PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 Ford Powerstroke suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zudnic
06-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I hate my powerstoke today with a passion. Had to go into Seattle yesterday. The air filter light came on, plus I noticed it was down on power, fuel consumption seemed up. Also live up a long dirt road, so things tend to get dusty. So I changed it. The filter being $99 dollars gets your eyes rolling, I mean come on its not a Ferrari!! But if you ever change it, lets just say, it aint fun!

ChromeGorilla
06-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Uh oh ...wheres MP? :biggrin:

Cuda
06-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I've changed my 7.3 twice in 70k miles. The light had just come on before my last oil change. I just asked Deb, it was $16.95.

Zudnic
06-02-2005, 03:02 AM
The 6.0 uses a much larger, cartridge type 30,000 mile filter on it Cuda..
I am running a K&N in my 7.3, it currently has 115,00 miles on it and needs to be washed agin :eek:

BTW, the 6.0 element can be had for much cheaper, but I aint telling where....

Small town the dealer was the only place with it and in stock. It's not hard to get the filter out, just freakin time consuming, plus no room to work with, scratch my hands all to heck. Could have got it for $53, did'nt feel like waiting, your source cheaper? I miss the 7.3 nicer easier to do simple stuff with.

pic of the cartridge type: http://k-mansparts.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_Id/92/categ_id/19/parent_ids/3/Name/Motorcraft_air_filter_60_PowerStroke_Diesel_F-Series_only

Mac
06-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Another great feature of the 6L, you think that motor is tight in there rumor has it the next one will have twin turbos, imagine how easy that will be to work on:p

mrfixxall
06-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Wait till your 3yr 36000 mile warr expires and see what that turbo and injectors are gonna cost you that isnt covered on your so called 100,000 mile drive train warr....get ite extended warr:kaioken:

Zudnic
06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Wait till your 3yr 36000 mile warr expires and see what that turbo and injectors are gonna cost you that isnt covered on your so called 100,000 mile drive train warr....get ite extended warr:kaioken:

Got it, I'm glad I did.... I'm at 58K and change, bought with 9 miles new last Aug. Last month had the whole dash and A/C go out. A ground wire was lose is what the dealer said. I was in Santa Monica and it went stopped not even a block from a dealer. They gave me loaner car; worked more than a day to find and fix the problem. Hate to see that bill out of war.

The other item that can be expensive outside of warr. is the coil on plug ignitions.

HollaGeo
06-02-2005, 11:18 PM
That's to much truck for a daily driver. Unless, you really need it for contruction purposes.

HollaGeo
06-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Anything over an F-150, Doge Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado (The first one before the engine gets bigger), etc.

Zudnic
06-02-2005, 11:27 PM
That's to much truck for a daily driver. Unless, you really need it for contruction purposes.

Bought because I do alot of Costco road shows and product sampling in other stores, plus the odd trade show. I carry alot of stuff with me, pop displays, small card type tables, etc. plus people.

HollaGeo
06-02-2005, 11:29 PM
That makes sense. People who drive these HUGE rigs with loud diesels who don't use them for what they are built for don't make sense.

Lenny
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Holla, are you for real ??? :smash:

Zudnic
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Had recall on the the torque converter. After replace at stops in gear can hear faint metalic type noise, kinda like bad U/joints, in shop for again for that. 7.3 only had bad injector in 2 years of heavy use and 3 CD players replaced due to discs not ejecting/engaging. One of the reason I liked EricG's color combo on his 18, is it matches my it.

Best trade show and kinda funny story. Did one in Vancouver, B.C. not long ago. One big distributor held a nice party at the Van Library, awsome building. This party had nude body painted girls walking about! They had a section out front roped off for smokers. I went out for a smoke and the security was off duty Van. cops, they would not allow me to bring my drink outside, the people smoking pot however were fine! Never thought I would argue with a cop: "they can smoke pot, but I can't have drink hidden in a cup that nobody can tell what it is!"

HollaGeo
06-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Holla, are you for real ???

Yes, driving a big truck and not using it for what it is built for on a daily basis is the same as driving a Porsche or any sports car in traffic. Sorry if you spent $50k on a F-250 and drive it to the office, I don't mean to be Mr. Reality.

Cuda
06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
My F250 is my grocery getter too. :)

HollaGeo
06-03-2005, 12:06 PM
At least you don't have a 40 footer "rocking at the dock" and an F-250 at the same time. That's a plus in my book. :sombrero:

Magicallbill
06-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Okay,
If I drive,say,25,000/year,towing during the season,oddball errands,and occasional long trips,does the extra mileage and tow capacity of a deisel offset the increased maintenance cost that you all are talking about?
Or...Would it be cheaper in the long run to get a big gasser,get a little less mileage,and the maintenance be cheaper,not to mention the purchase price of a gas rig being less?

Magical Bill

roadtrip se
06-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Isn't there some nice sailboating, solar-powered racing, or the virtues of granola eating and tie dye forum, that might suit your interests a little better
than this gang of big block make it go faster Donzi luvin and pull it with a big ole diesel pick your brand tow rig and eat up precious petrochemicals lovers forum?

