PDA

View Full Version : Diesel truck performance

Mac
06-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Just curious if anyone here has done any perforance tuning on thier diesel trucks. When I bought mine I put in a bunch of gauges, EGT, boost, tranny temp and engine oil temp. I tow a lot of different stuff the worst being a 30' 5th wheel trailer with a 12.5' profile. The perforance is decent but it could use a little more juice on the big long hills. I have read alot about the boxes and recently got a Quadzilla performance box, it is in cab adjustable, 0, 30, 60, and 100HP, I have towed a couple times now on the 60 HP setting which is also about 150 lb/ft increase in torque, it makes a huge difference. Having the gauges I can see what effect it has on the engine, none of the readings have changed any significant amount, the box alters the fuel injection, the installation is very simple, it took about 30 minutes, no splicing just uplug 3 sensors, plug the harness into the sensors and wires from the engine harness into the box harness, the box alters the signals from the sensors making the computer increase the fuel rail presure, injection duration and timing, the box does not alter boost in any way, it still puts out about 24lbs under full load. If anyone is on the fence about a box and looking for a little extra power I highly reconmend it, the difference is very noticable and made a big improvment when towing heavy.

Mac
06-05-2005, 04:44 PM
The throttle response is much improved, the power comes on right now, used to be if I wanted to put the truck sideways in a corner I had to plan it, now just hammer it and it slides out, I have the limited slip as well. I have not noticed any improvment in mpg empty yet, but I got 13.2 towing my 9k lb 5th wheel, the boost also stays lower now when just going on the highway. Did you have any gauges when you had the box? From what I have seen you do not really need them, but they are interesting to watch and see how different rpm and load effects them. My gauges are Autometer phantom series they match the factory gauges pretty well, the pillar mount is a factory part for a SRT-10 truck.

BERTRAM BOY
06-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I know I'm opening a can of worms, but what about warranty issues?

Mac
06-05-2005, 06:06 PM
My bumper to bumper 3 year 36k mile is almost up, the 100k engine warrantee and 7/70 powertrain has a $100 deductable, there is a chance something could go wrong no doubt, but running it at 60hp I am not too concerned, it is a different engine with the box, also mine is a MA emmission '03 235hp, 465ft/lb motor, not a '05 325hp/ 615ft/lb torque, though it has the same axles and trans ect. As they say, you play you pay, the improvment definetly offsets the risk for me.