PDA

View Full Version : Classic Performance Oddity....

EricG
05-28-2005, 11:32 PM
A little trivia question for other classic owners....have you ever noticed that when you get into rougher water the boat has a tendance to speed up? Not going from glass to chop, which is obviously getting air under the boat, but going from mild chop to bigger chop...the boat has a tendancy to slowly increase speed on it's own. Today I started a long stretch across the lake in really rough stuff, I had a very comfortable pace set at about 30...and a few moments later, I noticed I was going about 32...then 34. It was bizarre.

I have always noticed it in the back of my mind, but during todays run it was very noticable...and then the reason finally hit me :bonk: :bonk: I feel like a complete idiot for not figuring it out sooner

So, any other owners experienced this...and do you know why?

EG

Mr X
05-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Because the throttle drops down further with the pounding of the waves.

Almost all small boats do that.

BUIZILLA
05-29-2005, 07:48 AM
My 18 does the same thing, way more than my 20 or 22 does.... for instance, on my Tenn lake if I run flat out in a mirror calm long cove @ WOT, and enter the main lake with about 6"-8" of short chop, it picks up immediately from about 61-62 right to 66. You can feel the boat lift, and accelerate, without touching the trim or throttle. Mid-range at 3000 it will pick up from about 38-39 to 42 or so. You CAN feel it air out, and I can watch my GPS numbers increase. My 18 does not like flat calm water for sportiness. Anybody at Palatka will tell you that boat loves to fly.

Jim

mattyboy
05-29-2005, 07:56 AM
mine always seems to be faster when its at the dock and I'm at the bar ;)

EricG
05-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Because the throttle drops down further with the pounding of the waves.

Almost all small boats do that.

Like I said...I felt really stupid once I finally figured that out :biggrin.: Although, I think the aftermarket chrome shift knob on mine makes it a bit more pronounced than if I had a wood or plastic one on there. Anyone know if there are any of the repro wood knobs left? ;)

EG

onesubdrvr
05-29-2005, 08:47 AM
My Rag does it REAL bad, I'm talking a 1k + increase in RPM on rough waves, is there a way to increase the tension on the throttle linkage?

Thanks
Wayne

MOP
05-29-2005, 09:16 AM
My Rag does it REAL bad, I'm talking a 1k + increase in RPM on rough waves, is there a way to increase the tension on the throttle linkage?

Thanks
Wayne

What some do to increase throttle tension is to put a small wire clamp on the throttle cable and tighten it a tiny bit at a time, it tightens the cable housing against the inner core. The trick is not to over tighten, you want just enough to barely hold it.

Phil