PDA

View Full Version : Opinion : Bare Or Not !

DON N.
05-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Almost Ready To Install New Shift Cable . Merc Book Tells You To
Grease The Cable Before Putting It In To Housing . Boat Mechanic Told Me Put It In Dry So It Dosen't Get Sticky.

Trueser
05-26-2005, 04:31 PM
No grease............

Try stemtostern.com for shift cable directions.

MOP
05-26-2005, 06:08 PM
You are talking about where it goes into the transom shield? If so I would use grease in fresh and non hardening gasket compound in salt. If the boot fails or by chance bilge water gets that high in the bilge and it gets wet it can corrode and it will be a nightmare to get it out down the road.

Phil

DON N.
05-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks For That Idea . But No , I Was Talking About When The Bare Shift Cable Gets Inserted Into It's Protective Housing .

MOP
05-26-2005, 08:50 PM
My mistake I thought you were doing a full cable change, the inner is best left dry grease tends to gumb them up. Though I have found that when they do get sticky feeding anti freeze down into them makes them slick as Goose S#(%.

Phil

DON N.
05-27-2005, 04:53 PM
I Am Doing A Full Cable Change . It's Probably The Way I'm Describing Things.

MOP
05-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Don my 2 cents again where it goes through the transom shield clean the hole well then depending whether fresh or salt use coat the area. I like non hardening gasket compound as it stays put and it will stop any possible corrosion from setting in and aid in its removal down the road. I am an old forgetful boat mechanic but I know how important it is to take the few extra minutes to make sure things comes apart again.

Phil