inside edge. Other boats might have extensions added to one or more edges.

Dr. Dan
06-10-2005, 09:40 AM
:wavey: Now I understand where the Name "Road - Trip" comes from Fountain Boy....you drank from the unholy water of ridiculous horsepower and copious amounts of Torque....and where has that left you?

With an over powered tempermental 22 Classic that consumes dollars at only a fraction of the rate of your Fountain Water Toys....don't you ever learn?

No of course not....once you drink from that fountain.... :rlol: you are pretty much screwed...

Doc of Never Ending Antagonism :smash:

gcarter
06-10-2005, 01:07 PM
hit it right on the head on the "tripping" part. Not fun at all for friends and family in the boat with you! By the way Scott, I have seen boats running all out with the tabs all the way up, trip for any number of reasons. Very ugly.

But of course, then there is the "hooking" part. Not as bad, but a sure test of your intestinal fortitude. Basically, the boat is running flat and the water conditions change from one side or the other, resulting in a momentary lean, and then bam, the tab grabs, and the boat gives you a good look at the water before righting itself. Kind of like somebody threw an anchor out off of one side while under way.

As a comparsion, imagine the lean we see in the Classics on a planned turn, but at 80+ mph and with no warning. Now that will get your attention.

Finally, as for the mounting point issue. I went down the road of temporary insanity with twin 800's in a Fountain 32 with the intent of running with the big dogs at the 1000 Islands Poker Run. I had the help of a former F2 racer and current OSS Supercat racer in set up. He built a 38 with twin 1000's, just to be sure he could stay ahead of me. We had access to all of the rigging tricks that you could imagine. Fun days, but take the money that we spend on messing with our Donzi toys and quadruple it! We had the tabs mounted correctly...

This IS a great thread, thanks for something new to noodle on HM!

RT
So Todd, could this bepart of the answer about my thread on my Minx?
One thing though, at Cumberland Lake it also rolled badly on getting on plane (three times).

roadtrip se
06-10-2005, 01:37 PM
O' Greek wise man of ever expanding horsepower and bigger prop pitches, you are but at the shallow end of the pool of never ending expenditures in search of that added rush of adrenaline like a crack junkie in search of the next hit! Think drives, steering, and four blades O' innocent babe in the woods! Yes Weedhopper, come deeper to the edge of handling craziness, where the sun shines in your eyes unexpectedly as your bow points to the sky at 80, and your passengers search desperately for grab handles! The water is deep and cold. Fear the rooster, O' teal bling bling boy!

Waiting for you to catch up and enjoying every minute of it...

The Evil Twin,

Road----"Trip" SE

roadtrip se
06-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Possible, very possible.

Were you evenly loaded with all of those riders in the boat?
If you had a little load-induced lean going on, there could have been a distinct chance of a tab hooking over.

Have you run the boat with stock Bennetts?

RT

turbo2256
06-10-2005, 02:09 PM
how about these
http://arneson-industries.com/Arneson%20Rocker%20Plates.htm

Dr. Dan
06-10-2005, 05:35 PM
O' Greek wise man of ever expanding horsepower and bigger prop pitches, you are but at the shallow end of the pool of never ending expenditures in search of that added rush of adrenaline like a crack junkie in search of the next hit! Think drives, steering, and four blades O' innocent babe in the woods! Yes Weedhopper, come deeper to the edge of handling craziness, where the sun shines in your eyes unexpectedly as your bow points to the sky at 80, and your passengers search desperately for grab handles! The water is deep and cold. Fear the rooster, O' teal bling bling boy!

Waiting for you to catch up and enjoying every minute of it...

The Evil Twin,

Road----"Trip" SE

:bonk: So in the Dictionary under "CockY and or Arrogant" is that your photo?
Thank You Ole' Sin Se'...I will heed your warning, and meet you on the other side...when I get my real Life Vests...in the meantime, enjoy your Shorty Bravo BoY! :wink:

Remember ..."Nothing lasts forever"...including your Rooster Tail and the ever presence of your perceived dominance in the Speed Wars...sooner or later...my Balls will Distend...and all will be right with the World...for the time being anyway.

Doc the Under Study :spongebob
Student of Poodles & Roosters University of Higher Velocity.

gcarter
06-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Possible, very possible.

Were you evenly loaded with all of those riders in the boat?
If you had a little load-induced lean going on, there could have been a distinct chance of a tab hooking over.

Have you run the boat with stock Bennetts?

RT
Todd, yes it was pretty evenly loaded.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12349
It happened this same day.
But can you or someone explain the dynamics?
Also, no, never ran the original tabs as they were trash, and got replaced as part of the resto.

mattyboy
06-11-2005, 02:58 PM
seem to remember a post of the ass end of a 38zr with long ass tabs/planes that were not following the angle of the hull but mounted higher and parallel to the water so that when extended down only the tips would contact the water
I guess for
less drag thus less surface to catch and trip on plus
you don't need tabs to trip up in a boat ;)
a 16 boat and a 18 foot frequency between waves
and as maxwell smart says
"missed it by this much" :D

TuxedoPk
06-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Could be that you try to stuff too many boring old people in one boat :hyper:

gold-n-rod
06-11-2005, 05:21 PM
sooner or later...my Balls will Distend...and all will be right with the World...for the time being anyway.

Hmmmm, so they are going to distend, eh? Or descend? Ah, the English language, such a puzzler. I assumed that you were describing the process of becoming a real man (the descending of testicles, a step in puberty). Or, as you wrote, your already descended globes (another assumption) would swell for all to see and behold? Which is it? ;)

++++++++++++++++++++++
dis·tend
v. dis·tend·ed, dis·tend·ing, dis·tends
v. intr.
To swell out or expand from or as if from internal pressure.
++++++++++++++++++++++
de·scend
v. de·scend·ed, de·scend·ing, de·scends
v. intr.
To move from a higher to a lower place; come or go down.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Isn't the English language great!!! :bonk:

gcarter
06-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Could be that you try to stuff too many boring old people in one boat :hyper:
Oh my, Tux, the inevitability that in 19 years you'll be where I am today. Probably even living here in Florida!! :yes:
Somehow, there's a certain similarity between this statement and some of HollaGeo's :hyper:

TuxedoPk
06-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh my, Tux, the inevitability that in 19 years you'll be where I am today. Probably even living here in Florida!! :yes:
Somehow, there's a certain similarity between this statement and some of HollaGeo's :hyper:

George, I was being facetious :) More than a certain similarity, I thought I had repeated the comment word for work!

I don't think I could deal with the Florida summers but I could easily see wintering there... Another few winters like this one and it probably won't take the full 19 years to get me there.

thriller
06-14-2005, 12:19 AM
My current and original Bennett tabs have clipped ram stops getting them higher than stock for just the reason you are talking about.

The Victory rams that I tried out had even higher mounting points than the Bennetts to get them higher still. They were nineteen inches and too much tab for a 22 Classic.

HM, a 31-foot boat doesn't need that much tab, unless you intend to drag them all of the time, because you'll never get them high enough to keep them from doing spooky things to your handling.

Of course, you never know until you try it...

Does this mean you still have that set of 280's kicking around?

MM

roadtrip se
06-14-2005, 08:57 AM
No Fountain parts lying around here, just a little photographic evidence of the moneypit follies!

The cocky, arrogant, and FASTER one...

RT
"Not an addiction, just an affliction!"