PDA

View Full Version : Lake Winni Ban........dits

Fish boy
05-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Saw this on another site. Looks like the Winnie Bandits may turn into the Winnie Ban-this when it comes to high performance boating. THere is a petition below you guys and girls can sign if you want to keep the tree huggers from turning winnie into a 45mph during the day and 25mph at night on lake Winnipesaukee.

Weenies Ban on Winni (http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/oppose_HB162/)

Tidbart
05-31-2005, 10:17 AM
There are already speed restrictions on the lake.

Here is an section of the laws already on the books.

Unsafe Passage is not maintaining a proper speed or distance while operating a vessel or while towing a person on water skis or any similar device. Specifically, it is illegal to:

Operate a vessel at greater than headway speed if within 150 feet of:
Swimmers in the water
Other vessels
Rafts or floats
Permitted swimming areas
Docks or mooring fields
The shoreline.
Operate a vessel at greater than headway speed while within 150 feet of a bridge or while passing under a bridge
Overtake another vessel at a distance and speed such that your wake causes danger or damage

Good Luck Bandits!!!!

Bob

mphatc
05-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Bob writes about the safe passage rule which is part of the rules , always has been for my entire life on Winni, dare I admit my age!

There is a move to bring on more legisaltion limiting speed, not the first time in the past few years. It will be tough to get it passed as there is / was oposition from the NH Marine Patrol that feels only rules it can enforce are acceptable. Last year the Director spoke out against a speed limit. They did not feel that any speed limit was enforcable as of last summer when I attended the last hearing.

IMHO, FWIW, (very little) The boating problems on Winni are from lack of patrol and proper enforcement in congested areas, but mostly caused by excessive wakes/waves from the 24-36 foot cabin cruisers moving at speeds that create huge waves . . . . when they should be running slower, or have trim tabs . . . which they wouldn't know how to use anyways!

We're also effected by Massachusetts driver mentality . . pass anywhere, anytime regardless of safety!! ( if you're friend of mine from MA, too bad, you all drive like maniacs!) ;-)

Mario L.
Winni boater since 1955!