PDA

View Full Version : Tore into the Beast this morning!

MOP
06-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Being as I am down for about a week waiting on Machine work I decided to investigate the nagging un explained noise by the rear mount. I sure did not want to pull the engine completely out nor did I want to tear apart everthing that wasd hooked up. So I got away with un clamping the exhaust hoses, un mounting the sea strainer and disconnecting a few wires and undoing the mounts. That allowed enough movement to pull it forward and look down at the rear mounts everything was in place with no signs of any chaffing, so I slapped it back together start to finish about two hours including hauling to my buds shop, not to bad for an old fart! I re checked the alignment was still spot on, if the noise is still there when I run it again it can damn well stay there and remain a MYSTERY!

Phil

jstokes8407
06-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Did U trailer It though Mattituck ? A bunch of my friends said they saw a really sharp 22 blue donzi on the road today. THere was also a White with yellow stripe 22 out in the Robins cove today. you couldn't ask for a better day. Hope 2 see you out there sooon :beer:

penbroke
06-05-2005, 09:29 PM
'Hope it's gone. I hate mechanical "mysteries".

Frank

MOP
06-06-2005, 02:15 AM
stokes that was me I must have been moving up close she shows her age, poor thing was neglected for quite awhile before I got it. Hmm a yellow one have not run into that one yet, so far I have counted 6 22's between the forks and a lot of 16's & 18's. A buddy's kid just picked up a teal/white 89 18 running package on a trailer for 5K was thinking damn where was I. I hope to be running in about a week depends on machinest, this whole weekend was beyond belief weather wise.

Phil

MOP
06-06-2005, 03:00 AM
'Hope it's gone. I hate mechanical "mysteries".

Frank

Frank to be honest I was POed not to find anything, and will be even more so if the noise is gone when I do fire it up. I was wishing I had a standard Bravo coupler this one protrudes just enough into the transom shield not to allow lifting just the back of the engine, not that I will ever need to again.

Phil

PS What is life without a little mystery? Damn BORING!

MOP
06-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Was out jawing with my local Merc Mavin and asked if he had ever had any strange rear mount noise especialy a loud clacking, yes if the steel double washer flips up on edge. I told him everything was in place when I pulled, said it probably flopped back down into place. Said always drop down onto the mounts, I told him that is easy to say but this couple I have protrudes into the opening of the transom shield so the motor has to slide back with about 3/16" clearence. He knows the coupler and it is a pain but a real good one said next time use fine wire to hold the washer in place will try that next time. Atleast the Msytery I believe is solved.

Phil

txtaz
06-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Phil, Would vasaline works to hold it in place? I have used this method before to hold stuff.
Wes

MOP
06-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Wes as you know I live in salt it was set into big gob of grease, the problem as my bud pointed out is the clearance he says about 3/16" is all you have to play with to slide the motor back, anyway it is all better now just going to go over the alignment a little. The grease pattern is just a tad off, so hot here took a break for a shower will go out and sweat again soon and get it spot on.

Phil

MOP
06-09-2005, 09:53 PM
A little more! Went through the alignment, it was was very good with a good pattern before and would not have changed if nothing else did. I loosened the top nuts on the front mounts then center point lifted the engine slightly, stbd. bottom nut held tension so the motor did set down a tad on that side, ended up 2 turns on port and 3/4 turn stbd. The alignment tool has a perfect pattern and can not be felt going, smoother then glass better then before. Props have been machined nad ready to go together, hope to get it back on tomorrow AM. Need to grease the drives shift detent then get it wet, hope the 24's do the trick!

Phil