PDA

View Full Version : Our Brain Dead US Border Guards.

harbormaster
06-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Check the photo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/chain_saw_border;_ylt=Ap1UPGFb4QLDxixNn8mfnh4DW7oF ;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

BOSTON - On April 25, Gregory Despres arrived at the U.S.-Canadian border crossing at Calais, Maine, carrying a homemade sword, a hatchet, a knife, brass knuckles and a chain saw stained with what appeared to be blood. U.S. customs agents confiscated the weapons and fingerprinted Despres. Then they let him into the United States.

The following day, a gruesome scene was discovered in Despres' hometown of Minto, New Brunswick: The decapitated body of a 74-year-old country musician named Frederick Fulton was found on Fulton's kitchen floor. His head was in a pillowcase under a kitchen table. His common-law wife was discovered stabbed to death in a bedroom.
Despres, 22, immediately became a suspect because of a history of violence between him and his neighbors, and he was arrested April 27 after police in Massachusetts saw him wandering down a highway in a sweat shirt with red and brown stains. He is now in jail in Massachusetts on murder charges, awaiting an extradition hearing next month.
At a time when the United States is tightening its borders, how could a man toting what appeared to be a bloody chain saw be allowed into the country?
Bill Anthony, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said the Canada-born Despres could not be detained because he is a naturalized U.S. citizen and was not wanted on any criminal charges on the day in question.
Anthony said Despres was questioned for two hours before he was released. During that time, he said, customs agents employed "every conceivable method" to check for warrants or see if Despres had broken any laws in trying to re-enter the country.
"Nobody asked us to detain him," Anthony said. "Being bizarre is not a reason to keep somebody out of this country or lock them up. ... We are governed by laws and regulations, and he did not violate any regulations."
Anthony conceded it "sounds stupid" that a man wielding what appeared to be a bloody chain saw could not be detained. But he added: "Our people don't have a crime lab up there. They can't look at a chain saw and decide if it's blood or rust or red paint."
Sgt. Gary Cameron of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police would not comment on whether it was, in fact, blood on the chain saw.
On the same day Despres crossed the border, he was due in a Canadian court to be sentenced on charges he assaulted and threatened to kill Fulton's son-in-law, Frederick Mowat, last August.
Mowat told police Despres had been bothering his father-in-law for the past month. When Mowat confronted him, Despres allegedly pulled a knife, pointed it at Mowat's chest and said he was "going to get you all."
Police believe the dispute between the neighbors boiled over in the early-morning hours of April 24, when Despres allegedly broke into Fulton's home and stabbed to death the musician and 70-year-old Veronica Decarie.
Fulton's daughter found her father's body two days later. His car was later found in a gravel pit on a highway leading to the U.S. border. Despres hitchhiked to the border crossing.
After the bodies were found on the afternoon of April 26, police set up roadblocks and sent out a bulletin that identified Despres as a "person of interest" in the slayings, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The bulletin caught the eye of a Quincy police dispatcher because it gave the suspect's Massachusetts driver's license number, missing a character. The dispatcher plugged in numbers and letters until she found a last known address for Despres in Mattapoisett. She alerted police in that town, and an officer quickly spotted Despres.
In state court the next day, Despres told a judge that he is affiliated with NASA and was on his way to a Marine Corps base in Kansas at the time of his arrest.
After the case was transferred to federal court, Despres' attorney, Michael Andrews, questioned whether his client is mentally competent.
Fulton's friends in Minto, a village of 2,700 people, told the New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal that he was a popular musician, a guitarist known as the "Chet Atkins of Minto" and a 2001 inductee in the Minto Country Music Wall of Fame.

Patti
06-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Yup..I read that earlier..amazing..:rolleyes:

tamburello
06-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Maybe I can get a couple of boxes of Cohibas over the border if I hide 'em in a bloody chain saw.

:biggrin:

- Jeff

Patti
06-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Maybe I can get a couple of boxes of Cohibas over the border if I hide 'em in a bloody chain saw.

:biggrin:

- Jeff

:rlol:

Zudnic
06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Pretty sure customs could have held him with the Patriot Act. Flimsy excuse by customs: "followed proper regulations letting this guy go", having no laws on the books to hold him. Both Canada and U.S customs have access to each countries criminal database (So do the Police in both*). Hence why people convicted of drunk driving can be denied entry without telling customs that they have been convicted of an offense. Someone wanted in a murder investigation even for questioning that would go over interpole (almost any country can view this stuff), specifically so customs can stop those that attempt to flee the country the crime took place in. It's B.S. that they let this guy walk.

*I was pulled over in Vancouver, B.C. by the RCMP. Forgot drivers license at home had passport. Sat in the passenger seat of patrol car while he accessed the Washington State DMV with the onboard computer in his vehicle. I asked him how and he said we have international agreements for sharing this info.

Formula Jr
06-08-2005, 09:06 PM
I was flying back east after 9/11 with my brief case. This is the same brief case that I used for years to carry handguns to and from a firing range. I had a carry permit at the time. You could smell the residue of spent gun powder if you sniffed on the lining. I was already at the airport when I realized I might have a problem. I don't know why but I decided to see if this would trigger any of the security systems.
Both times in Portland and in Baltimore, the case went thru the explosive sniffer with flying colors. I later also took that same brief case, I forget things easily, From Seattle to Holland and then Italy and back as a carry on. Again it never set anything off!
More disturbing stuff:
Got beeped at a walk thru metal detector in Portland. And all I did was pull the Altoid box out and show it to the sercurity person. He didn't look inside it. And I stopped him, a bit pissed off, and opened the can. I could have had anything in there.

I use to toss out all my bic lighters before getting on a plane. I naturally thought that these would have to have been banned. Thats a lot of nitro you could carry on. And in a decompression event I knew that these tended to explode. But to my surprise these were Oky right up to last year!
Laptops and CamCorders. No one has ever looked at the battery packs on these in all my flying.

Next time you are in one of those lines, and they are making all those old people take their shoes off, just remember what a big joke this all is.
There are air marshal teams that are tasked with testing airport security systems. And they repeatedly are saying there is no Airport Security. 9 out of 10 times they can get what ever they want on a plane.

I saw on the news that some harbors are finally getting x-ray machines for containers. This made me laugh a little. Isn't it too late once a nasty is IN a harbor? Wouldn't the HARBOR BE the target? I know they pre-screen stuff from the middle east. But no one checks stuff from China.
All part of our wacky little strange world these days. Yes we want security, I mean damn it, can't have those little boxes of pills comming over here from Canada or Ireland. But a big old container for China....well thats okay.
One would think that years latter and billions spent, Office of Homeland Security would have come up with something better than a Threat Level Chart.
Business as usual.
A few years back a freighter ship got grounded off the Oregon Coast and broke in half. We couldn't even figure out who owned the damn thing for three years. These huge ships you see out there, have less liability insurance than your car!

Chili 18
06-09-2005, 04:34 AM
And furthermore, it happens to be those silly amendments to the US constitution--you know, the 4th, 5th, and 14th--that prevented ICE from holding someone such as the chainsaw hack you all referred to in this thread...those guys at the border did all they could to find something to hold this guy for. It was those silly American freedoms and rights that forced them to let him go.

:ribbon:

I was thinking the same thing Mrs Digger. They did check all the databases and he came back 'clean'. Does seem somehow their might aught to be some grey area. Some way to to lay someone in limbo for 24 hours... Who walks up to a security point with a bloody chainsaw, crazed glazed stare, and babbling about being a secret guard for the us president or some such. Perhaps in those 24 hrs he WOULD, have made it into the database. However ill agree it is a [very] slippery slope.

Fish boy
06-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Interesting thread. If they detained and questioned him for 2hrs, i guess there are only so many ways you can ask, what are the weapons for and is that blood on your shirt.

But our boarders have become a joke in the past few years unfortunately. THis is not pissing and moaning, this is fact. I have made the fla-bahamas-fla run since I was a little kid. Upon returning to the US waters, used to have to go to one of a few docks that had customs phones, call them and wait on your boat until they came down and checked you and your boat out.

Now, the phones are gone and you have to leave your boat, find a car or cab, and drive to the customs station with your bags (at least the ones you chose to bring)to check in. Never mind what or who might still be on the boat. Never mind the increasing number of people who just don't do it at all any more. I could have 1000 lbs of drugs or explosives on the boat, but since no one comes to boats anymore, there would be no way for them to know.

