PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance.....State Farm vs. Progressive

kjly63
06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Anyone have anything good or bad experiences with State Farm or Progressive insurance. I now have Progressive on my '72 Cigarette and a pontoon boat. They will only insure the Cig for 20K max.($712/yr)

State Farm will insure the Cig for 29K ($309/yr) . This is a huge savings on this boat as well as the pontoon boat & the 2 jet ski's that they quoted on.

Before I make the switch :confused: , I'd like to know if anyone has had a bad experience with State Farm.

Ken

DonziDave
06-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Just for reference.....
I have my 1986-18 Classic insured with Nationwide.
Boat is insured for 18,000.00
Myco trailer insured for 2,000.000
Liability coverage for 100,000.000
Cost: 236.00 year

Dave

kjly63
06-06-2005, 05:41 PM
I have my liability at 500K and live in NY. Thats probably why it was so high with Progressive. I've never had Stata Farm for anything and was wondering how reputable they are.

thanks for the reply Dave :)

gcarter
06-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I've had State Farm for over 18 years. I have six vehicles, five for business. In most cases when we've had business related accidents, they have not been our fault. When the other insurance compznies wouldn't step up and pay off, State Farm always did and at more than the real vehicle value. Every time SF was successful in collecting and returning our deductible.
When it was our fault, they have never once threatened to cancel us, or raising our rates unfairly.
I'm using SF for the Minx and am not happy w/the rate, $670.00 for $15000.00, and I haven't included the new trailer yet. But I'll probably stay with them. Well, maybe I will.

Woodsy
06-07-2005, 07:07 AM
I have absolutely no faith in State Farm. I have had State Farm for 10+ years, insuring everything, house, cars, bikes, sleds and boats. I liked having a single payment every month to one company. I had an ice dam cause some water damage... house got a non-renew, I was now considered a risk, even though the claim was for less than 5K! So much for trying to save them some money. Then, my 22 Classic was docked at the NASWA Beach Bar here on Winni. One of the NASWA dock hands moved it and retied it improperly while I was having dinner. The wave action of the nose rubbing on the dock caused about $1500 in damage. When the NASWA refused to pay out, I submitted a claim. State Farm paid the claim, (I paid my deductible) was supposed to chase the NASWA for the damages and never did. Guess what... I got non-renewed again.....

I have never had any claims other than those, no accidents, no tickets, nothing... I was paying over $200/mo to them for my insurance coverage. I always carried the highest coverage you could get...

F&$^# STATE FARM!

Woodsy