PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations for High Performance Parts

Indyblackhawk
05-31-2005, 07:16 PM
We have the engine out of our BH. What is the best make for an aftermarket cap distributor, rotor distributor and wire set. Or should we stick with OEM? Also what would be the best aftermarket fuel regulator and air filter?

MOP
05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
You can not beat good wires, actually wires should be changed every couple of years. I went with a Sierra cap & rotor this time around, I did a comparo at the parts house the Sierra looks to be as good as the OEM, and was about 40% cheaper.

Phil

Formula Jr
05-31-2005, 09:17 PM
This is just a side note but might help someone.
When you do buy a new spark plug wire set, Take the wires out of the box at the store and bend them in a slight loop. If the insulation splits there was contamination at the point of manufacture. I have done two entire sets before and then found the insulation to be bad. As an electrical part these are not usually returnable. Or at least you will have to have an argument over these if they are defective.

Red Rocket
06-01-2005, 10:00 AM
What are anyone's thoughts on MSD ignition components ??? I have a 22 Classic with the 502 EFI. :wrench:

Rootsy
06-01-2005, 10:05 AM
in all seriousness... stick with the Tbolt IV... or V... and you can put a Tbolt IV module on a V system with the module and correct pigtail...

MSD can be setup with all kinds of bells and whistles but in the end.... well i've never had any issue with em... except that my mechanical advance rusted up the cap and rotor tend to corrode quickly...

In auto applications i've used MSD products for years. I've never had any issues in an automotive application other than again, the longevity of cap and rotor which deteriorate performance wise due to corrosion. MSD refuses to address this issue and you end up having to clean em up periodically with the wire brush on the dremel. a PITA maintenance item.

J

GG Donzi
06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
MSD makes a nice wire set for that application, other that that I would stick with OEM. We have also have problems with rusting, even in fresh water only boats.

RedDog
06-01-2005, 11:59 AM
We have the engine out of our BH. What is the best make for an aftermarket cap distributor, rotor distributor and wire set. Or should we stick with OEM? Also what would be the best aftermarket fuel regulator and air filter?

Dang - I didn't know you had to pull the engine to replace wires and cap

I picked up a nice billet / K&N style filter from http://www.boostpower.com/home.htm for not much money ($80-90???). I don't see the MPI unit on their web site now but a phone call to them could find it.

Indyblackhawk
06-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Sorry for the confusion......We pulled the engine to replace the coupler and are just doing a few other things before we launch for the summer

txtaz
06-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Indy, Red's just funnin with ya...Then on the other hand, if he thinks you have to pull the motor for a cap/rotor and wire change, let him run with it. :biggrin:
Wes

Indyblackhawk
06-02-2005, 10:00 PM
I figured he was jokin around, but you really never know. HAHA. If he does really think that is needed then we all better say some prayers for his Donzi that he pays someone to do any maintenance to his boat. LOL