Having said that, it is not because they are lazy or do not want to do a good job, I have never seen that from customs. The officers I have spoken with want the old way back. Budget cuts forced this change. In a post 9/11 era, the borders down here are much more porous than they were 4 years ago- just seems backwards to me.

harbormaster
06-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Darcy,

Any local police department in Texas, would hold you 24 hours based on probable cause if you were travelling with a chainsaw with bloody residue.

And Yes. I voted twice for George W who has turned a blind eye to our southern borders.

Legislators down here are portraying the minutemen who are patroling out Mexican border as a "problem".

In all actuallity the Minutemen are only a symptom. The actual problem is the legislators who will not get off their ass and defend the sovereignty of our borders.

Freedom for all was a good thing until dangerous enemies of our way of life started intermixing with the millions of unfortunates fleeing the corrupt third world countries to the south of us.

I have hard working mexican friends who entered this country illegally. I have personally worked with them to get them legal. Our government has made it so difficult for Mexicans to become citizens. If they were from a different country it would be easier.

The best, most highly trained military in the world does us no good if you have 3 guys patrolling 100 miles of border. Hell we patrol other countries borders in the Middle East better than our own.

So much for my morning ramble...too much coffee.

Lenny
06-09-2005, 09:24 AM
It doesn't seem like this fella is going to be of much help South of you Scot either..
Alejandro Dominguez (search), a businessman who once worked at the federal attorney general's office and was a cousin of ex-Attorney General Javier Coello Trejo (search), told reporters upon assuming control of the city's police force that he wasn't afraid of anything, even though many police chiefs here have met violent ends recently.

"I don't owe anybody anything, my duty is to the citizenry," he said. "I think those who should be afraid are those who have been compromised."

Hours later, a group of assailants opened fire on Dominguez as he was climbing into his Ford Lobo truck outside the city's National Business Chamber (search), of which he was the director.

The shooting happened around 11 p.m., according to Fernando Vallejo, director of ministerial police for Tamaulipas state, which includes Nuevo Laredo, across the border from Laredo, Texas.

"We've recovered 35 to 40 casings from an AR-15 assault rifle," Vallejo said.

I was also under the impression that GW was all for the naturalization of Mexicans into your Country. It was part of the campaign speeches, I remember that. I thought it was due to them working illegally in your Country anyway, might as well get a contribution from them and further increase the tax base... ??? :confused:

Lenny
06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
On another note, Darcy, anyone who knows me kknows that I don't look too much like a Muslim or Islam preaching fanatic ;) .

But, the last three times I have crossed the Border here into your Country, I have spent between 30 and 45 minutes, by myself, in a room, no one coming to see me, and then handed my keys, passport and drivers licence back and said I was free to go. I have never figured that one out. I wonder if it is web-site related to IP stuff and the places I have been on-line or what ???

Basically, it is, What is your purpose in the United States?... "I am going to go look at a boat"... Where is this boat?... "I answer somewhere somewhere legit"... They say, "just pull over there" and that is when this ordeal starts up again.

I have no record or offense in either Country and have no Firearms, be it a permit or licence.

Then there are OUR Border Guards. Seems they are the ones that are taking Pot into your Country and bringing back Cocaine here. :rolleyes:

Another thing that has been happening here, is "Point Roberts, WA" a little 600 acre area of the USA only accessible through Canada. The kids here get bussed everyday across the line, into Canada, then a 30 minute bus ride later, they cross the line again into Wa. (Blaine) where they attend school. Seems the Canadians, by boat, take the Pot across the Strait here, hand it over to US people in the water where they bring it to shore in this tiny waterfront Community. They in turn use the "school kids" as mules to get it out of this tiny place, through the border into Canada once again, then through the border again into WA. There it is distributed along the West Coast south of the line.

Some people are very determined, so long as it doesn't involve them.

Our waters here are FILLED with US Coast Guard ships, RIBs, you name it. We are about 5 minutes of water (in a DONZI) from US waters. They are everywhere here. I don't see many aquatic loop-holes here.

Zudnic
06-09-2005, 10:34 AM
And furthermore, it happens to be those silly amendments to the US constitution--you know, the 4th, 5th, and 14th--that prevented ICE from holding someone such as the chainsaw hack you all referred to in this thread...those guys at the border did all they could to find something to hold this guy for. It was those silly American freedoms and rights that forced them to let him go.

