PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 gelcoat

stinky-d
05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I see there are a number of folks out there who have or are restoring a classic. I have a '95 Sweet 16 with a red hull and red deck stripe. The guy I bought it from didn't take very good care of it. The gelcoat is pretty faded but the boat is in great shape mechanically and structurally. This is my first Donzi and while I know how to do mechanical and upholstry restoration I'm not sure of the best way to restore faded gelcoat. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this something I should attempt on my own or should I pay a qualified craftsman? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get this little beauty looking like it did 10 years ago. Thanks guys.:)

MOP
05-25-2005, 05:03 PM
You may just get away with compounding, if not some wet sanding with very fine grit then compounding and wax it up. Red is a sharp color on the 16 it is worth the effort, glad to have you aboard the board.

Phil

gold-n-rod
05-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Do a search. Someone in the past week got a very detailed answer to a similar question about a yellow Classic. No sense repeating. (Not that my wife would agree, she's the queen of repeating. :rolleyes:

stinky-d
05-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the quick response. I've done the compound but the finish is too dead. I appreciate the point to the yellow 18. He seems to have the same problem. (That yellow is an awesome color) I've talked to Minicraft in the past but did not realize they could help so much. I'll get with them again and my local refinish guy and see what I can work out. If anybody else has any info, please sound off. Hopefully I can get this baby lookin' right soon!
Thanks again,
Steve:beer:

Rootsy
05-25-2005, 08:41 PM
when i bought my 97 16 the red stripe was pink... it took some hard work and some experience but she shines like new now...

3M super duty compound on a wool pad for fast cutting action... then finesse-it III on a foam pad to remove any swirls.. then a finishing compound on a foam pad to polish it.. then 3 coats of collinite with a good scrubbing and a few days in between coats

the result.. and YES it was a bright faded dull pink...

JR

Lenny
05-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Steve, are you compounding with a polisher? Big difference.

Between 3-M rubbing compound, wool wheel, and "Finesse It" wool wheel, there is not much that can't be brought back. I have seen night and day , "like new" comparisons in 35 year old boats. I believe with the right equipment you will get it back. Gel is pretty forgiving...

Lenny...another owner of faded out old fart boats...

stinky-d
05-26-2005, 12:30 PM
JR and Lenny,Thanks for the info. I use a power polisher. However, I don't know what collinite is and I haven't heard of "Finesse It". are they a type of wax or sealant? Ive also got a couple of gouges in the front strip down to the glass. is there any way to match / fill that?
Thanks,
Steve

Sam
05-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Collinite is a wax that you can buy at most of the majior marine stores. It goes on nice but can be hard to get off if you put it on to thick. Finesse is a 3-M finishing product. It will take out small scratches and give a nice even look to the surface, it needs be sealed with a wax. Again you can get it at West Marine or Boat US stores.

Sam

stinky-d
05-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Sam,
Thanks for the info.
Steve

Sam
05-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Steve, I have a 1996 red 16 that needed some TLC on the deck. Beyond the 3-M products Meguiares makes some good stuff as well. You might want to try this combo, it is a factory staple.

1.No.49 Oxidation Remover
2.No. 45 Polish
3.No63 Flagship Wax

Use in that order and you might be suprised at the results, good luck.

Sam