PDA

View Full Version : I need a new distributor and wires etc...marine

Lenny
05-30-2005, 12:57 AM
What do I buy that I can use in the future on a different motor (350 base) and this one now? (Chev 350). I want the works, everything ignition related including wires. What to buy ? Future 383.

Make this easy please ;) then I'll have someone put it on.

mrfixxall
05-30-2005, 06:12 PM
What do I buy that I can use in the future on a different motor (350 base) and this one now? (Chev 350). I want the works, everything ignition related including wires. What to buy ? Future 383.

Make this easy please ;) then I'll have someone put it on.

i had the best luck with msd....

Ed Donnelly
05-30-2005, 06:35 PM
MSD Marine billet distributor and Taylor wires. Works great on the 22'...Ed

Rootsy
05-31-2005, 07:14 AM
for what you are doing... Tbolt IV w/ 350 mag ign module...

fwiw, i run msd.. a bit overkill and the distributors suck when it ocmes to corrosion and cap and rotor life...

JR

MOP
05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
There are several after market ignitions that are great products no question but how do you beat the simplicity and long proven reliability of the Merc system. It has good fire power stock but can be boosted with a high out put coil, also why bother with a spring weight distributor to control the advance when the T-IV does it electronically. On my stroker I use the Tbolt with and upgraded coil for more spark, not even sure I needed that as it ran great before.

Phil

DonCig
11-18-2005, 10:47 AM
As I understand the Thunderbolt V, it has an rpm limiter built in to the unit,
which on my engine is set at 5,150 rpm. Can this unit be reprogrammed to limit the rpm to a higher setting. I need one set to around 5,800 rpm.

I like the features on the Thunderbolt V, automatic adjustment of the advance curve, knock sensor, automatic rpm adjustment, etc.

Don

Mr X
11-18-2005, 11:58 AM
As I understand the Thunderbolt VI, it has an rpm limiter built in to the unit,
which on my engine is set at 5,150 rpm. Can this unit be reprogrammed to limit the rpm to a higher setting. I need one set to around 5,800 rpm.
I like the features on the Thunderbolt VI, automatic adjustment of the advance curve, knock sensor, automatic rpm adjustment, etc.
Don
Is that something new? I thought the thunderbolt V was the latest one

mrfixxall
11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
you can use your stock thunderbolt dist,,just add a msd mr6al and eliminate the stock thunderbolt ignition box. Just hook up the crank trigger wires to the thunderbolt dist..theirs a module with adjustable rev limiter available also..

DonCig
11-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Mr. Fixall, If I unhook the Merc. ignition module to disconect the rev limiter, and then plug in a MSD 6, I assume that I will loose the rest of the features of the Merc. ignition module that were attractive. Can I send the ignition module to somebody to reprogram the rev limiter.

Thanks,

Don

Mr X
11-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Ok, it was a "type O"

I thought I had missed something new from Mercury.

mrfixxall
11-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Mr. Fixall, If I unhook the Merc. ignition module to disconect the rev limiter, and then plug in a MSD 6, I assume that I will loose the rest of the features of the Merc. ignition module that were attractive. Can I send the ignition module to somebody to reprogram the rev limiter.
Thanks,
Don

Don,,im not sure whom could reprogram the module..I just talked to one of my marine master tech and he said that the thundervolt4 modules have no rev lmiter..if this is so you can install a msd soft touch rev control part #8728 with adjustable chips from 3000 rpm to ??????? in my boat i used the msd 6al-2 offroad box which has the same internals as the mr6al and my dist is locked out so i set my timing at 34 deg total advance..this helps the engine idle better in the no wakes..the box also has rev limiter and a 20 deg retard to help the enging start so im not brakeing my starter drive and flywheel teeth..if you are wirried about the corrosion try the msd crank trigger with the digital 7..you can ramp in all your timing curves with your laptop we use this on our race car..we pull timing out of the car to reduce tire spin and ramp it back in afterwe click it into second gear..

mrfixxall
11-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks,
Don

Don,,im not sure whom could reprogram the module..I just talked to one of my marine master tech and he said that the thundervolt4 modules have no rev lmiter..if this is so you can install a msd soft touch rev control part #8728 with adjustable chips from 3000 rpm to ??????? in my boat i used the msd 6al-2 offroad box which has the same internals as the mr6al and my dist is locked out so i set my timing at 34 deg total advance..this helps the engine idle better in the no wakes..the box also has rev limiter and a 20 deg retard to help the enging start so im not brakeing my starter drive and flywheel teeth..mabe look into the msd crank trigger and a msd digital 6 ..bye the time you play with all the thunderbolt modules that have differant advance specs you will spend as much or more then you would on a digital 7...on the digital 6 you can program it with your laptop...

DonCig
11-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Well after digging into the Merc. parts book it appears that I have a Delco Voyager Marine distributor. The good news is that I should be able to plug in the MSD 6 and rev limiter directly into one of the two plug ins on the side of the cap.
The Delco Voyager has a fixed advance curve built into the underside of the distributor cap that should work. It is non adjustable but appears workable for the engine design.
11 degrees advance @ 700 rpm.
22 degrees max advance starting at 2,800 rpm.

mrfixxall
11-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Don do you have a mpi engine?? And are you converting from a mpi to a carb on the new engine??

DonCig
11-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Yes, I have an MPI engine. And yes, I would like to convert it to a carb engine.

Don

Mr X
11-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Lenny, you writing all this down?? :rolleyes:

smokediver
11-21-2005, 06:10 AM
FWIW , the V-6 T-IV has a rev limiter ... i know for a FACT !!!!! It kicks in just before 5200 rpm... i would think that a V8 would be the same in regards to the rev-limiter .

DonCig
11-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Madpoodle, MSD has a whole line of Marine units, they are as follows:
MSD 6M-2 p/n 6460
MSD 7ML-2 p/n 7250
Soft Touch marine Rev Limiter p/n 8768
Marine Engine Protector p/n 5468

Marine Distributors
p/n 8560
p/n 8562
p/n 8366
p/n 85806
p/n 83606
p/n 83506
p/n 85296

mrfixxall
11-21-2005, 09:56 AM
the digital 6 or 7 is not for marine use but when i talked to the tech at msd he said that all the msd box's are water tight and the only differance is that the marine box has water tight connections.most problems with the msd box is the person installing the box..YOU HAVE TO GROUND IT TO THE ENGINE or it will fail and you must have a minimum of 11.0 volts or it wint work and could damage the box..msd has been in my truck for 8 years through all the nasty weather snow plowing towing my sleds up north in nasty snow storms etc and never had a problem.....now the msd dist,,,,,suck for marine use unless you clean it every season and hose it down with die electric spray to keep it from coroading....ive installed many many many msd boxs and only had a problem with one...and as the story goes if it has tits or wheels and or floats were all gonna have problems........

BUIZILLA
11-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I just looked in the glovebox of my Nova...

low and behold, there's a Digital-7 in there :cool:

I don't see any logical reason why it couldn't be used in a marine environment. :idea:

JH :shades:

mattyboy
11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
thought it all had to do fumes not water intrusion???

mrfixxall
11-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Cool......

Greg K
11-21-2005, 03:48 PM
A DUI has always been reliable..
http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm

MOP
11-21-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't think all IV packs have reve limiters, I know for a fact mine does not. It is the pack for the Tempest 300, when I was tsting props with the new Bravo drive it would wind 58-5900 no porb. The pack ID# is 390-9571A1, the later replacements listed as # 817509T and 805361T5. They are 20 degree packs it is stated in the literature for the pack that I got from Rootsy shows the full 20 degrees is at 5250. I think that the HP packs do not have rev limiting.

If anyone needs the very detailed spec sheets on the packs PM me your fax number glad to send them off.

Phil

mrfixxall
11-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanx mop i knew thair was one but didnt know the part#..

DonCig
11-22-2005, 09:43 AM
I called Jeff on the MSD Tech line at 915-855-7123 and received the following advice/reccomendations for my particular circumstance.

Distributor - MSD8560 Marine with adjustable mech. advance.
Coil - MSD8207
Ignition Controlleer - MSD 6M-2 marine unit.
Soft Touch Rev Control - MSD8768 marine unit.

For those that are interested, my stock Delco Voyager Marine distributor can not be used with the MSD 6M-2 ignition controller per MSD. The Delco receives its directions from the ECU on my engine, in removing the EFI/ECU from the boat the Delco can not be connected to the 6M-2 successfully.
The Delco unit will go with the old engine to its new home.

Thanks,

Don