PDA

View Full Version : I need a job please.

txtaz
06-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Well the day has come. It’s time for Wes to get a job. I have closed down my contracting operations as Computer Solutions and sold off all my proprietary software. Due to our future plans, I need something with a more stable income that we can rely on.

I'm educated and skilled in all aspects of computers (minus web) with 10 years experience. I can design, build, program and control computers in any aspect in the business sense. My favorites are engineering systems, but have done very well with mission critical apps such as HR and accounting. I am a team leader being one of the very few to deploy enterprise level solutions (ERP) successfully in only 6 moths while leading a team of 32. Many have failed while having 2 years to complete.
I am posting this here, because I trust and respect the people on the board. If anyone knows contacts in the San Antonio area, I would appreciate the help. I am willing to do anything in the professional arena.
Thank you,
Wes

joel3078
06-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi Wes,

I know your situation. I have run my own computer business for 20 some years on the side. Check out www.joelek.com (http://www.joelek.com) You'll see a couple items on the for sale page that our being posted for a friend. I just do this very part time and by word of mouth only. If I ever did advertise, I would be too busy, have to drop the day job, and then I would develop touretts syndrome :banghead: having to deal with people that seem too stupid to own a comptuer.

I've been at my full time day job for 17 years and think I have the best of both worlds. My day job I can rely on and my part time business for backup and tax benefits.

In any case, check out Robert Half Technology These guys are top notch up here in Minnesota. They may have offices in your area or can point you to another lead. http://www.roberthalftechnology.com

txtaz
06-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info Joel. Yeah I tried doing residential stuff during the last dry spell (tech crash 2000) and quickly got out of that and just went boating. LOL
Wes

gcarter
06-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Do ya wanna visit Florida and fix my server (Small business server 2003). It just hasn't been finished. You could bring the boat.

txtaz
06-06-2005, 11:00 AM
George, you have mail.
Wes

HollaGeo
06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I have an idea of something you can do on the side. Work at Best Buy for that Geek Squad thing they have now. They fix problems that peope have on their computers that they bought from Best Buy. Just something to pass the time until you find something that you like. Just my two cents.

txtaz
06-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the thought. We don't really need anything on the side, but more long term. The most important thing is health insurance so my wife can quit her job and I have insurance for her. Unfortunately in today insurance world, you need a big group policy to cover any pre-existing conditions. Private insurance, while outrageously expensive will not even touch a pre-existing.
Wes

Zudnic
06-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Wes,

Almost the same sit. with me a couple of years ago! post more latter!

Fish boy
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Wes, does it have to be san antonio area? I know moving is a pain, but just thought I would mention that the central florida area, especially maitland area, has become extremely tech intensive over the past couple of years. Figured I would mention it since it does not seem to be slowing as much as many other areas.

I will definitely keep my eyes open and fingers crossed.

fish

txtaz
06-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Thank you Jody,
Yeah we pretty much need to stay here for what we have planned. Plus my parents aren't in the best of health. I think it's best if we are close by in case they need us. Besides, they love my Axix deer meatloaf. Hymmmm, guess what's for dinner tomorrow. :pizza: Oppps I couldn't find a meatloaf thingy. LOL
Wes

Zudnic
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
My brother and I ran a software venture in the 1994/5 ish time frame. We purchased the source code for a database publishing program (data shaper). Windows 95 was on the horizon and we bet that our software would work better with more power under Steve Jobs Next Machine. My brother was the programmer and I did sales our consulting because of our efforts to get our program working under Next trickled to were we could just cover our bills. My brother ended up burning out and I was forced to get another job. He ended up at a dot com doing custom database search engines for companies and the government. He had a good stock option made killing. We got out before we got tooo deep. Next failed and we would have lost everything...... In short stable income was the best thing for me and him... I have learned that if your business is only doing slightly better money wise for you than what you would be paid by working for someone its time to get out!!!! Good luck!!!!

No offense to Florida: one of the reasons start up techs are going to Florida is the bankruptcy laws are protective of officer and directors personel assets when a company goes under. They are less liable for the comanies debts than in most states.

txtaz
06-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey Zudnic,
Thanks for the info. As I posted in another thread, we are ok. We only need to have health insurance in the future so my wife can stop working and we will still be covered. The contracting business is feast or famine and I would like to have a more stable life. I have really enjoyed it and have done some pretty amazing stuff, but it would not be responsible for our future.
Wes

Zudnic
06-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Wes,

Healthcare plans for small business, self employed types can be tough. Thats why for today I like being an employee, was thinking of becoming food broker on my own. Rep a couple of products, keep it small and simple, run from my house. But to do so I would actuelly have to work. Sure I make a little less but don't have to work long hrs or have the headaches of running my own thing! I don't have to worry about the other area's of the business just my own.