PDA

View Full Version : where's the horn

joseph m. hahnl
06-06-2005, 07:33 PM
i,ve gone thru all of the dash and got every thing working on the minxs.
except the horn. there is a small horn with a purple hot wire leading to the ignition and a white / blue striped wire leading out to the gunnel. when i turn the ignition on it sounds off after abuot 30 seconds. i'm wondering if this is an audio alarm and is going off because it's low on fuel or one of the engine sensors is not grounding. or is this the horn and it is shorting out.

BUIZILLA
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
that is a warning horn>> it means that 1) low oil pressure 2) high water temp 3) alternator not charging 4) your sinking

it is synched with the gauges and your red warning lights on the dash

JH

i'm kidding about the sinking...

MOP
06-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Audio warning, low oil pressure and high temp hooked in series to one horn.

Phil

RNELEMS
06-07-2005, 09:37 AM
If my memory is intact,the boats built around 85,86,87 did not have a factory installed horn. There was a horn switch on the dash with power to it but nothing connected to it. When we bought our first Donzis(86 models) I couldn't get the horns to work either,then I found out the horn itself had to be dealer installed.

Trueser
06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the warning system? My alarm doesnt beep when I turn on the key.

Thanks

MOP
06-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Mike PM me your fax I have the Merc diagram in my lap as I type.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Audio warning, low oil pressure and high temp hooked in series to one horn.

Phil

what about low fuel "oh so if you turn on the ignition with out starting it the low no oil pressure will set it off?. i haven't tried it with the wire hitched up and running>

gcarter
06-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Mr. Nelems was right, there was no wiring on my boat either.
Here is a couple of pictures of the horn I added on the STBD bow. All of you are familiar with these horns. They come with a white and a black cover. I used the black cover and painted it blue to match the hull. Most of the time it's not even visible.
In one of the pics you can see the additional wiring I added under the deck.