PDA

View Full Version : 350 vs 454

rag top man
05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
well, at the risk of starting a riot, here goes. I've finally settled on a 22ZX.
I want the stepped hull, and thought i wanted a 454, but after reading comments by big block owners, now i'm not sure.

the first comment i was surprised at was that with a 454, the 22 zx was "slow comming outta the hole", which will make it a poor choice as a ski/wakeboard/tow-toy boat. with all that power, is that really true?

also, other curious subtle statements about the extra weight of the 454 making the boat a little ass-heavy-handling, where as the 350 has nearly the same speed, and felt to them to be a better balanced boat (wonder if thats why you cant get a 454 in a 22'zx new today??) common, does the 454 really weigh that much more?

and finally, with the cost of fuel today, anybody really watching fuel consumption? I mean with the 350 having nearly the same speed, is it more fuel efficient too or does it have to work harder and consume more fuel to keep up? lets face it, powerboats arn't cheap, but at $4/gal at the local marina, i'm just wondering.

thanks again, and thanks in advance for all the imput,
rag top man

Cuda
05-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Bigger is better. Personally, I'd look for one with the 502, but that's just me.

Mr X
05-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Donzi feels so strongly about that, now you can not order one with a big block for the last 4 years.
I have driven both and I agree. The small block handles much better and accelerates faster. The top end was only a couple miles per hour different also.

DJ13
05-31-2005, 12:43 PM
I have to say, there's nothing like the sound of a big block. I have no problems coming out of the hole, no complaints with the handling and have run with and against other 22ZX's with small blocks. I wouldn't trade mine for a 350, even with current fuel prices. Mine's a '99 and I heard Donzi discontinued the big block option mostly due to liability associated with the spin out problem, but I don't work @ Donzi so take that for what it's worth. As I've stated before, I've never worried about the spin out deal because I don't drive in a way that would cause it to happen. Best of luck in your search though, they're a fine boat regardless!