PDA

View Full Version : Volvo lower disassembly???

penbroke
05-28-2005, 09:34 PM
OK, I give up. :shocking: What's the seceret to removing the rear bearing carrier on a 270 lower gearcase? The two bolts are out. I tried to seperate it and tap it straight back, rotate it and have pulled on it by the threaded holes against the prop shaft. I only need to save the prop shaft and the internals but I don't want to attack it with the sawzall just yet. What am I missing???

Frank :confused:

MOP
05-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Frank try tapping the bearing housing around so the ears are out to the sides then with a block of wood and alternating blows tap on the ears it should work its way out. Another reason I paint the crap out of that stuff with gasket compound when it goes to gether.

Phil

penbroke
05-28-2005, 10:25 PM
ok, stretching thee brain cells.. do the bolts go into the threaded holes and push this piece off the seat?? Somewhere you do that on that drive, I forget where...

The other Scott

Why yes, pain-killers are my best friend :eek:

The steering helmut to drive bushing requires the sort of action you describe.

I would hope your friendship with pain-killers is recreational but I suspect it is required. :frown: Hope it ends soon... Feel better.

Frank

penbroke
05-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Frank try tapping the bearing housing around so the ears are out to the sides then with a block of wood and alternating blows tap on the ears it should work its way out. Another reason I paint the crap out of that stuff with gasket compound when it goes to gether.

Phil

I do remember you saying that before and I have hit it as hard as I dare... I'm WAY beyond tapping. It does not appear to be corroded together but I have a feeling it may have been sealed with epoxy or something. It's a lower I picked up cheap for the 1.61 gears in it and it can't hurt to have a spare prop shaft... It had a nosecone on it at one time as well.

How hard can I hit it to rotate it?

Frank

penbroke
05-28-2005, 10:43 PM
ahhh, I knew somewhere you did that...

Be better soon, probably after the long weekend :banghead:

Thanks!

Long weekends can be very theraputic. Hell, I even went canoeing today. :eek!:

Frank

MOP
05-31-2005, 09:50 AM
I do remember you saying that before and I have hit it as hard as I dare... I'm WAY beyond tapping. It does not appear to be corroded together but I have a feeling it may have been sealed with epoxy or something. It's a lower I picked up cheap for the 1.61 gears in it and it can't hurt to have a spare prop shaft... It had a nosecone on it at one time as well.

How hard can I hit it to rotate it?

Frank

Frank I use a piece of 1X1 oak about a foot long and a big hammer never hurt one yet, caveat once it does turn when hitting the ears I try to have someone help by hitting the opposing ear at the same time. We had a fellow working for us that beat on out using one ear, ruined the bearing housing and galled the inner bore.

Phil

penbroke
05-31-2005, 11:49 AM
So I guess I'll just keep hittin' it. :smash:

Thanks,
Frank

MOP
05-31-2005, 10:27 PM
frank you may need to heat it up, I have a B tank nick name the Blue Wrench!

Phil