PDA

View Full Version : No new boat until '06, so,...let's talke SUPERCHARGERS!

onesubdrvr
05-26-2005, 08:59 PM
OK,

I've decided not to bug momma anymore about a new boat until we are in the new house, GAWD it's gonna be hard to stop looking around :bawling: , I know I can look and not buy, but when my mind gets moving, WATCH OUT!!

So, the boat goes into the shop tomorrow, and I'm going to talk to the mechanic about things he can do to beef up the out-drive, or to replace with a Bravo. This is all to increase HP in the Ragazza. I've been trying to do a little research on superchargers, and understand that at my compression ratio I would be limited in boost psi. (10.1:1) does anyone know to what pressure?

IF I were to change to dished pistons to bring the ratio down to say 8.5:1, my hp will drop there, but allow me to run more boost to more than make up for what I lost in droping ratio right?

Right now I'm looking at ProCharger, and Vortech (centrifugals) this is due the the lobe style mounting to the heads, I haven't found one that is made for SBC Vortec heads, anyone know otherwise? recommend any others?

If I do it, I'll be doing it myself :bonk: so I'll have a ton of fun fabricating brackets to match my Heinz-57 of an engine!!

Until later
Wayne

gold-n-rod
05-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Wayne, don't do it, man. You'll be throwing good money after bad. A 'charger and a Bravo will cost you big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. You'll NEVER get it back, even if you take the parts off, you'll still only get 50% of your investment.

Keep looking. The boat is out there. Here's one to ponder:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/6/69050276.htm

I'm not affilated, I just hate to see you throw money down a rat's hole.

MOP
05-26-2005, 09:55 PM
50% you are being kind! Wayne get a grip! We all love you just the way you are, go find an 18 take your time scrounge up the goodies to make a quick sweet boat, that way we will know that you are out of the bars, out of trouble and you misses can keep an eye on you!

Mean Old Phil!

BUIZILLA
05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
take my advice here...

FUGGEDABOUTIT

JH

BUIZILLA
05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
take my advice here...

FUGGETABOUTIT

JH

The Hedgehog
05-26-2005, 10:08 PM
If you are going to keep the boat a good long while it would be okay. You will never get the value out of a mod like that in a new boat either. On a new boat the blower would actually reduce the value of the boat. If you are planning to dump the boat in 06 the blower alone will be costing you about $5k for a summer of fun. That would be before it blows your drive.

yeller
05-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Looks like everyone is saying don't do it!!!!........Except me. Now I don't know what your drive can handle. If it can't handle the extra HP, I'd say don't do it if you plan on selling in a year. If it can......then go for it. Lower the compression to 8:1, pump about 10lb of boost, and let er rip! If you can afford it, get an aftercooler and you'll be able to run higher boost. There are deals to be had on Ebay for used SC's if you want to take that route.

Forged pistons are cheap for a SBC. Replace the valves with extreme duty types (or you'll drop a valve quick).

When you sell the boat, remove the SC and install it on your new one. If you do the work yourself, the only cost will be a new set of piston/rings/valves.

Check my signature...it says it all......:rlol:
I have a pair of turbos sitting in my garage waiting for install.:hyper:

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 11:29 AM
OK OK OK,.... I'll forget it!! :frown:

I KNOW that's the best thing to do,.... I guess I'm just getting itchy to go faster. I know 60mph isn't a snails pace, but now I've tasted it, I want more, and I'm not very patient when it comes to these things,.....

Another thing is, like I talked to someone about yesterday, working on the boat is therapuetic for me, and I'm sure many of us :wink: . I am just without a project right now, other than the daily maintenance kind of stuff and I'm getting stir crazy. I've seen a couple of big projects I wouldn't mind, but like I said, I've got to wait until next year when we are in the new house.

I am going to feel sad when you guys are pulling away from me a good 15mph or more faster :embarasse at the hometown rally, but for right now, I'll take a :chillpill , and be happy with the Ragazza :moped: until next year.

