PDA

View Full Version : Corvette

Cuda
05-26-2005, 05:49 AM
Can someone tell me a good Vette forum? I found a Vette I'm interested in buying, and I'd like to learn more about them before I take the plunge.

Fish boy
05-26-2005, 06:22 AM
can't help you with the forum, but man I sure miss mine. what vette are you looking at?

Cuda
05-26-2005, 06:25 AM
A buddy of mine has a client who is an elderly woman. Apparently the Vette belonged to her husband who passed away years ago. It's been kept in her garage since. It's a 1989 Red convertible, with 31,000 miles on it. She is asking $12k for it. I haven't seen it yet, but my buddy said it's flawless other than the dust on it. He just called me yesterday while I was heading to St Pete. I've always wanted a 1988 convertible since one of my old bosses had one that I drove once in a while. I hope to take a look at it this weekend.

Greg K
05-26-2005, 06:30 AM
Can someone tell me a good Vette forum? I found a Vette I'm interested in buying, and I'd like to learn more about them before I take the plunge.
Try www.digitalcorvettes.com :convertib

gcarter
05-26-2005, 07:46 AM
About the only kind of boat you can pull with one would be a small PWC. :hyper: :cool: :beer:

Greg K
05-26-2005, 09:29 AM
About the only kind of boat you can pull with one would be a small PWC. :hyper: :cool: :beer:

I know someone here knows for sure, but didn't Drago drag an 18 around behind a Vette??

olredalert
05-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Cuda,

------ You are 100% correct to look for a bit of help. The major mistake made by Vette purchasers is thinking they can do it themselves. That can cost a guy serious bucks. I have been buying and selling Corvettes for 30 years. Many of those years it was my major income. If the car is older than 82 give me a call and I can critique it by phone. I dont have any interest, therefore no substantive knowledge about Vettes any newer. I actually have a quasi-professional appraisal service for friends if there is some question on the car. Depending on where the car is I also may be able to set you up with someone relatively local as anal as me that will check it out throughly. 810-326-0490. If Im not around Ill get back to you as quick as I can............Bill S
------If you need verification of my credentials just ask Poodle!!!

MOP
05-26-2005, 10:18 AM
If it is sweet 12K sounds pretty darn good, and that is the ASK!

synack
05-26-2005, 10:26 AM

The biggest is probably http://www.corvetteforum.com/

They cover every generation and have lots of good info. Vette's are awesome! Get it!

pmreed
05-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Yep, Gene Drago pulled his 18 Classic, 007, behind his old vette.

Phil

olredalert
05-26-2005, 02:38 PM
-----I think Im going blind, Cuda. I never saw your second post with the 1989 part. Nevermind!!!!!!.......Really ol red...........Bill S

-----$12,000 is only a fair price. If the car is as clean as they say it would be OK. The top is kind of pricy to replace and often either worn out or bleached out down there in Fla. Seat sections are readily available as well and good ones are priced pretty fair but its still money. Hope this helps!

Cuda
05-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Yep, Gene Drago pulled his 18 Classic, 007, behind his old vette.

Phil
I'm not short on tow vehicles. My 250 will pull everything I own, and Debbie's Sport Trac will pull everything except my 302.

Cuda
05-26-2005, 02:59 PM
-----I think Im going blind, Cuda. I never saw your second post with the 1989 part. Nevermind!!!!!!.......Really ol red...........Bill S

-----$12,000 is only a fair price. If the car is as clean as they say it would be OK. The top is kind of pricy to replace and often either worn out or bleached out down there in Fla. Seat sections are readily available as well and good ones are priced pretty fair but its still money. Hope this helps!
Thanks Bill, I'll go take a look at it, the decide if it's worth the money. If I don't think it's top notch, I may talk her down on price. One of the reasons I was interested in it is a guy I worked for way back when had an 88 Vette convertible that I drove a few times. I thought it was a gorgeous car, and I loved driving it. I always wanted one since. I saw my dad this weekend, and I reminded him of the advice he gave me after high school. He told me if I ever wanted a Vette, I better buy one before I ever get married. :)

gcarter
05-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Road & Track did a spread on used Corvette buying. Not values, but the things to watch for on individual years and equipment. For instance, the three speed transmission plus overdrive used for several years was frowned on.
I think they have an on-line index, you might even find the article on line.

