PDA

View Full Version : External steering wingplate for Volvo SX drive

blackhawk
06-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Anyone know of a source to get an external steering wingplate for a Volvo SX drive?

Greg K
06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Anyone know of a source to get an external steering wingplate for a Volvo SX drive?

Virtually non-existant, as well for a King Cobra.

LKSD
06-08-2005, 04:09 PM

Check my site for what you are looking for there is an online microfiche for volvo. you may want to look in the sterndrive tie bar or steering sections..
www.lakesiderestorations.com (http://www.lakesiderestorations.com )

jamie 570-639-2628 :boat:

MOP
06-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I think you are SOL, the only system available is the SeaStar internal. I bought one new and decided not to use it with the BH.

To date none are available with power assist, link below shows the app chart.

http://www.seastarsteering.com/STERNDRIVE/stern.htm?../STERNDRIVE/sternF3.htm&4

Forrest
06-08-2005, 04:43 PM
It's a possibility that a hydraulic steering company that does a lot of custom work such a Lathem has already done it, but who knows without getting on the phone and finding out. Most likely though, you will need to have one built. I've thought about doing just that for my upcoming TRS to SX conversion in my X-18. Full external hydraulic steering would be nice.

blackhawk
06-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Forrest, that was exactly what I was thinking. If any of the companies have done just one I am sure they saved the info.

Jamie, thanks for the link but I didn't find anything.

It looks like the local machine shop may be making mine!

farmer tx
06-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Could anyone having external steering post pics of various wing plates so we could get an idea of the basic mounting principles on different drives.

Thanks
( this includes you also BADTAT I couldn't get a decent shot of yours underwater)

Rootsy
06-09-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm willing to do all of the design and detailing for whatever wingplate anyone would like. It'd be up to you to have it manufactured locally or I could have it quoted and manufactured for you... you'd receive a copy of all prints also... It is not the design nor the fab and machining that takes time it is the material cost and polishing... a real PITA to get it like glass and 316L Is NOT cheap if that is the route you want to go, personally a 304 would be adequate for strength and corrosion resistance... I had as much time in polishing alone (it is very good but not perfect), as i did in all of the machining for my whole steering system on my 16. between the wing plate, transom bracket, 2 clevis' and the 2 pins and modifications to nuts i had about 40 hours of machining (by hand not CNC) and 40 hours of polishing...

Jamie

farmer tx
06-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Jamie do you have access to the measurments for a TRS or do you need an upper gear housing and top cap?

Rootsy
06-09-2005, 09:41 AM
some good quality digital photos would do, from all of the major angles (top, side, front, etc) and some fairly accurate measurements so i can create a general solid of the area... i then would design the wing plate around that. I'd also need mounting hole locations, thread dia & pitch, stud sizes and lengths, etc... not too difficult to get honestly, just takes a bit of doing and some good sketches and such... tape measure, machinist's rule or calipers work.. we aren't splitting tenths or anything with this stuff...it is all clearance around the housing and mounting bolt hole clearance is 30 thou so you have some play... stud clearances are tight though but that is a different design intent...

J

blackhawk
06-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Here's a dumb question. Does the wingplate HAVE to be stainless steel? I know stainless is stronger and looks much prettier. But I am in fresh water only so painting or powdercoating would hold up.

LKSD
06-09-2005, 12:24 PM
UNFORTUNATLEY I DONT HAVE ACCES TO A TRS FOR MEASUREMENTS. ALSO STAINLESS IS NOT AS STRONG AS REGULAR STEELS BECAUSE OF THE ALLOYS THAT MAKE IT RUST RESISTANT & SHINE. IT IS ACTUALLY ON THE MILD TO SOFT SIDE COMPARED TO MANY OTHER STEELS ON AVERAGE. I WOULD TEND TO THINK THAT I WOULD AGREE WITH MAKING ONE OUT OF STEEL & POWDER COATING IT WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE IF YOU DONT FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR... JAMIE. :convertib

BigGrizzly
06-09-2005, 05:41 PM
TX Imco has the wing plate in stock there ar also measurements in the instructions. This is where I got mine. As for the wing plate for the sx Find Bret Mays of Mayfair sterring. He designed the one for it that Marine Machine use to have and lost the drawings for.

Greg K
06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
TRS wingplates from IMCO...#'s 6-1 thru 6-5
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/images2/43.gif

Rootsy
06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
stainless is not as strong as an alloy steel such as a CM 4140 - 4150, etc. Hell an A36 or 1018 would be perfectly fine in all honesty if you were gonna coat. The Chromium content makes the structure weaker in a 300 grade stainless.. UNLESS you get into a 410 - 440 grade stainless which is very strong, tough and wear resistant BUT will also rust due to the lower chromium content.

painting and powdercoating would be perfectly acceptable for a regular steel.

JR

blackhawk
06-09-2005, 09:04 PM
stainless is not as strong as an alloy steel such as a CM 4140 - 4150, etc. Hell an A36 or 1018 would be perfectly fine in all honesty if you were gonna coat. The Chromium content makes the structure weaker in a 300 grade stainless.. UNLESS you get into a 410 - 440 grade stainless which is very strong, tough and wear resistant BUT will also rust due to the lower chromium content.

painting and powdercoating would be perfectly acceptable for a regular steel.

JR

Learn something new everyday! Glad to hear that, time to take some measurements!

farmer tx
06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks Greg I'll look into those.

Bad-Tat
06-12-2005, 07:46 AM
This what you need Mark?

farmer tx
06-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks Bill :D

gero1
06-12-2005, 10:57 AM
a black hawk drive that has been gutted if thar would help you to help me to get two rams and lots of holes in the back of my boat as i need to catch up to tat

farmer tx
06-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Robert Im trying to get a wing plate put together for a TRS and wanted some design ideas. Bills plate looked like the direction I was looking for. Thinking of going with steel and powdercoating.

Thanks for the offer,
Mark

smoothie
06-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Robert Im trying to get a wing plate put together for a TRS and wanted some design ideas. Bills plate looked like the direction I was looking for. Thinking of going with steel and powdercoating.

Thanks for the offer,
Mark

Mark,heres one I made for my TRS,I also made everything else for the steering so what I have may not work for you depending on what cylinders you are using,Let me know what info ya need...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31408

farmer tx
06-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Smoothie do you have any drawings of the wing. I have access to a fairly good machine shop.

Thanks

smoothie
06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Smoothie do you have any drawings of the wing. I have access to a fairly good machine shop.

Thanks

I should have...its been awhile...let me see what I can dig up :crossfing

gero1
06-13-2005, 07:47 PM
in the pic posted by greg k the plate wp-1 kinda looks like tats, wonder if it will fit a bh drive??

Bigbroadjumper
06-17-2005, 05:50 PM
This may be a little late but, here are some photos from my Magnum with Volvo 290 drives. I hope they help.