PDA

View Full Version : Need Help B4 Purchase

fastcat
05-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Forgive me but I had posted this in a reply elsewhere but was afraid it wouldn't get noticed so started a new post-

Need some help here as we need to make a decision on purchasing this boat or a newer (1994) model.-

We looked at a '69 classic 16 and are interested in buying it. It has what the owner says is the original engine (which has been rebuilt), it is a 350 and has a Jet drive. It has Red sides, white deck and interior. On the side it says Z DONZI JET. It looks just like a boat I found on this site (see pic below).We want to make sure we are getting a legit boat. It's difficult finding any info on 16s with jet drive. Did they make this boat in '69 with these specs?

Also-Is this boat more or less valuable than the non-jet drive boats?

Thanks

TuxedoPk
05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
rarer/cool/slower

mattyboy
05-27-2005, 10:57 PM
don't you mean rarer/cool/ SHOWER

fastcat
05-27-2005, 11:07 PM
don't you mean rarer/cool/ SHOWER

OK we are newbies so help us out.
Slower? How much slower?
Shower? What do you mean?
So are you saying they DID make a 350 with Jet drive in 1969 Classic 16?
Being rarer, is this both likely to be more valuable with all other things being equal? The '69 needs some paint work but the jet drive sounds intriguing.

Speaking of sounds- I love the Donzi roar-
What will the sound difference be between the older boats, the jet boat and the newer boats without thru hull exhaust.

The '94 we saw sure was nice- a really nice boat, ready to get in and drive. The '69 is ready too but needs cosmetic work.
Decisions..decisions..
HELP!!

MOP
05-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Stirring the pot adding some butter, I have only seen two jets in person one was at the the first 1K run the other at the second 1K. Now I do have a not to good (OK BAD) memory but as I remember, the first 03 one was a light blue one, older couple 302 Ford and a Berkly it was stock and original. The 04 boat had a BIG Ford and a Berkly that threw a Bodacious Rooster tails simlilar to GEO. Anyone else got some input? Hmmm where is Mario we shot the S#^! about the boat back then maybe he knows more.

Phil

mattyboy
05-28-2005, 06:50 AM
fastcat what I meant was SHOWER jet drive get it??? ;)
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11975

I think this is the boat mop was referring to Barry from Ontario's 18 I do recall a dark blue or black and white 18 like a mid 70's boat in great condition with a jet drive in the MI. area i think
plus i have seen a berkely powered 16 when i was a kid

Barry's boat ( above) is just awesome everybit a show piece everybit a rare Donzi

Madpoodle is right what are you gonna use the boat for are you looking for high speeds over 55 or 60 , big water??? shallow water??? weedy water???

remember jet drive and vee drive donzi are rare but those propulsion systems might turn off prospective buyers when you resell

I forgot welcome fastcat I'm the class clown round here i was making a joke with shower thingy , try the model list for info on the 16, also remember with boats this age gas tank condition and the condition of the deck and stringers are things to look at. The 16 is a great fun lake boat but in bigger water it can be hard on passengers I would imagine a jet boat has differnt issues then a prop driven boat

fastcat
05-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your input.
Re: Use- We live on the St Johns river in Jacksonville, FL so it will b used there as well as in nearby Doctors Lake and Black Creek. The river can get choppy at times but not too bad, (except during hurricane weather). Speed is not that important. Looks and the notable Donzi sound are more important.

I've dreamed of owning one of these boats for a long time and my husband wants to get one for me for my birthday coming up. I like the idea of having a classic rare boat for the same reasons we have classic cars. But, I also like the idea of having a boat that's newer that I can just jump in and go and not worry if it's going to start, run, and get me home not to mention the demons that may be hiding in the way of wood rot.

It's rare to find a 16 in my own backyard, much less 2 of them.

MOP
05-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Matty awsome shot! You have it right on the Canadian boat that was there last year, sitting behind Fast Eddies boat in post #4 in the link below is the one from the first 1K run is it the same boat before mods?.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38679

Phil

EricG
05-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your input.
Re: Use- We live on the St Johns river in Jacksonville, FL so it will b used there as well as in nearby Doctors Lake and Black Creek. The river can get choppy at times but not too bad, (except during hurricane weather). Speed is not that important. Looks and the notable Donzi sound are more important.

I've dreamed of owning one of these boats for a long time and my husband wants to get one for me for my birthday coming up. I like the idea of having a classic rare boat for the same reasons we have classic cars. But, I also like the idea of having a boat that's newer that I can just jump in and go and not worry if it's going to start, run, and get me home not to mention the demons that may be hiding in the way of wood rot.

It's rare to find a 16 in my own backyard, much less 2 of them.

A few things to consider:
You mention that speed is not that important, a lot of us said that in the beginning...but that does change. An I/O boat will be easier to modify for speed than the jet. Although, installing a place diverter and throwing that huge rooster tail would be a heck of a lot of fun! Also, Jet's sound like they are flying....even when they are just cruising.

Also, you mention wanting the classic Donzi sound...is the 1994 a V-8? It seems a large percentage of modern 16's have V-6's in them without Thru-Hull Exhaust. The V-6 boats aren't bad...in fact, some say they run better than the ones with smaller V-8's, but you won't get that rumble with a 6.

Finally, when it comes to reliability, remember, a 1994 is 11 years old. A 70's boat may need some big projects done to it, like the Tank or the stringers...but for every day reliability, I don't necessarily think one is better than the other. At last years Lake Chelan gathering, the oldest boat was my 1976, the newest was a 2000 22ZX...guess which one stayed on the trailer until a replacement starter was located. At last years Bainbridge Fun Run, my classic was once again the oldest. It ran fine once again....but the 2003 Spectre Cat with twin 300OB's was broken down 5 minutes into the run. When it comes to boats, if you maintain them and don't abuse them...they SHOULD give you excellent reliability, but just because it's newer, doesn't mean it's more reliable.

Whatever boat you end up with...welcome to the group...I'm sure the SEADOG's would welcome a new 16 with open arms! :biggrin:

-EG

BUIZILLA
05-28-2005, 09:01 AM
The first time you try to manuever the jet 16 around tight docks, you'll wish you bought the '94 boat. JMHO.

JH