PDA

View Full Version : Sharp turns in a 16....

wiltok
06-06-2005, 01:46 PM
I have a '90 16 with tabs. Sometimes, when making a sharp turn (to the left) at around 25-30 mph, the boat gradually angles into the turn and then about half way through suddenly pitches fairly violently to the inside. I am assuming that the tab is catching the water - it scares the bejeezus out of me and my girlfriend. If I take the turn fairly gradually - I can avoid it (I am getting a feel for how hard I can turn). Any suggestions on what is happening and how to avoid it? I live on a lake with bays at the end and I have to take a faily sharp turns on a regular basis. Thanks!

Ranman
06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
This is a normal and totally natural tendency in the 16 and 18 classics (not sure if the 22's do it). It is possible to "put the rubrail into the water" turning both ways but is easier when making a left (going with prop rotation). you will not flip the boat over as the prop will lose its bite and the boat will return to level before it rolls over. Approach this condition cautiously, but embrace it and enjoy it in the long run. I have fun carvin turns all the time, but it takes practice to be coimfortable with it. :cool: :cool:

MOP
06-06-2005, 02:04 PM
What has been mentioned here is to drop the left tab down just before the turn, There were a few times I took water into the air vents. I tried the tab thing it does work but takes a little getting getting used to.

Phil

txtaz
06-06-2005, 02:36 PM
My favorite subject. Nothing like a killer hook turn.

Right before the turn, power off, drop the dirve all the way in, turn left. Half way through the turn full power. Straighten out and pull back on the power. I keep my tabs up (at least I think I do..another story).

Once you perfect it, you can turn the boat in 10' or so. I've had all but a foot of rub rail (at the bow ) in the water doing this manuever. Jenn likes to splash me when I do this since the water is right there. After a while you will get the feel of the bow V digging in and know how to power based on it.

Have fun with it, they are safe boats. Start slow and get the feel, then go a little faster. My favorite speed is around 40 in our 18. It digs in well and little chance of a spinout.
Wes

marcdups
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Had a 16 with tabs, used to do what you are talking about for fun and look at the passangers eyes and them thinking a roller coaster was safer, but the boat basically dictates what you can do and will let you know when you are getting too far, as a kid I had a british 14 foot boat "Shakespear" with a 75 yammy outboard that would do the same thing, but at WOT would turn like it was on rails, seat time is the best thing tou can have, my 0.2 cents

DonziDave
06-06-2005, 06:07 PM
The ability of my '18 to roll up to the rub rail without venting the prop is one of my favorite features...!!! It's just like learning to drive your car on two wheels....practice...practice...practice. Once you master this manuver, it's a blast...not to mention how it scares the crap out out of your passengers....!!! My girlfriend insists that I carve a turn at the mouth of my cove before coming in for the day. Learn it and you will impress the hell out other boaters.

Dave :biggrin: