PDA

View Full Version : 3M 5200 sealant

AllenF
06-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I have to remove a bennett trim tab cylinder that was factory installed. I have removed the screws but the sealant has it firmly attached. Is there a solvent that I can use or any other suggestions.

MOP
06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I have to remove a bennett trim tab cylinder that was factory installed. I have removed the screws but the sealant has it firmly attached. Is there a solvent that I can use or any other suggestions.

You have to be extremely careful the 5200 will pull the gel coat off coming out from the screw holes, I have seen some pretty nasty pops. I take putty knife thin it on a belt sander and round its corners nice and smooth, then heat it with a BerzoMatic torch fairly hot, then push it in under the base from a few directions until you break the bond. You will have both plastic and 5200 residue which is a bit pf a pain removing buit your gel will come through it just fine. There really is no easy way with 5200 that is why I refuse to use it on things I may have to replace, silicone has been working just fine for longer then some members are OLD!

Phil

Audiofn
06-08-2005, 01:04 PM
You can use some piano wire since you got out all the screws. Take the piano wire and hold it with vice grips and you should be able to pull it behind the plate.

Jon

RedDog
06-08-2005, 01:10 PM
The above tips plus the use of anti-bond - http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=13217961

Morgan's Cloud
06-08-2005, 02:19 PM
This just reminds me of the love hate relationship that develops between boaters and 5200 over the course of the years .

Did'nt I read somewhere once that brake cleaner (aerosol) works to loosen it also ?

IMO 5200 is used more often when it is'nt needed than any other boat maintenance product.

I use siliconised/polysulfide hybrids most of the time now. Some of them have a bond that is very very good, but as Phil suggests, you can get apart later.

Steve