PDA

View Full Version : U-joints.

gcarter
05-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I was just looking at my drive manual. It seems as though the input shaft must be removed from the drive shaft housing to replace the U-joints, is that correct?

MOP
05-28-2005, 06:18 PM
I was just looking at my drive manual. It seems as though the input shaft must be removed from the drive shaft housing to replace the U-joints, is that correct?

George that is a yes! Did you try what I said to see if they did in fact have play, my Alpha and I think most all will make noise from the u joint when fully raised. You should never start it above the trailering position. I would be far more concerned if they were noisey in the hard over steering positions but not concerned about noise at full up.

Phil

gcarter
05-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Phil, I don't detect any play in them at all.
However, I did start noticing noise at full steering lock. But Phil Reed says he does too on his 22.

MOP
05-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Phil, I don't detect any play in them at all.
However, I did start noticing noise at full steering lock. But Phil Reed says he does too on his 22.

Some do and some don't, that does not mean they are bad. OK no play with my test, now just for S&G shot a little grease in the fittings one at a time. Inspect the grease that oozes out for signs rust or any shiney particles, if you see nothing slap the darn thing back and go play tomorrow.
Tip: Smear the grease on a smooth dark surface and spread it thin to see small shiney stuff.

After you greased the shuttle valve was it moving freely, just in case it does not cure the freaky left curve go out by yourself!!

Phil

Rootsy
05-30-2005, 02:30 PM
trust me... you don't have to remove the gear assy from the sterndrive housing to replace both u-joints... i've done it a hundred times... it isn't the "easiest" thing to do and takes a bit of fanagling with the forward u-joint.

JR

DONZI
05-30-2005, 03:02 PM
If you suspect unusual noises.
I would also remove top cover for a gear set inspection(ck. for minor pitting).Something i do constantly out of paranoia.Also drain a little oil for inspection(silver).It's better to catch it ahead of time.