PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Problem

slapshot11
06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
The speedo on my 22' Classic doesn't work. It worked last fall but hasn't since it was launched a couple of weeks ago. I pulled the boat out of the water and checked the small rubber hose to make sure it was connected and it was. I then checked the pick up tube to see if it was blocked and it wasn't. I also "tapped" the gauge itself and that didn't do it. The needle is frozen straight down at the 6 o'clock position.
What should I do next?

MOP
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Are you saying that the needle is well below the -0- mark thats odd maybe it died, did you bang on the dash at speed sometimes that works?

slapshot11
06-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Yes, the needle is pointing straight down. However, there's a pin which keeps the needle from going past the 0 so it actually looks like it went in the other direction (clockwise), went past the 80 mark and then fell staight down.
The lower unit was pulled and serviced by the dealer this spring so that's what lead to checking the little rubber hose.

gold-n-rod
06-07-2005, 09:18 PM
it actually looks like it went in the other direction (clockwise), went past the 80 mark and then fell straight down.

Sure enough, you went too fast and broke it. Slow down!!! :wink:

slapshot11
06-07-2005, 09:30 PM
I wish.

penbroke
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
They can sometimes trap water in them and freeze.... Unless the needle has just fallen off and can be replaced I expect it's time for a new one.

Frank

Trueser
06-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Try compressed air next to the drive. force air down to make sure it's clear and up to see if you can get the gauge to move.

Got a Compressor

What kind of drive and what year ? I may have a Spare!!!

The first time the 22 was out the hose snapped inside by the transom.
Water everwhere.

Mike

MOP
06-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Just don't use the compressor to see if the gauge will move that you test with a hand tire pump with light easy strokes, I know this I blew the diaphram out of one with 10psi.

Phil

slapshot11
06-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Mike, it's a 1999 502 EFI with a Bravo 1 drive.
I'll try the hand pump idea this weekend.
Thanks for the help.

marcdups
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
disconnect the hose from the speedometer and get a 1/8 th size hose barb that will attach to a garden hose, when disconnecting hose from speedo if the needle does not come back,and water does not ooze out, it's fried but you can still blow out the line the other way to clear it of any debris, my .02 cents
That way you will not destroy the speedo if it is still good