PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts LOOSE!!!!!!

Indyblackhawk
05-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Ok, pulled the engine on the BH today. Came out real easy, very pleased. Left the engine at my dad's shop and brought the boat home to clean the bilge and such. We found out the the reason the coupler blew out was because both forward mounts are VERY loose!! Im talking about the big bolts that bolt into the hull and can be accessed through the circle access panels. They look to have a nylon ring in them, so I dont know how they came loose. Anyways, what is the best way to realign the engine? My suggestion was to just torqe the bolts to spec and then align with the nut on the stud to get the up/down movement aligned. What is the best way to align the engine? Thanks

gcarter
05-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Do a search. There's been several good threads on the subject. When I did mine, I found there's a learning curve as you figure out what you're feeling. There will be resistance on the alignment tool as you go through the grease seal. Also there is enough play in the system so that if you're not careful, you'll be sensing the weight of the tool itself. So it's important to lift on the tool enough to keep it level while inserting.

gold-n-rod
05-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Do a search. There's been several good threads on the subject. When I did mine, I found there's a learning curve as you figure out what you're feeling. There will be resistance on the alignment tool as you go through the grease seal. Also there is enough play in the system so that if you're not careful, you'll be sensing the weight of the tool itself. So it's important to lift on the tool enough to keep it level while inserting.

This is excellent advice for other functions in life, too, George. Thanks for the reminder. I will especially remember to keep my tool level while inserting. :spit:

:biggrin.: :smash:

gcarter
05-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Randy, I'm always here to share a little wisdom. :jestera: :)

gcarter
05-30-2005, 06:33 PM
BTW, If you read the last of my thread about my Minx's handling problems, you'll see I've had the same problem. Nylocks seem to come loose in this application. I replaced them with plain SST nuts and jam nuts, & a little blue thread locker too. :smash: :)

blackhawk
05-30-2005, 08:49 PM
I would tighten the bolts that go through your stringers and IF you need to adjust then use the motor mounts adjustments. A neat trick I learned was to use your old power steering belt and put it around the crank pulley only then hook it to your hoist/chainfall etc and it will allow your engine to "float". Makes it MUCH easier than using the offset lifting eye. When you get it aligned then adjust your front mounts accordingly.

MOP
05-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I did a fair job on an alignment post in the thread below #7

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33750

Phil

MOP
05-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Opinion if the bolts that go through the stringers got loose I would pull them out and clean them, the reinstall them with new lock nuts use 5200 in the bolt holes and under both the angles and washers that will make it all stay put.

Phil