PDA

View Full Version : Getting the snot beat out of me

onesubdrvr
06-04-2005, 10:50 AM
OK,

I Know I don't own a classic, and my problem may stricktly be a hull design issue

I tend to really get the snot beat out of me off when coming into boat wakes or good size chop (2' or more). I tend to think this is because of the low amount of dead rise built into the Ragazza. Is there anything I can do to make the boat ride nicer? Maybe a different prop to lift the boat out of the water a little more? Trim tabs? A 6" hole in the bottom of the boat? Also, when driving, how SHOULD the boat be running, I've read, trim up to porpoise, then down til it just stops. That's where I try to run, maybe that's good for other boats, but not mine?

Thanks
Still Boatless,
Wayne

Ed Donnelly
06-04-2005, 11:06 AM
The 6" hole should work if it is near the bow.The weight at the bow will let it slice through the waves better. But don't forget to mount the 10,000gph bilge pump in the bow also. The 100 lb. pump will help to keep the bow down too. Tabs would do the same thing, by getting the bow down, just not as much fun.........Ed

Just Say N20
06-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Trimming for optimum speed and efficency is a different objective than going through boat wakes/larger chop with the least amount of pounding. As such, the running attitude of the boat requires adjustment when going from one objective to another.

First, trimming the way you described is great for obtaining the most efficient running, and usually getting the best speed. When you over trim, all that is happening is that the trust being transferred to the water is not sufficient to carry the load (lifting the bow out of the water) it is trying to carry. That is why, generally speaking, more throttle allows you to trim higher; it is providing more thrust.

Deep V planing hulls have the greatest deadrise (steepness of the V) at the bow, and then gradually "flatten out" to whatever the deadrise is at the transom. Trimming the way you describe is designed to minimize the amount of wetted surface between the hull and the water. The greater the wetted surface, the greater the drag.

However, my experience has been that when coming into sizable boat wakes, etc. you will minimize the pounding if you trim in/down, so you can utilize the steeper deadrise the forward part of your hull has. This will give you a better chance of slicing through the waves, rather than pounding over them.

Hope this helps.:cool!:

onesubdrvr
06-04-2005, 12:03 PM
So it sounds like I want to "Plow" through the wakes, bow down, I'll give that a try, it's the opposite of what I thought. It seems like (because my angle of entry isn't as great as a Deep V) like I'm hitting a wall with the bow, but of course, I'm not outside of the boat to see what is actually happening.

Thanks
Wayne

Just Say N20
06-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Onesubdrvr, you might be surprised. One of the boats I've owned was a 1995 Sea Ray 200 Bow Rider (there, I've said it! I feel much better).

It only had 14 degrees of deadrise at the transom, which is marginally better than some ski boats. It was also pretty blunt at the bow, but even in that boat, I found it to be infinitely more pleasant plowing through the waves, rather than slamming over them.

Keep us posted.

Cuda
06-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Hell, we all get beat to some degree when crossing steep wakes. The best thing I have found is to try to hit it at a low angle, in other words, about as straight in line with the wave as possible. I was in my 242 once which is a heavy 24 degree boat that rode great. I hit a cruiser wake I did't see coming at about a 90 degree angle. When I hit, it snapped my cabin door off. The only way not to get beat up is to stay on the dock. :)

gcarter
06-04-2005, 02:24 PM
You know the ZX series has only 22* deadrise, but it has steps under it to more than compensate.

joseph m. hahnl
06-04-2005, 09:51 PM
So it sounds like I want to "Plow" through the wakes, bow down, I'll give that a try, it's the opposite of what I thought. It seems like (because my angle of entry isn't as great as a Deep V) like I'm hitting a wall with the bow, but of course, I'm not outside of the boat to see what is actually happening.

Thanks
Wayne
when i'm out in my 13' whaler i don't go in to the wave head on. i try to stay parallel with the wake and stratel it. this works very well . when i'm in a high sea i try to go with the flow of the waves.

mattyboy
06-04-2005, 10:01 PM
one,

cuda hit on a big item how you hit the wakes makes a big difference I can get the 16 into a big cruiser wake and ride it and surf it but also can get washed out just like a boogie board.and i know my boat pretty well but am not a real expert yet
but the hull has alot to do with it
I was in my bud kenny's 20 cig today as a passenger up front and cross wakes at 35 -40 mph that make me pucker in the 16 the cig just glides over or crushes, not to say the cig is a total master of the rough stuff , but its 4 foot longer and rides bigger as a 26 would ride bigger than it, knowing how your boat reacts is a big factor on how beat up you get
it's like playing pool a real player is thinking 3-4 shots ahead not just about the one that's right in front of you ;)

onesubdrvr
06-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I'll keep all of the above advice in mind, although right now, I'm not sure WHEN I'm getting my boat back,...

Anyway, I guess what got me thinking was looking at some pictures of the AngelAid poker run, now my boat is a 21 with plenty of freeboard, but it got to the point that I COULDN'T run fast, water from each and every direction, if I got up on plane, MAN talk about bustin a kidney!! Anyway, some problems could have been resolved there if I had known the river better. For the most part, the boat rides nice, and I do tend to angle gently into the wakes, I guess I'm just thinking of footage of people basically skipping off the top of the waves with little smacking - they must be going alot faster. I know I'm OK in 1-2' chop, but anything bigger than that, it's rough. Oh well, I don't often have to deal with anything bigger than that, especially in the summer, heck, I can run in the ocean in 1'-2' or less nice rolling swell in the summer time.

Thanks again everyone
Wayne

Cuda
06-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Wayne, everytime I'm in a boat I swear the other guy is riding softer than me. :)

onesubdrvr
06-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Wayne, everytime I'm in a boat I swear the other guy is riding softer than me. :)
I hear 'ya Joe, especially about the time you feel like you are going to urinate blood due to the beatin :eek!: (lol)

Anyway,..... I think that's just how it is

Wayne

Cuda
06-05-2005, 02:56 PM
I hear 'ya Joe, especially about the time you feel like you are going to urinate blood due to the beatin :eek!: (lol)

Anyway,..... I think that's just how it is

Wayne
That actually happened to me one time. We were about 25 miles out in my fishboat, had a wind shift and we had to battle our way back in. When we got back, I was pissing blood from banging up against the steering wheel. :bawling:

Craig S
06-05-2005, 09:11 PM
The 6" hole should work if it is near the bow.The weight at the bow will let it slice through the waves better. But don't forget to mount the 10,000gph bilge pump in the bow also. The 100 lb. pump will help to keep the bow down too. Tabs would do the same thing, by getting the bow down, just not as much fun.........Ed

It works in my woody Resorter. And the bilge...a river runs through it. I never have ring around the tub - er float.

florida gator
06-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Just try different things when you're cruising.

I have basically the same boat and wakes seas are different all the time. Sometimes if the chop is just right, you can speed up and skim over the top. Some wakes I plow through, some Istatel and then some I slow down for.

Moody Blu'
06-07-2005, 11:39 PM
hmm, i just go faster to hop over them :D
honestly though, when i hit the first wave i do goose the throttle and try to land on the next wave, like a double jump on a motorcycle. it doesnt always work but most of the time id rather hit a couple waves faster with less of a jolt then slowing down and getting HAMMERED.

I have a 18' and the only time i will think its to much is when im in 4-6' white caps then i slow down. :boat: