PDA

View Full Version : Do your backups!!!

txtaz
06-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Jusy a note for those that store important information on their computers.
DO BACKUPS!!!
I am currently rebuilding my Dads computer because of a hard drive failure. All data lost except what was on his backup. He did not backup some important data so I'm in the process of data recovery. If he had to pay for this, it would cost thousands of dollars. To give you an idea, I'm about half way through and the cost so far would be $2500.00. I'd expect $4-5,000 for the total process.
If you need help with backup stategies or systems, let me know. I'm setting him up with an automated system on a 4 Gig RAM USB micro drive.
A little money up front will save you a ton later.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Ed Donnelly
06-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Wish you had posted this last week.
My lap top crashed and I lost everything.
Now I am starting all over, but now have a rewrite/dvd.
Not to worry though, my 9 yr. old is teaching me how it works...Ed

boxy
06-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Wes, I was heading out to pick up a 4 gig usb micro drive today, any help in setting it up to run back ups would be great......

synack
06-01-2005, 10:58 AM
There's a slick little program called SpinRite! that can sometimes recover some hard drives. At least long enough to let you pull data off. Of course, if it's a bad mechanical failure, not much other thana recovery lab will help.

txtaz
06-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Steve, Are you using XP? If so there is a hidden program on the install CD called msbackup. It works well. Call me and I'll talk you through it. (210-681-3557). Let me know if you have troubles with the Micro Drive. Is it made by Tone? I tried installing it on Dads puter and had no luck. Their website also has very little help.
Thanks synack, I'm getting ready to mount it as a slave and see if I can read it at least. If not Dad has been warned of the costs. LOL
Wes