PDA

View Full Version : Standard Phone Wiring Bell to Cat3 to Cat5.

Formula Jr
05-27-2005, 07:30 AM
I ended up using three types of phone wire through out my house and I can't find what the industry standard is for equating the old color scheme with the new ones. I could design my own, but I want it to be as close to industry standard as possible.

New Underground wire coming in the house.

Pair 1. Blue - Line 1 Ring?
White Blue - Line 1 Tip?
Pair 2. Orange - Line 2 Ring?
White Orange - Line 2 Tip?

Old bell wires.

Pair 1. Red - Ring
Green - Tip.

Pair 2. Yellow- Ring
Black - Tip

Now Cat 5 is where it gets weird.

Pair 1. Blue - Ring?
Blue White - Tip?

Pair 2. Orange -Ring?
Orange White - Tip?

Pair 3. Green - Ring?
Green White - Tip?

Pair 4. Brown - Ring?
Brown White - Tip?

Questions, are all the Solid Colors Ring, and all Color/White Tip?

And what are Pair three (green) and Pair four(Brown) typically used for?
10BaseT Data?

Formula Jr
05-27-2005, 08:59 AM
I keep realizing how hoplessly out dated my computer knowledge is.

This is the question.

I have duel modular 6 pin jacks throughout my house. The upper jack was going to be for line 1 voice telephony only. And use the Blue/Blue white pair.

The second Jack was going to be for a 10baseT data network AND/OR a second dedicated modem Phone line. I was going to make my own cables.

But then I realized that DSL (available in my area, anyday now) lets you use the phone while on-line. So I don't really need the second phone line anymore. But why not have it anyway.

Should I pop out the bottom old 6 pin jacks and wire up RJ45s. And if I do that,
what is the convention for line 2 voice on pins 4 and 5. Orange/Orange white are the convention used for the net work. So is it standard to use Brown/Brown White, instead in that case? Or are there no conventions with what I doing?

dfunde01
05-27-2005, 09:57 AM
I ended up using three types of phone wire through out my house and I can't find what the industry standard is for equating the old color scheme with the new ones. I could design my own, but I want it to be as close to industry standard as possible.

New Underground wire coming in the house.

Pair 1. Blue - Line 1 Ring?
White Blue - Line 1 Tip?
Pair 2. Orange - Line 2 Ring?
White Orange - Line 2 Tip?

Old bell wires.

Pair 1. Red - Ring
Green - Tip.

Pair 2. Yellow- Ring
Black - Tip

Now Cat 5 is where it gets weird.

Pair 1. Blue - Ring?
Blue White - Tip?

Pair 2. Orange -Ring?
Orange White - Tip?

Pair 3. Green - Ring?
Green White - Tip?

Pair 4. Brown - Ring?
Brown White - Tip?

Questions, are all the Solid Colors Ring, and all Color/White Tip?

And what are Pair three (green) and Pair four(Brown) typically used for?
10BaseT Data?

The Black, Red, Green, and Yellow is old JKT type cable. Not twisted pair and not data friendly. In the old days when we all had rotary dial phones black and red were tip an ring (transmit and receive), yellow was ground for the bell and green was not used. Get rid of it if you can. black/red=blue yellow/green=orange

Now to twisted pair. House cable is generally three or four pair. Cat 3 and Cat 5 refer to the data capacity ratings. There are 25 color codes for pairs 1-25.

Now to pin outs. They are pretty specific to what you are doing.

http://www.arcelect.com/10baset.htm

Just remember the colors for pairs 1, 2, 3, 4. Blue, Orange, Green, Brown

Now that you are completely confused let me know if I can be of more help.

Dave
www.djf.com (http://www.djf.com)

dfunde01
05-27-2005, 10:02 AM
I forgot. Here are the pin outs for voice jacks.

http://www.herbstein.com/rj-11.html

txtaz
05-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Jr, Usually phone line is 2 pair. CAT 5 is something totally different. Never should the two meet unless you are using CAT 5 for a phone. Better quality, shielding etc. or you ran out of 2 pair. LOL
You need three jacks and two cables for what you describe. The 2 jack should be wired for phone and fax. And CAT 5 to the RJ45. You do not want phone and data in the same cable. CAT 5 is four pair if I remember corrently and only one pair is not used.
Best thing to do is go wireless, especially if you have a wireless laptop. It's pretty cool roaming around the house and staying connected. Plus no wires to run.
As far as convention, I've seen primary lines on both pairs. Just make sure that each jack is wired the same.
DSL is pretty good. I think cable is better and faster. We have used both.
Good luck, running cables is fun.
Wes

mattyboy
05-27-2005, 12:23 PM
JR,

call me if you need help

old green = new cat3/5 white blue tip
old red = new cat 3/5 blue white ring
old black = new cat 3/5 white orange tip1
old yellow= new cat 3/5 orange white ring 1

845-477-3916 tonite after 7pm

Formula Jr
05-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks Mattyboy, but I think I got it figured out now with the color code equates. :wavey:

mattyboy
05-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Jr,
sorry my answer was so short I was at a cutover trying to get 200 phones and computers online before the holiday weekend

the pair layout in a cat 5 cable 568b rj 45 wiring standard is

pair 1 white blue pair pins 4 and 5 in the jack

pair 2 white orange pair pins 1 and 2 in the jack

pair 3 green white pair pins 3 and 4 in the jack

pair 4 brown white pair pins 7 and 8 in the jack

in cat 5 and cat 5 e pairs 2 and 3 are used to communicate 10/100 and 2.something mbps

some mfg's use all 4 pairs in some cat6 1 gig mbps schemes or in VOIP, pairs 1 and 4 are power pairs supplied buy the backbone switch like a 3 com 4400 to an IP telephone
I figured it was good for me to write this down cause i plan on having a real good time this weekend and I can always look back at this tuesday morning when i can't remeber my name ;) :)