:ribbon:

I'm saving this story in my head the next time some lib says something negative about the patriot act! Besides that act was not needed in holding this scum bag:

Article [VI] The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. "

By crossing the border you wave your rights under the 4th.

"Article [5]
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

In a public safety matter a suspect can be held for 48hrs without charge on probable cause. In this area the border is "no mans land" hence why customs can seize "private property". To further cement this by crossing the border you also wave your rights.

"Article [XIV]
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The 14th. was one of the civil war admendments. The other sections deal with electing the President and equal representation in congress. The history of the need for it came about because of Canada, triggering the state rights debate. What rights does the Federal government have over the states and vice versa. One could argue that the 14th. does not apply.

The actions of the minute men I fully support and if I had the time would join!

harbormaster
06-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Amen Zudnic,

I would join the minute men also.

As long as they are not harming the folks and are tuning them over to the appropriate Authorities, I am all for it.

After all we only loan the power to the government.
It actually belongs to the citizenry.

Formula Jr
06-09-2005, 01:50 PM
The registry will not let me post it - too big, but i think you all should read it. It is odd that Washington was considered a dim candle in his time.

Farewell addess and a mid-finger to the world.
At least this president knew the differnce between "disassemble" and dissemble. And when B II got it wrong, he wanted to explain what it meant to us? The parliamentary system is better. Call him up and can his ass. This the same president that early on, said this was a Crusade.
Sorry, but I AM this country. And though I got alot of flack from my freinds about the minute men, I'm on their side.

http://earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/milestones/farewell/text.html

Woodsy
06-09-2005, 03:37 PM
The problem is not Islam, or any religion for that matter. The problem is radical extremism. Any form of radical extremism, regardless of belief is bad. Islam is actually a very peaceful religion. It becomes perverted when interpreted by men who hunger for power. They twist the writings of the Quoran to their own designs, and as a result corrupt their followers into believing they are on the path of righteousness. In the mind of the extremist, they are on the proper path and acting out Allah’s (or God’s) will. We label them as terrorists because we are the ones they are lashing out at. It is not right to label all of Islam as bad when there are far more peaceful followers of Islam than there are extremists. If you study history, during the Revolutionary War, the English labeled most if not all of our Founding Fathers terrorists. We label them heroes. They too fought and died for what they believed. It’s all a matter of perception.

The problem with history is that people always seem to forget it, and thus we are doomed to repeat it. Organized religion has caused more war, and resulted in more death and destruction on this planet than anything else. Let us not forget the Crusades? You know when a bunch of self righteous “Christians” waged war on all of the Muslims and any other non-believers in the Middle East, summarily killing them in God’s name… for over 100 years! Then of course there was the Inquisition. There have been numerous other “Holy Wars” (What an oxymoron that is!) for no other reason than forcing one’s belief upon another.

People also seem to forget that 9/11 was a POLITICALLY motivated terror attack, not a religious attack. It was carried out by Muslim extremists; however it was financed by a man who wants the United States out of his native country, Saudi Arabia. Osama Bin Laden views the United States as an occupying force. He believes he is right in striking at the United States and twisted his follower’s views to suit his beliefs. He has attacked us once, and rest assured, he or someone else will again. This is an unfortunate reality of our world.

That brings me to my point. There is a price to be paid for living in a free society. Those people who died on 9/11 paid it, as have many of our soldiers throughout our brief history as a nation. Unfortunately freedom isn’t free. Many people in the United States act like scared little children, willing to give up their rights as guaranteed by the constitution to propagate the façade of safety. Congress has responded to the fears generated by 9/11 by passing unconstitutional laws such as the “Patriot Act”. The passage of the Patriot Act was that start of very dangerous and slippery slope. The latest amendment is even more dangerous. The Patriot Act undermines some of our most basic beliefs. The fact that the federal government can (without any type of warrant approved by a judge) wiretap your phone, place you under arrest, seize all of your assets, throw you in prison and deny you due process is down right scary!

What makes us better than all the rest of the world is that we hold the rights of the individual equal to the rights of the many. When we as people start giving up those rights in order to “feel” safe, we might as not have any rights at all.

The Border Guards did thier job. At the time of the border crossing the guy wasn't wanted in the USA or Canada for anything. Do we really want to get to the point where you can be detained just because? Oh wait we are already there.... just read the Patriot Act!

Woodsy Von Outboard