:smash: :kaioken: :smash: :kaioken:

RT
"In search of a Hybrid that can tow 5-6000 pounds at 75MPH!"

roadtrip se
06-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Do an informal survey of HD truck owners and you will find that most prefer diesel for the torque, durability, mileage, and resale. Maintenance costs are not that much different from gas from my experience, it just depends on how hard you use the vehicle. My diesel Excursion is by far the nicest long range hauler I have ever owned with a range that will out last you, comfort beyond belief, room for everything, and at 74K; not one major problem. She is just getting broken in as far I'm concerned!

RT

HollaGeo
06-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Isn't there some nice sailboating, solar-powered racing, or the virtues of granola eating and tie dye forum, that might suit your interests a little better
than this gang of big block make it go faster Donzi luvin and pull it with a big ole diesel pick your brand tow rig and eat up precious petrochemicals lovers forum?

:smash: :kaioken: :smash: :kaioken:

RT
"In search of a Hybrid that can tow 5-6000 pounds at 75MPH!"

You are not funny at all. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you, I will most likely push you in the water. I am into engines and going fast as the rest of you are. THAT'S WHY I ASKED.

HollaGeo
06-03-2005, 08:28 PM
You are not funny at all. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you, I will most likely push you in the water. I am into engines and going fast as the rest of you are. THAT'S WHY I ASKED.

And it's not tie-dye, it's tye-dye. An example of the word tie in a sentence. I will tie you to the back of my boat. :fire:

Lenny
06-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Holla, last reply... Todd stands about 3' ABOVE my head. I will buy tickets to see this for sure. Wait, maybe we can raise some Rregistry money for Scot Van A by having a "contest" :D

Speedwake is calling you.

"Respect", you earn it...your wallet is EMPTY.

goatee
06-03-2005, 09:36 PM
i dont even know what to type here.....
i just dont know... im laughin too hard! rt i wanna see your face right now soooooo bad

Ed Donnelly
06-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Holla; You have made me see the light.
I will either have to move out of the city and into the country,sell my 180 mph gas guzzling sports car, or buy a trailer to avoid traffic. Or, maybe only drive at 3 am when there is no traffic, to get it out on the highway, where I can act like an irresponsible 60 yr. old and break the speed limit........Ed

Rootsy
06-03-2005, 09:47 PM

i'll put money on this one too... lets see.. case of beer for 6000+... RT stays on the dock, if i lose it's worth a 6 pack...

anyone? anyone?

and if RT can't make it Ranman can stand in for him :biggrin:

now holla, bring your suitcase full of cash and you can leave with my docile little 16... :)

JR - problem solved :D

HollaGeo
06-03-2005, 10:11 PM
The guy made a stupid comment which wasn't necessary.

HollaGeo
06-03-2005, 10:12 PM
It is tie-dye, you're right. You all really need to relax.

ChromeGorilla
06-03-2005, 10:22 PM
I think Holla is right. Overkill. I was gonna get a 2500HD w/ Duramax tommorrow but I'm worried combustion engines will be illegal shortly (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40108) ......and then I will have to buy an electric truck.

HollaGeo
06-03-2005, 10:31 PM
I figured maybe one of you would know a thing or two the future of hybrid cars. I guess I am morbidly curious. Sorry for asking. If you are being serious about getting that truck, which you aren't. I would recommened a Dodge 2500. That is a cool looking truck.

ChromeGorilla
06-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Serious????? LMAO.....I am getting a 2005 2500HD Diesel w/ Allison Crew Cab tommorow. Loaded. Need it to tow my 2005 Donzi classic :yes: ..... can you hear me know? :biggrin:

Rootsy
06-03-2005, 10:50 PM
well lets see i was part of the future car competition with MTU at one time which placed 3rd out of the top 10 colleges in the US... we used a diesel engine running at optimal fuel consumption rpm running a generator that charged the batteries and ran the traction drives...

hybrids have come a long way BUT unless you want to drive a bread box no thank you...

i'll stick to my truck thank you very much...

as far as "looks" go.. if that is all you base your purchase decision on well, good luck eh...

HR

Lenny
06-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Jamie, you ended that last sentence with "eh".

Are WE getting to you yet :D :D :D ???

;)

HollaGeo
06-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Not really. I enjoy mindless disputes.

Ed Donnelly
06-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Lenny; You noticed that to EH? ...........Ed

Magicallbill
06-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Uh,Roadtrip,thanks for the diesel info..
Seems most feel as you do,M.Poodle certainly likes his Ford,and heck, I see many on the road.
With the price of the things, I was weighing maintenance costs,also...
MB

Travelinfishes
01-17-2007, 09:01 PM
I have an 05 and pull a 30 foot fifth wheel alot to go camping , also use it for rental properties and motorcycle riding .
I have had it in twice for a rear main leak at two different shops and neither one have been able to repair it properly . The advisor at the dealershio today told me that the mechanics could have cut it when they installes the new one ........
the truck only has 16,000 miles on it and has had numerous overheating problems that have been resolved and is fixed im thinking off getting rid of it thuough but am not sure .

Tony
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I must have missed this thread first time around...pretty fockin' funny!
We sure have had some unusual characters come and go on this site...

:beer:

maddad
01-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks guys! This bump's gonna have me chucklin' all day.:tongue:

Donziweasel
01-18-2007, 07:39 AM
While disputes on the boards are really funny, a few things about the 6.0 and 7.3's. I have a fleet of both as well as my personal truck. The 7.3, while not as powerful, was probably a superior engine. With the 6.0's, Ford tried all this high pressure oil and fuel systems and they just did not work. Some 6.0's have run great, while others have been problems since the day they left the dealerships. The biggest problems I have seen are at just about 105,000 miles (right after the warranty runs out) the injectors and pumps blow out. Also, camshaft sensors. Almost all of my 6.0's have had one or the other and an injector and pump replacement is around $4,500.00.

I have done a lot of research on the new 6.4 and am excited about it's release. It does have twin turbo's and is rated at 650 ft pounds of torque. The new turbos are smaller and lighter, which will give you boost sooner. It is also suppossed to be the quitest and most fuel effiicient diesel available. It is also very user freindly and easy to work on. No more high pressure this and that. I hope Ford learned from thier mistakes with the 6.0 and make a great new deisel as I do like Fords.

As for towing, I think I am probably towing more than not, whether it is boats, rafts, camper, snowmobiles, horses or broken 47,000 pound busses (just pull them around my yard in 4 wheel low). I am really happy with the way my 1 ton pulls and tracks. Horses are the biggest bitch as they each can weigh 1500 pounds and move around some in the trailer. I usually pull 4 horses on a bumper pull setup and if I did not have an F-350, I would be moving all over the road.

realbold
01-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I must have missed this thread first time around...pretty fockin' funny!
We sure have had some unusual characters come and go on this site...
:beer:
I take it ol HollaGeo hasn't been around for a while. Must be too busy campagning with Gore. :hyper:

Carl C
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
It takes a long time to tweak and perfect a new motor or transmission. Some turn out to not be viable and are dropped. others need years of minor changes and improvements. It was a sad day when Ford had to drop the 5.0 pushrod motor. :convertib

realbold
01-18-2007, 10:16 AM
It was a sad day when Ford had to drop the 5.0 pushrod motor. :convertib
I hear ya but I still have a 5.0 HO in my Mark VII and the 351 in the van. Both still runnin strong. :yes:

goatee
01-18-2007, 10:58 AM
to whoever brought this back:
thank you,, i needed a good laugh.
im now driving an 07' ram 1500. it's real cool looking, and very shiney.:hyper:

dclassic
01-18-2007, 10:28 PM
:) Entertaining thread. I have a few rambling thoughts to add just for fun.

As far as diesels trucks... No disrespect to the PStroke or DMax, but my Cummins rocks. Comming up on 100K trouble free miles. Do all maint myself other than the yearly tranny flush. It also gets way better mileage than my half ton and will outrun it in a big way, not to mention the hybrids :yes: I wish I had Cummins power in all my trucks.

I have been eyeing Cummins Marine's site and dreaming about how to fit one in a Donzi. Would be an interesting project. Just not sure about the size and weight issues. A turned up Cummins 6 sounds just as bad as a healthy big block in my opinion.

On a side thread note... In my humble opinion the Internal combustion motor will be around for a while. Although I hope North America has the shift to more diesel power that many other countries have had for years.

I read an interesting study on environmental impact of vehicles (not sure how official it was). The study was noting the overall impact of hybrids (cost, materials to build, fuel use, etc) was far more devastating to the environment than Jeeps of all things. The total impact of a jeep was substancially less including fuel use and build impact mainly because people keep them forever and recycle them. Interesting article, it might chill out the "environmental" extremists bashing SUV's and touting the greatness of hybrids.

Not sure why the hybrids get all the press when their mileage still cannot exceed the VW Turbo Diesel Jetta and Golf?!?! There was another site showing actual mileage hybrid owners were getting and it was not much better than any other small car and surely not the 50 mpg VW TDI owners are getting.

Anyway, fun threads. I love my Cummins and it tows the Donzi like its not even there. I see no advantage with the half ton other than a softer ride and lower initial purchase price.

show-n-go h2o
01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
we bought an 06 f350 dually and it's been in the shop more time than at our shop. it left my crew stranded 6 times on the way to and from cali from ohio..
i have a 7.3 excursion thats never given me any problems ever, and i have it beefed up.

Cuda
01-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm at 51k on my 6.0, with only oil changes, and one fuel filter change. I really love this truck, but it will have to go another 71k before I can say it's a better truck than my 99 F 150 with a 5.4. It is definetely a better truck than my 02 7.3, not so much the engine, but the rest of the truck.