PDA

View Full Version : Lifting engine

Cuda
05-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Would my garage rafters be strong enough to lift an engine if I put a beam through them?

gcarter
05-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Yes if you did something like I did with my deck. I put a 4 x 4 through about three of the trusses. I would try to get close to a wall and de-accessorize as much as you can. :)

BUIZILLA
05-27-2005, 05:53 PM
engine?? what engine ??? :eek:

Cuda
05-27-2005, 05:58 PM
engine?? what engine ??? :eek:
Don't worry, I haven't blown up another one..................yet. The mechanic said he still had the engine I had in the Minx, that he didn't have to turn it in for a core. He said I could have it back. I don't have a way to lift it off my truck. That engine had a lot of good parts in it. I like tinkering with engines anyway, especially when they AREN'T in the boat. I want to see what caused the failure. I have a feeling it was faulty heads that I bought rebuilt and just bolted them on without checking. Like I always say, don't expect what you don't inspect. :(

penbroke
05-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Would my garage rafters be strong enough to lift an engine if I put a beam through them?

I have wondered the same thing myself. (I did use an engine hoist however.)

You could always put a post or two under the beam to bear some of the vertical load while the trusses do the rest of the work. One end on top of the wall should be even better.

Frank

MOP
05-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Joe I have pulled several in my garage a couple with the auto trannies still attached using an Oak 4X4 across two 2X6's the span on the 2X6's from support was about 7 feet so I added an upright with carriage bolts to the roof rafters at each end. I use a 1 ton Come Along with a second pulley giving it 2 ton Cap. Have not had any problems. I am glad you are getting that motor back it may just be brought back to good health and end up as a spare.

Phil

MOP
05-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Joe looking at the pic of the trusses, the press plate type will take a good load from above, I just never trusted the plates to bear an real load pulling down. I would do the bolted up rights.

Phil

Cuda
05-27-2005, 11:22 PM
My trusses are made from 2x4's. I'm starting to worry about it. I have a neighbor that owns a small endloader that he has here from time to time. I'll ask him when the next time it's going to be here, and time it to bring the engine then.

Lenny
05-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Cuda, use a 6x6, a rope, span about 5 of 'em and don't give it a second thought.

I am still carrying around my 360HP/350 short block and rotating assembly around my shop floor (no heads) and I am 5'8". :eek: not happily mind you.

This is nothing for the 2x4's, especially the way they are sawn. It doesn't get any stronger than this and that sawn axis from a mill. Span 5, get an 8' 6x6 (good one) and away you go.

Just for your info, and obviously a different load orientation, but the "vertical sheer" on a 6x6, is 26,000 lbs for one...

..you are talking about 1000-1200 lbs...spanning 5- 2x4 trusses, all gusseted.

I would do it in a heartbeat and not even think about it.
If you are 200 pounds, and you jump up and grab one, would you be scared to hang from it???

Of course not, now try five, add the design of the trusses as a pack, no worries.