PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted

Cuda
05-29-2005, 01:43 PM
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was on top of the world happy with my boat. Today, I feel like looking for a shower rod to hang from.

We launched the boat with my buddy and his girl, and headed down river. It was running fine for about five miles. Then I thought I heard something, and looked back, then the engine sneezed one time, so I came off a plane. It was still running, so I started to throttle back up. Thats when the banging started. I turned around and headed back. I didn't think we were going to make it, but it banged and sneezed all the way back. You can feel the banging in the floor.

Here's a video of the sound.
I think I'll take up parchessi. :frown:
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=5-27-008

Cuda
05-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Here's another with the camera in the floor, it cuts out a lot of the exhaust noise, and you can hear the banging better.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=5-27-007

Cuda
05-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Oil pressure was at 40, and temp at 140.

TuxedoPk
05-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems out on the water. Any ideas as to why its banging?

I took my dog and my sister out for a 2 hours ride on the lake with my new battery and blender motor. Some days the quiet of the blender is as enjoyable as the sound of a big block.

Cuda
05-29-2005, 01:49 PM
One more.
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=5-27-006

Cuda
05-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Any ideas as to why its banging?

Yeah, I think that sound is money trying to get out of my wallet. :(

TuxedoPk
05-29-2005, 01:56 PM
This week I'm looking to get the GT and X into the water. The GT's enginge had a strange problem last year- it ran great and then would occasionally make a large metal banging noice with a bit of dirty smoke coming out the exhaust. I'd power down- wait 5 minutes, and then be able to take off for another day or two of troublefree boating before reoccuring.

onesubdrvr
05-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Joe,

How long did your guy warranty the work for?

New manifolds and risers?

Sorry to hear, let me know if there is anything I can do to help

Wayne

Cuda
05-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't know if he had a warranty or not. He bought the engine from someone else. I'll find out though.

Ed Donnelly
05-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Sounds more like a bent valve than a rod.
A faster fix if its in the head.
But, what the hell do I know. Just going by past experience.My little guy dropped a carb stud down the intake manifold while I was working on the air to water intercooler. After it bounced around enough times my engine sounded like yours. Big bent valve........Ed

Cuda
05-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Upon further review, I think Ed is right. It's hard to pinpoint a noise while in the water. I started it back up again on the trailer. As I listened to it, the noise didn't sound like it was coming from one side or the other. I thought it must have been from the coupler, or drive shaft area. I told Debbie to come up and listen. She said it was coming from the carb itself. I went back, and I agree. Probably a bent or stuck intake?

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=5-27-009
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=5-27-010

Cuda
05-29-2005, 04:10 PM
I should be able to put a timing light on it and determine which cylinder isn't firing shouldn't I?

smokediver
05-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Sounds like water is leaking by .... how old is the exhaust ?

Cuda
05-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Sounds like water is leaking by .... how old is the exhaust ?
Like new. No water in the oil.

DONZI
05-29-2005, 04:39 PM
This one sounds like the dreaded deep knock.Its hard to really tell with out being there.
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=5-27-010.
Like Poodle said.Raise the idle to a steady speed.Pull or short out one plug wire at a time and see if the noise changes on one cyl. more than the others.Also pull the spark plug and inspect for possible debris field.

Cuda
05-29-2005, 05:42 PM
All the plugs are firing, it just keeps spitting intermittantly out of the carb.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=5-27-011

gcarter
05-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Joe, have you determined the noise is the carb spitting?
Never mind, I hear the tapping.
Bent, or stuck intake valve.

Cuda
05-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Yep, I just talked to the master (my dad) he says stuck or bent intake, or something fell down through the intake and hung in the valve. Either way, it ain't no fun pulling those tall valve covers off. :banghead:

Cuda
05-29-2005, 06:06 PM
I just wish I could determine which side it was on. I have a 50/50 chance of getting it with the first valve cover.

Cuda
05-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I think I'll wait to see if the mechanic is going to stand behind it.

gcarter
05-29-2005, 06:11 PM
You should b e able to hear (or Deb can) using a screwdriver like a stethascope.

Cuda
05-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I have a piece of one inch pipe I use for that, but I think it would be hard to hear a valve not opening.

BUIZILLA
05-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Do you have a compression gauge?? or leak down tester??

JH

Cuda
05-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Do you have a compression gauge?? or leak down tester??