McGary911
05-26-2005, 04:21 PM
You may want to check out www.corvetteforum.com they have a decent amount of info there. The one you're checking out is a C4.....they have a forum just for those..Good luck.

olredalert
05-26-2005, 04:33 PM
------George is mostly right. I think he may be thinking of the 4+3 manual trans. Not one of GMs finest moments. Kind of like the 4100 Caddy motor but not quite so bad. The auto trans is just a 700 R4 (overdrive) and they are pretty much bullet proof. This 89 you are going to look at is a fairly late tuned-port and therefore pretty hardy, however worlds away from the slightly later LT1s that powered the 1992 up cars. Those LT1s put the horsepower back in Corvettes. Unless you just have to have this 1989 I would suggest going up to at least a 1992 just for the powertrain. If you could drive both you would just go "whoa", and there isnt much of a money penalty, if any. I have a good friend in Orlando, "Rogers Corvettes", that you might visit and slip my name in to see what he has. He specializes in really clean low-mile Vettes! No harm in looking before you buy the 1989!!!!!!!...........Bill S

Donzigo
05-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Cuda,

My 1989 Red Covertable is for sale. It's got $1,000 of new tires with 50 miles on them, New top = $1,000, a kick butt stereo with amp, the inside has been gone through by me, disassembled to the dashboard. I put the chip, K & N air filter, etc. etc. I'm asking $12,000; but, to you or Fishboy, make me a resonable offer. It's ready to go to California. Stays in my garage and gets 500 miles a year put on it. It would be a pleasure to see it go to you. I'm NOT going to sell it to just anybody. It's my hard work, and I can sell it to whom I wish. I have had a couple of freinds look at it; but they wanted new. Said this one is the nicest they've seen. It still has the yellow crayon markings under the hood, from when it came from the factory. Bring your white glove and rub it accross the inside of the hood, no problem. Hit the tires while you're at it.........spotless. You & Deb or the Fishboy would be the right people to get it.

Why am I selling? - Smila had her car stolen from the driveway 3 monthes ago, and I promised her that when she gets it back from Maher Chevrolet, I would sell the Vette so she could park inside.

Richard 727-709-2918

Cuda
05-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Richard, can you email me a few pics? I know it's perfect if you have it.

Cuda
05-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Richard, can you send some pics to me?

Btw, I made it clear to Debbie, SHE AIN'T GETTIN' MY VETTE! :beer:

She's claimed every boat I've bought for her own. A man's got to have something he can call his own. :shades:

Cuda
05-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Richard, I just showed Debbie your post. She said she saw it when she picked up the ferns from you that night. She said it was an awesome car. She wanted to know if the poster came with it. :)

Zudnic
05-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Overall $12,000 is a good price for a 1989 convertable. The six speed manual is really good from a reliability standpoint, made by ZF in Germany, Mercedes, Porsche uses them for their tranny's. If it is this trans though it annoys me. It has a computer bypass which will lock out gears (6th and 5th), force up shift to third versus second at times, all for fuel economy.The only other thing I don't like about this year is Z51 was only available on the coupes. This is the performance handling package. Vettes with this option got 1G on the skid pad and better gear ratio's bumped the power output up a bit. But I think Z52 was option for all, stiffer springs, the nicer 17 wheels, bigger rotors, engine oil cooler, heavy duty radiator. Less restrictive mufflers however only on the coupes. Z52 only gains about 5hp from the stock 240HP. Convertables with this I would say are worth more to people with track events on their mind. Easier for them to retrofit the topless version to Z51 gear ratio and slightly stiffer springs.

BUIZILLA
05-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Just get a skip-shift module for the tranny issue.

