PDA

View Full Version : nitrous

glashole
06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
has anyone installed nitrous to their boat and did it give huge performance gains?:wrench:

RedDog
06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
here's the story - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2332&highlight=nitrous

MOP
06-03-2005, 03:11 PM
I had one dealing with it maybe 20 years back when it was something new, A close friend had a Honda CBX the 6 cylinder and raced it locally. He worked for me and asked me to help I was very reluctant not know anything about it, but gave in we followed both the instructions to a T and any advice we could glean from the few that had it (all were car guys) first run he chopped off 3 full seconds it was like a rocket. Well on the second run he hit the button sooner going for just a little more, the motor did not blow it literally exploded he lost a chunk out of his leg, bent the frame and nearly destroyed the bike. Moral it cost him about 4K to get the bike running and then sold it. I to this day even though it has been perfected the engine should be built for its use and you or anyone else should do massive home work before attempting it. The last thing you need aboard is a big grenade!

Phil

Just Say N20
06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I put the NOS 110 - 125 hp kit on my 1979 18. Totally stock Mercruiser 260 hp, with power trim. The engine was pulled just prior to this addition, and I had my mechanic go through things with the understanding that I was going to put nitrous on the engine. I mounted the bottle in the center space that runs under the bow.

I am nowhere near as technical as GEO, but I did make sure that the fuel pump was up to the task, with the pressure never falling below 7 lbs. I never hit the button unless over 3,000 rpms and full throttle, and never held it in for more than 7 seconds (you know if you are winning or losing in that much time), and I never had any problems. It picked up 800 rpms (4400 to 5200) and about 8 mph. The cleaver prop slipped a lot when you hit it, but I had a big round ear (chopper looking) prop that did hook up well.

It was an almost instantaneous rpm increase, and it did tend to really lay the boat over when you first hit the button:eek!: . I only used three 5 lbs bottles of N2O during 45+ hours on the engine. And, anything that has an "arming switch" is totally cool.