JH
Yes I do! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I could probably tell by just putting my thumb over the hole. My thumb is calibrated you know. :)

Cuda
05-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Btw Jim, it idled perfectly all day yesterday, and lord knows I had to do enough of it. I think fresh gas helped.

gcarter
05-29-2005, 08:07 PM
I have a piece of one inch pipe I use for that, but I think it would be hard to hear a valve not opening.
I meant the clicking sound. It would seem it would be on one side.

Lenny
05-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Sorry to hear your woe Joe, that isn't much fun after all you have been through. I hope it is an easy fix and you're off once again. :)

motorcity
05-30-2005, 07:47 AM
You could have a rocker arm(s) that came loose or mis-adjusted. This will cause some of the same symptoms you are describing, noise, poping, etc.

MOP
05-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Joe the intermittent thing has me thinking that maybe this thing sat for awhile and may have rust on the valve stems making a valve or two hang intermittently. Not sure if it will work but it may be worth trying some mystery oil and letting it run no load at high idle for awhile to see if it goes away.

Phil

Donzigo
05-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Carter has the right idea. You can also cut off the handle on a broom and use that as a sound pipe.

Hey, dude, if it has a propeller, 4 tires, or wears a dress............. it's gonna be frustrating as hell to find the problem, it's gonna be expensive to fix; and, it won't stay fixed for long.

RickR
05-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Cuda
Did you check for moisture in the Distributor cap???? I would check it first, for moisture and carbon tracking.
Next I would do a compression test (don't forget to ground the coil wire and check plugs for fouling).

Cuda
05-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Cuda
Did you check for moisture in the Distributor cap???? I would check it first, for moisture and carbon tracking.
).

That might cause a miss, but I don't think it would cause the fuel to spew out the carb. I'm sure the intake is open on the compression stroke for some reason. I just bought some CD2 and I'm going to put it in the oil to see if maybe it frees up a sticky valve. I doubt it will, but for three bucks, what have I got to lose?

RickR
05-30-2005, 07:16 PM
cuda
I am not saying moisture in the cap is the problem but, it is the first thing I would check.

Moisture in a distributor cap can cause fuel, fire and/or smoke to backfire out of the carb :eek!: (Been there done that :shocking: )

Think about what happens when the plug fires during the intake stroke because current goes to the wrong pole in the dist cap due to moisture.

BTW: If the dist cap is carbon tracked it should be replaced.

BUIZILLA
05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Compression test first please..... why let it bang any more than you have to???

:garfield:

Cuda
05-30-2005, 07:48 PM
cuda
I am not saying moisture in the cap is the problem but, it is the first thing I would check.

Moisture in a distributor cap can cause fuel, fire and/or smoke to backfire out of the carb :eek!: (Been there done that :shocking: )

Think about what happens when the plug fires during the intake stroke because current goes to the wrong pole in the dist cap due to moisture.

BTW: If the dist cap is carbon tracked it should be replaced.
It's not backfiring out of the carb, it's spewing pure unburned fuel.

Cuda
05-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Compression test first please..... why let it bang any more than you have to???

:garfield:
Jim, I figured it couldn't hurt it anymore than that 45 minute limp back to the dock. I tried the CD2 with no results. I don't want to take anything apart until I talk to the mechanic who put it in.

BUIZILLA
05-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I would hope your engine man would not have an issue with YOU, for checking the compression of YOUR engine, that YOU paid for...

Cuda
06-05-2005, 06:37 PM
The Minx is hooked to the truck and headed back to Clearwater tomorrow morning. It's a dual purpose trip. Deb's leaving early in the am, dropping the boat off in Clearwater, then going to Port Charlotte where we are starting a job tomorrow.

gcarter
06-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Joe, what does it say on the side of your boat in pic #1 just past the word "Minx"?

Cuda
06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
George, it said Fuel Injection. It origianlly came with the 320 hp fuel injected 350. It was Mercs first venture into the FI world, and one that didn't work out well. The aluminum intake failed in salt water, and I also heard there was a design flaw that caused the injectors to squirt gas directly on the cylinder wall, washing off oil for lubrication.

gcarter
06-05-2005, 07:12 PM
I remember that now.

Cuda
06-05-2005, 07:16 PM
I haven't decided whether to put it back on, or take it completely off.

MrsDigger
06-05-2005, 07:31 PM
The title of this thread reminds me of Digger's joke....I'm in 'dis pear, and he's 'dis custard.....

joseph m. hahnl
06-05-2005, 08:44 PM

all you need to due is a compression check on all the cylinders. if it's stuck open it wont have compression.

Cuda
06-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm going to let the mechanic who put it in worry about it at this point.

penbroke
06-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I hope it's a quick fix. I know it's been a long road for ya.

Frank
Got Milk?