PDA

View Full Version : merc/benz??

marcdups
06-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Diane has a mercedes 2001 ml320, a plastic piece of $*(&, but anyhoo, the engine light was on , no probs there, but yesterday the stereo went on to say "PHONE" so I disconnected the battery and reset the puter, engine light went off and came back on today, stereo ok !!!!! but the pos does not get over 20 mph at times, is that a save your engine control or a puter problem?? She was quoted over the phone that the part to fix is @ $600.00 and is a common problem and all seem to quit at the same mileage, she was not told what part or what it does, anyone have any insights?? Thanks in advance, Marc

gcarter
06-06-2005, 06:32 PM
They're probably telling the truth. I've read that MB and BMW both have had terrible electronics problems in the last few years, and at times have ceased production to fix some of them.

Fish boy
06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Diane has a mercedes 2001 ml320, a plastic piece of $*(&, but anyhoo, the engine light was on , no probs there, but yesterday the stereo went on to say "PHONE" so I disconnected the battery and reset the puter, engine light went off and came back on today, stereo ok !!!!! but the pos does not get over 20 mph at times, is that a save your engine control or a puter problem?? She was quoted over the phone that the part to fix is @ $600.00 and is a common problem and all seem to quit at the same mileage, she was not told what part or what it does, anyone have any insights?? Thanks in advance, Marc

Marc,
I do not know all the terms but someone I know well was telling me a story about some of their cars last week. THey have a few MB's, and one of them and a bad wire harness that would short and cause all sorts of problems. MB wanted like 12k to fix it since all the wires had to be replaced. They were pissed. Took the car back. Ran into the guy who owns the dealership and started talking about the wire deal. the dealership owner was aware of the MB issue said Oh, that can be fixed and MB picks up the tab, but you have to request it. WTF??

Long and short of the story was that MB has several things that go wrong on many of their cars (lots of manufacturers also do, I am not getting down on MB) that they will fix for free if you request they do so, but if you don't, then they charge you. Sounds rediculous and incredible, but worth a shot.

MOP
06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I like most like the Euro cars but it seems as if they want to kill us on parts, our Audi is a scare everytime it goes in even for minor stuff. The 3 year old Saab my best friend had had the manual trans get a funny noise, dealer dioed it and said the trnny was shot, $2,700 installed. He donated it to a worthy cause and to the tax write off, he now drives my favorit car big old Park Ave. I have had mine a long time it has 115,000 and to date have spent about $1,500 including a set of tires and a brake job. When the Audi goes that will be our last Euro crap car.