PDA

View Full Version : Pictures No Way! BB Stuff

MOP
05-25-2005, 04:53 PM
OK OK this BORING OLD GUY finally got his act together and got some FILM developed!

I know some will say my 22 is no longer a true Classic with the changes, I wanted to make it better, with double layered 3/4" stringers, new transom, extra bulk head, 8 transverses, 2 glassed in seat struts that tie the hull, stringers, seat back all together is very strong. It will never see it but the glass guy from Hustler boats who did the structural work says it will take 1000 hp no problem.

I will try to explain the shots, they are of the in progress of the cooling system, Crank vent experiment, transformation of battery box and center tub, home made coil mount, bilge shots, mufflers, drive shot. Note anything that is wood mounted or that was used in the stringer and transom rebuild is of 7 ply treated marine grade that was aged in my stash for near 20 years, I have a piece ½ buried outside in the dirt and weather for at least 6 months with -0- signs of anything bad. This is one will never suffer any future rot!

Most everything that is not an off the shelf item was made by me some you can see some you can't. The cooling system needs some different angle goose necks but these were in my stash and work fine for now, its bulkhead will be cleated to add side and top panels to make it a complete but removable bulkhead, the sea strainer mount is through bolted with 5200, T&T same with 5200, center tub chopped down to make a very nice sized and very sturdy glove box, the battery box was cleaved off at the bottom to make a storage box under rear seat, it is firmly mounted on 3/4 ply a top the stringers lagged and glued to the stringer tops it is cleated to the seat surface with Yup I tried PL glue on the cleats but it will be full thickness glassed to the seat area which if you look back I have 8" struts glassed to the hull and stringers that also tie into that area for more support(3 400 pounders can ride back there if it will plane, the battery box's flaky tabbing on the bottom was the sole seat support it crackled like blazes acted like a trampoline as it had failed many years before.

I had to make up a coil bracket as it was to big to mount by the distributer, it had a little vibration so I made a strut rolled a rib into it which cured that. Hmm why is that wire on the coil lead?

The crank case vent systems on marine does next to nothing I am experimenting with a vent on one valve cover and a double intake to the other to try for some air flow, moisture is a killer. That is still being worked out to get a little more suction.

Matty the mufflers are pictured below!

The drive height is much higher then I thought it would be, if I tap the trim just to get it level with the hull the bottom of the gear case is level with the bottom just skeg and prop are wet. I thought that the gear case would be below the keel, that shot my idea of any bow lift in the foot!

Some links to past posts below.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39332
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39086
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38962

10 years younger and it would be done already, this old bod is suffering!

DON N.
05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Very Impressive !

smokediver
05-26-2005, 06:02 AM
looking good MOP ... looks like a lot of thought was put into it ...

MOP
05-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement but honestly "Bit off" a lot and still Chewing on it, finally getting real close still need to work out propping or drive swap. Engine sounds great and is very strong, I know there are quite a few that will blow its doors off but that is not its purpose. I think I am getting close to my goal thats what counts.

Phil

Mr X
05-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Very nice Phil!!
How did you determine the X-dim with the BH drive?
I would think it is perfect.....with surface props...
Also, why not run the BH props??
Everything looks NICE!!!!!!

MOP
05-26-2005, 10:13 AM
The X-dim is stock Alpha, from all the stuff that was posted I was convinced the drive would be much lower, look at the muffler shot the pipes are not high like you see with a raised X. I may have to go to BH wheels hope not to pricy and availability sucks, the B3's are cheap and availibilty is a bit better. I know I am sacrificing speed but I believe the mid range with be good with very little slip, I am hoping for 45 + or - as a cruise without kicking the back barrels in. I went with 28" basing on how the drive ran on Dave's 22, turns out I think the B3's have to much blade area making them harder to turn. Look at the shots in post below the B3 wheels like paddles compared to the BH, I have been asking about this some think the BH are designed to allow slip at lower RPM's but hook up at higher RPM's. I have no clue most all of my prop work has been with stock setups, I need the help of finer minds. I want to try 24" B3's to see what they will do, wrong time of year up here to find a set to try.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39987

Phil

jstokes8407
05-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Lookin Good You gona have it in the water for this beautiful weekend ?

I spent all week redoing the wiring and replacing all the rollers on the trailer all i got left is to give her a fluff N buff and I'll put her in sunday and monday to tear up the bay

penbroke
05-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Looking good Phil! I know it's a lot of work but you'll have what you want in the end. I hope you can find some props to complete your experiment before you swap the drive out...

What are those odd looking reducing fittings on the exhaust tips? Is that for some kind of shore hose hookup or somthin'? :wink:

Frank
Muffl... what?? Really?? You must be joking. :wavey:

mrfixxall
05-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Ha! mop your drive looks a bit too high you may want to consider a low water pick up . looks good!

MOP
05-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Mr. Stokes that is a NOT for a week or sooner I hope! No props still hunting a set!

Frank those are Matty hang over cans! What are those odd looking reducing fittings on the exhaust tips? Is that for some kind of shore hose hookup or somthin'?

mrfixxall the BH water pickups are below the gear case down on the skeg lower then low water nose jobs!

PS Another plea for a set of 24" BIII wheels! I don't want to give up the cool rooster tail but will not flog my new motor with the 28's!

boxy
05-27-2005, 10:29 PM
MOP, nice mufflres....

Hung over or not, if somebody fires off their boat unmuffled before 7:00 AM, I'll donate a new artificial reef to the local divers..... :D

mattyboy
05-27-2005, 10:36 PM
did someone say hung over????? not me???

MOP
05-27-2005, 11:10 PM
There has been some interesting mail on the 7AM subject, I almost can't wait!!!!!

boxy
05-27-2005, 11:19 PM
MOP, it won't bother me, but if you wake my wife up from a deep sleep on one of her very few mornings to sleep in without kids I would not want to be you ........ :D

MOP
05-28-2005, 12:47 AM
MOP, it won't bother me, but if you wake my wife up from a deep sleep on one of her very few mornings to sleep in without kids I would not want to be you ........ :D

I'm the one with the :cool: tail pipe stuffers, I'll be sneaking in :spongebob :biggrin: :biggrin: