PDA

View Full Version : Correct Tab operation

txtaz
06-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm a little confused about the operation of the trim tabs. I have always assumed that when you press "bow down" button, that tab went down. On mine it goes up, but the bow does go down underway. I know I should have known this but it does explain several abnormalities I have been having.
The way I have been using them is all the way down while idle (stop the wandering) full up before planing, then adjust for side to side. Since I was doing it backwards, I bet I get better performance now.
Thanks for the help.
Wes

MOP
06-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Wes you can switch the blue and green wires on the back of the switch that will get you back on track, dropping the tabs at low speed is some nice. My 16 would swing the bow about 5-6 feet side to side and my 22 is not much better, much worse with the BH now on it. I had thought the dou prop would cancel out the swing not so I think the huge skeg amplifies it a lot. When I put the tabs on the 16 I could not believe how well the boat behaved, I only used the for low speeds and rough water never at WOT. In the rough stuff it thought is was 3-4 feet longer, on the 16 I would run a fair amount of tab and also trim the drive up just enough so it no longer slammed down like it did before the tabs. I look at it this way at moderate speeds a boat is very similar to an aircraft it needs that tabs for control of its way slower flight. The 22 rides so well I am not sure what I will do about tabs, plus if the experiment does work out I may have to got to Arneson Rockers to realize the full potential of the combo.

Phil

gold-n-rod
06-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, they work opposite. When you press the button to make the port bow go down, the starboard tab is lowered, lifting the starboard stern and the port bow goes down. I'm glad I have indicators 'cause it helps me keep it all straight. :banghead:

HTH,

Mr X
06-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Wes. I WIRED THEM DIFFERENTLY!!!

Ignore the post above!

email me your contact info
I also found a couple things in my wharehouse for your (my old) boat :)

MOP
06-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Ah Ha so you did the evil deed, but I bet $$ they are mounted to a T!

Phil