PDA

View Full Version : Bravo shifting

MOP
06-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Anyone have any pointers on getting the Bravo shift loosened up a little I feel it is a bit stiff, I have the engine idle set at 650 in neutral. When I had the drive on whether in or out of the water the shift was on the stiff side. Both cables are new and running free also the drive was drained and refilled with Merc HiPo, the old oil was clean and also was Merc HiPo, with the drive off there is no resistance at all smooth as glass. What should I be looking at on the drive?

Phil

DAULEY
06-07-2005, 09:15 AM
phil is that on the bh

MOP
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Sure is, I was told it is the same as the bravo.

Phil

RickR
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Phil
Trim the drive up ALL THE WAY and tilt the front of the trailer DOWN.
Without removing the gear lube you can remove the rear drive cover (3 bolts)
Clean and regrease (lithium based bearinig grease) the detent spring and ball.

MOP
06-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Phil
Trim the drive up ALL THE WAY and tilt the front of the trailer DOWN.
Without removing the gear lube you can remove the rear drive cover (3 bolts)
Clean and regrease (lithium based bearinig grease) the detent spring and ball.

Thanks a bunch will do later!

Phil

MOP
06-12-2005, 09:31 AM
OK I pulled the cover which on the BH is a 4 bolt flat cover over a dry cavity, sure was DRY no grease! I pulled the detent out pulled it apart and greased the springs and the bores slopped grease on the only pivot and put it back together. Is there anything I missed? The shifter was in forward as I had just put the drive back on, it still seems stiff when I pulled the handle to neutral. Will fire it up today to see if it improved much.

Phil

RickR
06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Phil
Sounds like you got it!
BTW; Engine MUST be running when shifting a Bravo in or out of gear.

marcdups
06-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Phil, what Rick mentioned is correct, engine has to be running to shift, if not you will bend the cable and will have to replace it. Hope this is not the case, good luck.

MOP
06-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys I really apreciate the input, when I fired it it still seemed a little stiff. I had a hard time pushing in the gear shift disengage button, so I knew I had something not right. I pulled the cable from the helm off and foung that the barrel adjuster needed to be turned about 5 turns back to let the cable slip onto the post easily, I thought I did that right the first time! Now it shifts decent and shift lock out button works fine. I have been ready to sea trial it since Saturday at about 3!
But Bonnie came out and said we have a diner invite so that killed that, Sunday I was so hung over nothing got done.
Sunday evening my kid calls says he is swamped would I come to work with him, I said OK! Well as you have noticed NY has had a heat wave that has been brutal. He has a custom copper business, the job that I was on was installing copper gutters.
Sounds easy yup except the house is three stories, I had MAJOR PUKERITIS on the ladders and near melted soldering the various fittings. Now he is so happy with flogging my poor old body he wants me to finish up the job with his guys, I wish I never fessed up to being a tin knocker in the service and should have fogotten more but it is like riding a bike I do better work then some of his south of the boarder guys. Damn sitting here thinking! I wonder if I will get PAID!!!!

MOP