PDA

View Full Version : What should I do on this restoration

gtech
06-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I am attempting to purchase an 88 testarossa model classic 18. The boat needs some work, one being gelcote. I own my own custom shop were we do a lot of gelcote and paintwork as well as authorized warranty work for most boat lines. I was wondering if painting to whole boat in ppg DCC or dupont IMRON would decrease the value of a 1 in 25 boat ever made. I can redo all the gelcote on the boat but what a pain and the final result wouldn't shine or have the uv protection of paint. However the durability of gelcote can't be argued with allthough the boat will never be kept in the water so that really isn't an issue. I guess I just need to know if painting it will affect the collectability and value as my plans are to own it for a while then sell it.

Formula Jr
06-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes, painting that boat would decrease its value. The Tes 18 is a very rare boat. Its only a 17 year old boat. Unless there were repairs made to it, the orginal gel should come out well with some light sanding/buffing.

gcarter
06-09-2005, 03:31 AM
What FJ said.

I can't believe I said that! We don't agree on ANYTHING!!!!! :yes:

Donzigo
06-09-2005, 08:13 AM
What they said..............

gtech
06-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Well the thing is someone tried to repair it in some very visible spots. I think I will gelcote the whole thing bow to stern top to bottom. Anybody want to help wet sand? :bonk: Is the red on that tes model the same red they have currently on the boats. It's so faded I can't really tell. Also anybody know what the spec wieght is supposed to be on the boat I want to put it on scales and verify that the glass isn't wet as it was kept in the water all year for 17 years.

gcarter
06-10-2005, 05:44 AM
Take a look at this page;
https://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
These folks do a remarkable job on colored gel.
It is an exact match of the original color.
They will also do a match, if you ship them your engine hatch etc.
I think if your going to do the whole thing, then you wouldn't wet sand now, maybe use a D-A w/320 or 400. I think you need a tooth for the new gel to latch on to. Wet sand afterward.
Note also on the minicraft page that five gallons of gel is about the same price as two one gallon containers. It's a pretty good deal.

txtaz
06-10-2005, 06:06 AM
George, Am I reading this right? You can get gelcoat in an aerpsol can? If so, why am I buffing my friggin stripe so much when I could just spray it?
Thanks, Wes

gcarter
06-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Yep! This is a unique product. However, you still have to maintain the finish as sprayed gel is NOT shiny. But did you notice they have an UV inhibitor?

txtaz
06-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Yup, I think I'll go with a wet sand, buff and then UV inhibitor and see how she does.
Call if you need help today, I'm just hanging out waiting.
Wes

mattyboy
06-10-2005, 08:19 AM
isn't that the company who put hair in a spray can ???? :tongue: :D

seriously what to you want from the boat and how are you gonna use it???
If you want to keep it has an investment and not use it that often then re gel it and keep it original and be prepared to maintain the gel,
i feel that the only way paint would decrease value would be if it was done in any other color but bright red, and if you plan on leaving it in the water.
My boat has a bad paint job on it and me leaving the boat in the water because i use it everyday has killed the paint below the water line so this year I will trailer it ( usually at this point in the season i have 10-15 hours on the boat allready I have 15 minutes :( ) but it still looks better than a chalky gel boat (and I don't want to be wetsanding and waxing and buffing on 40yr old gell every 2 weeks ) above the water line and people say what it's a 67 no way, the pumpkin is a perfect example it looks better than the day it left the factory, and the paint on Kenny's cig has held up very well, if the boat was white then gel is option for durability ,
but red,black and orange are real tuff to keep the shine in gel
who was it kneedeep who regelled the orange 18 a year or so ago
he documented it pretty well wonder how it is holding up???
good luck cool boat the testerosa
i love red can ya tell

:)