PDA

View Full Version : Procharger intercooler

Richard McCoy
06-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know the temp. of the water discharged from a Procharger AW 324 intercooler using 7# of boost? I would like to use the water to cool the drive by tubing it to a drive shower.

MOP
06-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Just an opinion, it cools the engine compartment air that is not to hot to begine with so I would think it would still be quite cool coming out of the intercooler. The best answer will come from Geo he has been running one for awhile.

Chili 18
06-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Just an opinion, it cools the engine compartment air that is not to hot to begine with so I would think it would still be quite cool coming out of the intercooler. The best answer will come from Geo he has been running one for awhile.

Its not just the induction temp. The compression is what adds the heat.

Why not just run a driveshower. Those things soak the drive in the coldest stuff available. Mine really moves lots of water!! http://www.driveshowers.com/index.html

Audiofn
06-09-2005, 05:41 AM
I do not know about a stock procharger cooler, but my buddy has a superchiller with a dual stage water pump. It is down right warm coming out of there. His motor is in the 860hp range I think. The Super Chiller is much more efficient then the pro chargers stock unit.

Jon

GEOO
06-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Rich,
I don't think that would be a good idea. You may just be adding heat to the drive. Procharge IC take 80 to 200 degrees out of the compressed air. That heat is transfered to the water which is cooling it. If the sae water is 70 degrees the IC dump water must be 150-200+.
After saying that; I never felt or measured the dump water, and the heat occurs under boost. I don't have boost at cruise speeds only when the throttle is opened up.

http://www.procharger.com/intercooled.shtml

Richard McCoy
06-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys; I wanted to know before I drilled a hole for the intercooler discharge. I seen on one post a while back that someone used the sea water pump to supply cooling for the drive. I though that I could use one hole for both uses. I knew that intercooler discharge water was warm but 200 is hot an I agree not a good idea. I'll use the standard Imco Bravo 1 drive cooler and ? for the intercooler discharge. This hobby is getting huge.

Chili 18
06-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys; I wanted to know before I drilled a hole for the intercooler discharge. I seen on one post a while back that someone used the sea water pump to supply cooling for the drive. I though that I could use one hole for both uses. I knew that intercooler discharge water was warm but 200 is hot an I agree not a good idea. I'll use the standard Imco Bravo 1 drive cooler and ? for the intercooler discharge. This hobby is getting huge.

IMCO eh.. I guess if you already own it....

No interest, just a happy customer who did his homework...

Dear Editor of Powerboat Magazine;

For the past two years Simrek Corp. has been manufacturing the Multiport Drive Shower® that your magazine pictured in the August issue within the article entitled "Hit the Showers". Though I do concur with the author that MerCruiser's little secret about their heat build up problem is pretty much out of the bag, I also found that your source of information, with respect to cooling them, was outdated.

The article stated, "Some (drive showers) dribble a spray over the top while others encapsulate the upper end of the drive and thoroughly douse it." I thought that it was rather humorous that the author repeatedly referred to the amount of water that a system like ours utilizes as "dribbling" and/or "sprinkling" when simple math proves that our system, with it's two pick-up ports, will supply water at a rate of 17.5 gals./min. with the boat traveling at 40 mph. That's far from dribbling!

The article also read, "both styles seem to work equally well". Testing of our system was done by two other magazines. They recently published their findings that the Multiport Drive Shower® will out perform the competition by nearly twice the cooling capabilities. Independent source testing has concluded that our Summit model will cool the drive by 50 degrees and our Halo model by 55 to 60 degrees. All of the other systems, regardless of their configuration, have only one pick-up port and will cool the drive by only 25 to 30 degrees.

Through extensive testing, it also became obvious to us that the pick-up ports that are found on all of the other drive cooling systems, and have been for years, can fail at higher trim levels when they are needed the most. We have redesigned our system with a patented 90 degree pick-up port that continues to cool the drive at all trim levels.

We at Simrek are proud of the fact that a boat owner can spend well over twice as much for another drive cooling system that will only cool their drive by half as much. We have by far the best drive cooling system on the market today, and to back up these claims we have posted all of the documented test results from the outside testing firms on our web site at www.driveshowers.com.

I just thought that your readers would appreciate this information before they spend their money on an outdated and inferior system.

Back to the top.