Wayne

Cuda
05-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Wayne, check this out. You might have to spend a few bucks to get it where you want it, but at least you'd have a rare and beautiful boat. In top shape, it would be the envy of the hometown rally.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1341554&posted=1#post1341554

Rootsy
05-27-2005, 12:25 PM
oh come on now... i think you should jack the compression to the 13:1 neighborhood... slap on a BDS 8-71 and an injection system, some big pills and feed her some alcohol... :smileybo:

mrfixxall
05-27-2005, 04:03 PM
what size engine or engines,a bravo drive will handle up to 600 hp if your not popping out of the water,,,,and for super chargers i had the best luck with whipple.. their cheeper and last longer and if you have 10-1 comp you can under drive a super charger to make up for the compression. keep in mind that you have to retard the ignition so you may want to consider a msd ignition to retard the timing when the super charger starts to booste.........

mrfixxall
05-27-2005, 04:07 PM
oops sorry guys i see he has a omc drive well that drive will handle 485 hp if you ease into it ...........

gcarter
05-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Wayne, just an idea.
Why not look for a low cost 18' fixer-upper and put your Vortec in it? It'll perform really well.
Put the V-6 back in the Rag. :)
Restos really aren't all that difficult and they're really enjoyable, at least I think so.

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 05:20 PM
what size engine or engines,a bravo drive will handle up to 600 hp if your not popping out of the water,,,,and for super chargers i had the best luck with whipple.. their cheeper and last longer and if you have 10-1 comp you can under drive a super charger to make up for the compression. keep in mind that you have to retard the ignition so you may want to consider a msd ignition to retard the timing when the super charger starts to booste.........
I looked at whipple, didn't see any to mount to Vortec heads

Wayne

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Wayne, just an idea.
Why not look for a low cost 18' fixer-upper and put your Vortec in it? It'll perform really well.
Put the V-6 back in the Rag. :)
Restos really aren't all that difficult and they're really enjoyable, at least I think so.
G,

I was thinking of doing that with a 16,...see, my original 4.3l is shot, block has several cracks as do the heads. So that was the 16 option.

I could do the same with an 18, but put a stock 5.7l into the Rag.

I will enjoy restoring something when the time is right, momma is a little freaked out about the upcoming 2 mortgage ordeal - though we can swing it, she wants to make sure, and I can understand that, and I need to respect it.

There are a couple of Doral's I am considering taking a closer look at, and I'm only doing that as not as many pop up every day for sale.

Until later,
Wayne

Rootsy
05-27-2005, 06:47 PM
what?? nothing for a vortec cylinder head motor????

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4448

gcarter
05-27-2005, 07:33 PM

That's awfully pretty!! :biggrin: :shocking:
I bet they ain't cheap.

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 07:49 PM

HEY!!! WHO MAKES THAT??

Wayne

mrfixxall
05-27-2005, 10:19 PM
I looked at whipple, didn't see any to mount to Vortec heads

WayneHi wayne,the whipple charger bolts to your intake making ir a simple installation.remove your carb abd the plate bolts to ware your carb was....and remember if you do a super charger you will have ti install a bigger carb on the engine or it will run lein and distroy your valves..

Ed Donnelly
05-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Rumor has it Dustin has no stock of Whipples and has had to cancel orders he has already received. Like I said Rumor.............Ed

mrfixxall
05-27-2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/images/productimages/marine_gm_smallblock_efi.jpg

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/images/productimages/marine_smallblock.jpgh

heres some pics from whipple ....

mrfixxall
05-27-2005, 11:03 PM
here how the blower plate attaches to your intake....

http://www.454ss.com/gallery/images/whip7.JPG

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 11:23 PM
here how the blower plate attaches to your intake....

OK, Got 'cha, on the first 2 pictures in your prior post, I see no carb, are those TBI / EFI models?

I'm carbed, no computer.

Wayne

gcarter
05-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Wayne, if you look carefully at Jamies pics, you can see the injectors.
Aftermarket programmable injection systems are a pain to set up. They can take many, many hours.

mrfixxall
05-28-2005, 10:04 AM
:beer:
OK, Got 'cha, on the first 2 pictures in your prior post, I see no carb, are those TBI / EFI models?

I'm carbed, no computer.

Wayne

Thay make them for any application efi,carb just make sure you install a retard box on your ignition and a bigger carb..I suggest a 800 cfm from proform execelent carb for half the money compared to holly ..