PDA

View Full Version : I'm geeked!

Cuda
05-26-2005, 06:39 PM
I just came back from dropping the Minx in for a short ride this evening. I couldn't be happier with the way it ran. I ran upriver about 3 or 4 miles, staying at 3000, and bumped it up to 4200 on the way back. Pulls smooth throughout the rpm range so far. Oil pressure was about 65 running, and not dropping below 40 after the run. Nice lope to the idle. The only issue I have is it tends to load up when idling. I had the same problem with this carb on the other engine. It's a Q-jet that was for a bbc. I understand that it's the same carb as the sbc, with different metering rods. Is that correct?

MOP
05-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Joe the Qjets are a real nice carb when you get them right, there are a few articles on the net on set, jetting and metering rods. I found several sets of rods in my antique tool box but am old and forgot what to do wtih them :biggrin:

See if you can find out what letter rods, I may have them.

Cuda
05-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks Phil. I think they are listed in Moore's book that I have around here somewhere.

BUIZILLA
05-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Don't change the metering rods yet... you may just have a primary power valve spring issue if the cam is nastier than stock...

JH

Cuda
05-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Don't change the metering rods yet... you may just have a primary power valve spring issue if the cam is nastier than stock...

JH
What should I try Jim? It does have a fairly lumpy cam. He told me what cam, but now I forgot. A 500 something or other.