PDA

View Full Version : does a 4 blade prop belong on a V8 16?

gold-n-rod
05-29-2005, 07:36 AM
My new (to me) 16 came with a 14' X 19P Vengence three blade prop. It is way wrong for the boat. It comes on plane in 2 seconds and tops out at approx 45 on the speedo. I have run the boat with a three blade 21P and it ran great although the pilot tube on the drive was plugged at the time, so I have no idea what the speedo read at the time. It's powered by the 260 hp 5.0 mpi, BTW.

My 24' cuddy has a four blade Mach "Sterndriver" 14.5" X 20P prop on it.

What can I expect if I put the Mach on the 16? I'm guessing more of the same, great holeshot and no top end. What do you think?

BERTRAM BOY
05-29-2005, 07:41 AM
What RPM are you turning at WOT?

gold-n-rod
05-29-2005, 07:48 AM
What RPM are you turning at WOT?

I didn't take it to WOT for fear of over revving or triggering the rev limiter. I took it to 4800 rpms on the tach.

Sam
05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
You really need to peg that throttle in an effort to see where your RPM's are at, try it you may like it :biggrin: . Not knowing your max RPM's I would guess that you might want to try a 21 or a 22 inch three blade Turbo. Don't worry about hitting the rev limiter that why it's there. If you do hit it, it will feel like a little miss or pause, no big deal.
As for the four blade question, there are a few sixteens and eighteens that run them including me. Granted they all have non stock motors but that's not to say that if pitched right a stock motor couldn't turn one.

Good Luck
Sam :italy:

gold-n-rod
05-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks, Sam. I really do want to try a Turbo I, 21P. I'll be interested to see how it works for dfunde.

Yesterday, I tried the Mach Sterndriver (4 blade) 14.5 x 20P from my other boat. Wow!!! It was a little slower to plane, but I ran it to WOT and saw 58 on the speedo. The acceleration range was much greater. I think I'll use it for a while and try out other props when available.

Sam
06-01-2005, 06:56 AM
I think that's a good idea, give it some time in different conditions. I'm not sure where your at in Mich but I have a 22" Turbo that you could try.

Dr. Dan
06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
:smash: I have purchased 3 Turbos for my 22 Classic from this company.

dansdiscountmarine.com the pricing is fair and shipping is immediate.

You can also check with Poodle, he is a source for virtually everything since sliced bread.

Doc
Owner of One of the Last Turbo 27's Produced

dfunde01
06-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Sam. I really do want to try a Turbo I, 21P. I'll be interested to see how it works for dfunde.

Yesterday, I tried the Mach Sterndriver (4 blade) 14.5 x 20P from my other boat. Wow!!! It was a little slower to plane, but I ran it to WOT and saw 58 on the speedo. The acceleration range was much greater. I think I'll use it for a while and try out other props when available.

I spent a very enjoyable few hours with Grizzly at his new lake house on Lanier talking props and taking a driving lesson on the 16 this Friday. Grizz seems to think that this particuliar 16 might like the Turbo Lighting better than the Turbo I. He doesn't have anything as low as a 21P laying around right now and is ordering some for us to test with. We took the 16 out for about an hour and I got a 16 driving lesson. With the tach set correctly Grizz trimmed the 16 out WOT at a max of 55.1 GPS at 4900 rpm with the 21P Vengenance. Grizz is not a big fan of four blades on the 16 with a 4.3 Alpha I. I will advise of the next session test results.

Dave

John W
06-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Try the turbo 1 in 22p, I had the same boat with the same engine,WOT was 5000, never got in to the rev-limiter as I did regularly with the stock prop.
Good luck Also it ran a honest gps 60mph trim ed up and loose.
JW

Sea Biscuit
06-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I run a 24 turbo on my 5.0 16. It will run 60.2 at 4900 on the gps,62 on speedo with 2 people, but I find it scary at times.
I tried a Hydro 4 blade 23p but it would cavitate on excels and coming out of a turn, it would do about 60 on the speedo and was very stable.
Next I tried the PT Powerteck 4 blade 23p, it did everything well except top speed was 58 on the speedo at 5000. I sent it back to Throtte Up 727 531 2255/Julie for a bump in pitch/24 to bring down the r's and hopefully more speed. I'll let you know how it works but I think I have a winner for overall prop.

Lee

Chili 18
06-20-2005, 01:35 PM
I tried a Hydro 4 blade 23p but it would cavitate on excels and coming out of a turn, it would do about 60 on the speedo and was very stable.
Lee

Mine did this a bit too... Added a Nosecone, made it all good... And can really trim it out for flight time now...