JH

NYStockboy
05-26-2005, 08:21 PM
www.corvetteforum.com is great. You will be able to read thousands of posts from owners of the year(s) that you are most interested in. They also have wonderful members that are extremely helpful, just like members of this forum.

Good Luck!

Ken

RonZi
05-26-2005, 08:38 PM
A buddy of mine has a client who is an elderly woman. Apparently the Vette belonged to her husband who passed away years ago. It's been kept in her garage since. It's a 1989 Red convertible, with 31,000 miles on it. She is asking $12k for it. I haven't seen it yet, but my buddy said it's flawless other than the dust on it. He just called me yesterday while I was heading to St Pete. I've always wanted a 1988 convertible since one of my old bosses had one that I drove once in a while. I hope to take a look at it this weekend.

Just like an old Donzi..they don't like to sit around. If you get the Vette, you'll be hooked like I was ...30 years ago.. now Im' hooked on Both...:checkered

RonZi
05-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Cuda,

My 1989 Red Covertable is for sale. It's got $1,000 of new tires with 50 miles on them, New top = $1,000, a kick butt stereo with amp, the inside has been gone through by me, disassembled to the dashboard. I put the chip, K & N air filter, etc. etc. I'm asking $12,000; but, to you or Fishboy, make me a resonable offer. It's ready to go to California. Stays in my garage and gets 500 miles a year put on it. It would be a pleasure to see it go to you. I'm NOT going to sell it to just anybody. It's my hard work, and I can sell it to whom I wish. I have had a couple of freinds look at it; but they wanted new. Said this one is the nicest they've seen. It still has the yellow crayon markings under the hood, from when it came from the factory. Bring your white glove and rub it accross the inside of the hood, no problem. Hit the tires while you're at it.........spotless. You & Deb or the Fishboy would be the right people to get it.

Why am I selling? - Smila had her car stolen from the driveway 3 monthes ago, and I promised her that when she gets it back from Maher Chevrolet, I would sell the Vette so she could park inside.

Richard 727-709-2918

I think I'd sell my wife before I'd sell my Vette.. But , at least my wife doesn't leak on the garage floor..

DonzigoJR
05-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Just wanted to add that if your looking at the ole mans vette its in perfect shape....Hes had me detailing it for the last 6 years even though it never goes anywhere and lives under a cover in a air conditioned garage :puke: Sick...I know. I went ahead and test drove it a few minutes ago....She ran great ........I burn't half of the tires off in the front yard(He was gone) :yes: and then burnt the rest of the tread of going around the circle by maximo marina;)..... Man does that car run right...LMAO.

Just kidding:) Its really nice though. Nice 18' five star crome rims too. He forgot to add that. It really does a lot for the car.....And the top is faitly new as well(no leaks).

David

gold-n-rod
05-27-2005, 04:41 AM
I think I'd sell my wife before I'd sell my Vette.. But , at least my wife doesn't leak on the garage floor..

Yet..... give her time!!!! :smash:

Fish boy
05-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Just like an old Donzi..they don't like to sit around. If you get the Vette, you'll be hooked like I was ...30 years ago.. now Im' hooked on Both...:checkered

Man, tell me about it. For years (literally) after selling mine it seemed like every road I was on was a twisty curvy road that was calling for that amazing vette handling. Almost like I was being taunted by the vette gods. Sounds crazy, but I am serious!!! There is just someting about the way the car hugs you inside, hugs the road outside, snap your neck acceleration, and beautiful sound. I am getting teary eyed....

Donzigo
05-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Here's a picture of the Vette. I had to wait 8 years for Kathy Genth to give up the DONZI Florida State tag. That doesn't go witht he Vette.

Richard

................I've tried 3 times to upload the pic, says it's working, then doesn't appear in the post..........????????

Cuda
05-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Richard, email it to me. jgriffith10@cfl.rr.com

dfunde01
05-27-2005, 01:28 PM

Try ZO6vette.com It is VForum board also. Ver helpful folks.

Dave

HollaGeo
05-27-2005, 08:44 PM
As long as it hasn't been played with. Aftermarket exhaust, headers, etc. That is + one for you.