PDA

View Full Version : One more time, fuel systems, the copper and the flex

Lenny
06-08-2005, 10:06 PM
I am redoing EVERYTHING I can get at on the boat on Friday. I have copper from the tank (in-accessible) into the engine area where it terminates to a shut-off. From there it goes, by copper to the base of the fuel pump. From the fuel pump it is rubber to the carb.

I am plumbing in the Racor properly after the shut-off. What should I have and where... The BG carb gets 5/16ths hose.

Thanx in advance :)

Ed Donnelly
06-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Lenny; God and everyone on the Registry knows I have been wrong before, but, I am pretty sure in Canada it has to be stainless tube. All rubber has to be steel braided to the carb...........Ed

farmer tx
06-09-2005, 12:10 AM
What about south of the border, what are the regulations for lines from the tank to the fuel cutoff valve.

Thanks,
Mark

BUIZILLA
06-09-2005, 07:45 AM
tank to cutoff is usually blue or black USCG hose. From cutoff to fuel pump can be the same, or USCG rubber by code. From fuel pump to carb MUST be rigid tube.

penbroke
06-09-2005, 07:57 AM
From fuel pump to carb MUST be rigid tube.

What materials are acceptable ?? I thought only steel was allowed.

Frank

MOP
06-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Jim you just burst my bubble, I have the CG 3/8 rubber from the tank to the pump and the blue ruber/steel braided stuff running from the pump to the Holley splitter. Wonder if anyone makes a solid line to use from the pump to the Holley splitter.

Phil

BUIZILLA
06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Right now I have the blue USCG hose from the pump to my Holley tubing splitter on the Critter, but I use flare/pipe thread fittings without clamps, I believe this may be legal.... clamped automotive hose anywhere's is a HUGE no-no...

JH

farmer tx
06-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Jim do you have a source for the blue USCG hose? I was needing one to length with the fittings installed. Also there is no backflow preventive and need a bronze ballcock shutoff.

Lenny
06-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Jim H. If you are using the USCG blue stuff from the pump up to the carb, where do you have your fuel filter? and how is it connected? Also, the BG carb has a 5/16 barb for fuel line connection. What do you do with that in my case? This is a SEA Demon carb and you would think they would know about clamped hose?

MOP
06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Right now I have the blue USCG hose from the pump to my Holley tubing splitter on the Critter, but I use flare/pipe thread fittings without clamps, I believe this may be legal.... clamped automotive hose anywhere's is a HUGE no-no...

JH

I feel better now mine is swagged with very good fittings, the only clamps are on the 3/8 hose coming from the tank to the pump and doubles at that. If I do get checked I will smile a lot and see if I get away with a warning.

Phil

John W
06-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Farmer.
You can get the blue fuel line from either a parker store or aeroquip, howvwer the hose and fitting may look the same just be sure to use areoquip fitting swith areoquip hose. From personal experience I tried parker fittings on Aeroquip hose and it leaked. Also parker now had brass crimp style flare nut fittings. If you give the the length and the reuied fitting i can get it made for you, i have a Parker hose man as a tennant.
JW

Rootsy
06-09-2005, 09:57 AM
a few years ago i was inspected by the USCG on lk st. clair... i run steel braided from the fuel filter to pump and from pump to carb, the lines that break to go to each bowl are stainless with AN fittings though... they didn't say a word about it... they were concerned more that my flame arrester had the J cert on it... :rolleyes: and how often i cleaned it...

MOP
06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Lenny unscrew th barb I think Poodle is on to it, it may very well except a flare fitting. Look inside for a reverse cone shape, have a hunch it is setup that way.

Phil

Lenny
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Yes, :rolleyes: , Poodle was right. Off to go buy a pile of stainless braid and AN fittings as we speak. Fuel pump off, hoses in hand. I am putting stainless braid from the shut off connector to one side of the Racor. Stainless braid from the outlet of the Racor to the fuel pump, and Stainless braid up to the Demon AN #6 fitting. :)

Anything is better than the 3 pices of metal tubing all tied together by different pieces of rubber and hose clamps, some of which has NO hose clamps :eek:

BUIZILLA
06-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I went to my local Aeroquip warehouse, and had them make the exact length I needed, with swedged inverted flare fittings. The braided hose is NOT USCG approved, only the blue from AQ, or the black from Goodyear (I think), it must visibly state USCG approved upon inspection, if it's used anywhere at all. The USCG doesn't care if it's NHRA, NASCAR yada yada safe, they only care about their USCG name....

Lenny
06-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Ok, all is good now. (except for the part where I have to "work on a motor" now :rolleyes: )

I got the BIG Racor (3/8" NPT) 90gph for some reason, wishing future thinking I guess :D. Anyways, they swauged me some 3/8" rubber line and fittings to go from the fuel shut-off at the tank to the inlet of the Racor, and another from the Racor to the inlet on the fuel pump. Gave me a roll of gas/oil proof teflon to keep me happy. Then they made up a stainless AN Aeroquip line from the fuel pump to the inlet end of the Demon. I got rid of the barb, and now, in a couple hours and more than that in beer I should have a "hose-clamp-less" integral fuel system that won't leak.

Interesting enough, the original rubber one that led to the inlet on the fuel pump from the 4' of metal from the tank, had a split in it. That would be my air leak :yes:

Good timing, thank goodness it was on the non-pressure side.

Report later :D